97 KX 250 transmission spins freely, but won't shift

after replacing the crank on my kx 250, i closed the cases back together and now my transmission wont shift! the transmission is in gear and both shafts spin freely with no binding. based on the position of the gear selector star and selector star roller/locker it appears to be in 1st gear. when attempting to up shift to neutral, the roller appears to not be able to fully make it up onto the neutral notch of the selector star before being jammed. 

the service manual im using is vague at best and upon assembly i thought i had it right.. im 95% sure the shift forks are in the right spot, as it matched up well with what the manual described. the place where im guessing i went wrong was the placement of the shift fork pins into the grooves of the drum. does anyone have any suggestions or advice on lining up the shift forks and the drum position? 

Thanks! ? 

Alot of possibilities happened. Best thing to do is watch a few video's and read the manual a few times. Then take it back apart and look closely and you will see the issue. I wouldn't keep trying to shift it and cause any damage. If it's not shifting and you put the motor back together and fire it up and click it into gear bad things can and will happen. Make sure to keep any and all washers and shims that go on the end of the trans shafts against the cases. 

Be sure to check that the male and female sides of the gears all mesh. If you’ve installed any of the gears the wrong way around (if removed from the shafts during your rebuild), then the drum and forks won’t be able to function correctly due to lack of allowed travel.

I’d pull the whole transmission out again, including the removal of gears from shafts, and reinstall everything again.

IMG_4954.jpg

IMG_4953.jpg

That’s how everything should line up on a ‘97.