little_bread

2011 KTM 350 xcf opinions for beginner/intermediate rider

Hey fellas, I’m new to the forum, but have been browsing various threads for some time now. I tried to find some threads that were similar to my situation, but like most posters, mine of course feels unique.

I have been looking to buy a dirtbike after a long season of on/off riding (twice-four times a year). I’m 21yo, 5’11”, weighing 195 corn-fed pounds with no gear on. My budget is around $4000, and I will be riding primarily on atv trails and logging roads, as well as exploring smaller mx tracks and single tracks. I also would love to start fostering some mechanic skills. I started riding when I was 13 and worked my way up to feeling comfortable on a Husqvarna wr125 and a crf250x around the age of 16, but that was 5 years ago. Occasionally I go riding with some buddies that have an extra crf230, which is fun, but the suspension bottoms out if I hit a dust pile the right way. But enough background…

There is a good deal nearby on a 2011 KTM 350 xcf that looks brand new and comes with some extras (air filters, tires, etc.), and I’ve been seriously considering purchasing it. I feel like if I put a 7oz flywheel weight and G2 throttle tamer on it, it could take enough punch away for me not to launch myself into a tree, ditch, or another person. HOWEVER, I also don’t want to make a $4000 mistake on a bike that scares me every time I ride it. The dirtbike market in my area is surprisingly slim, so I’ve been having some trouble finding the appropriate bike. So instead of buying a new crf230 (the only new bike near my budget), and modding it until its what I need (which will put me way over budget), Id like to see if this ktm will be right for me.

I like the idea of a super light bike that has room for me to grow, but I don't wanna hate the bike until I'm skilled enough to ride it well.

I appreciate any direction you guys could give me directly or by pointing me to another thread, thank you!

• Like 1

About a month ago a buddy let me ride his 2011 KTM 350 XC-W. This week I'm pulling the trigger on a 2019 350XCF. The power is not beasty IMHO. It's good, but no hit and extremely linear. Down low it's good, but not arm jerking and the mid-range on up is excellent. This bike loves to be revved. I'm an experience rider, but I still don't think this bike will devour a newer rider assuming reasonable throttle control. You could try the G2 b/c it's easily removed, but me, I wouldn't flywheel weight it. The free revving motor is one the characteristic loved about the 350. I love the 350s. Rides light similiar to a 250F, def more bark, and almost the bark of a 450 in the midrange on up (if you want it).

20190202_100739[1].jpg

The 11is much gentler than the 19