Brapper488

TTR125 YZ85 conversion

Doing this conversion for my daughters brapper, but cannot find a 16” rear yz85 wheel.  Other than buying a 16” rim and yz85 hub and lacing myself, are there other options?  

A YZ85 rear wheel has a disc brake, while the TTR125 uses a drum brake.  You need to do a swingarm conversion or build a new swingarm.   

12 hours ago, Brapper488 said:

Socalxr, I put a YZ 85 swingarm on, I do not want to put a 14" rear wheel on!

Oh ok.  Then yea, you have to lace up a rim.  The only bummer about the YZ swing is it's made for a 14" wheel, so your wheel base is shorter.  Yamaha used to sell a big wheel kit. But, not sure if they still do.  It included a set of spokes, rims, and a swingarm.  I just bought a set of aftermarket YZ85 big wheels on ebay for about $400.  

What exactly is a “TTR125 to YZ85” conversion? Just rear swing arm and rear shock from YZ85 to the TTR125? And why would you need a new rear wheel? Wouldn’t the TTR already have one?

On 3/13/2019 at 4:27 AM, Tahoe Gator said:

What exactly is a “TTR125 to YZ85” conversion? Just rear swing arm and rear shock from YZ85 to the TTR125? And why would you need a new rear wheel? Wouldn’t the TTR already have one?

The YZ wheel has a disc brake.  TTR wheel is a drum brake.

There are a few on Ebay here and there, but as you stated Socalxr, prices are high.  I found a 16" rim from a yz85 with a crack that I just might buy and have welded up.  The clearance is tight with the 16" wheel, but they fit with the stock yz85 swingarm.  put KX100 forks and rear shock on, new top end, turned flywheel down, VM26 Mikuni, FMF pipe, and hopefully that is all!