CDNSXV

Not Impressed At All

Not impressed at all by the reaction I got from Moose Racing regarding my experience with their tie down brace.  

We've had this product a few seasons now and it has only ever been used to tie down my wife's TTR230 and only ever with normal cam lock tie downs.  Never used ratchet tie downs on them.  

The product is made of aluminum and has basically bent and distorted from what I'd consider normal use.  The wife rides maybe half as often as I do and her bike gets tied down same way as mine, however the one piece plastic tie down brace I use on my bike has been just fine.

These are the pics I sent to Moose Racing and they came back and basically blamed me for the damage, suggesting I used this thing in some weird way nobody would ever consider.  

Pretty much every part of the brace is bent or warped.  TBH I wasn't even after a replacement as it was such a POS product I don't want another one.  But their reaction has convinced me not to consider any of their products again.  YMMV

IMG_3835.JPG

IMG_3837.JPG

IMG_3836.JPG

IMG_3838.JPG

Do you use that between the front tire and the fender? If so, first, it is not at all needed and second, you way over tightened things. Snug is all.

• Like 17
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

Get a 2x4. Or don't, I don't believe that those things actually save your fork springs at all.

• Like 10
  • Helpful 1

I've got two of those exact braces. They both look like new after 4-5 years of 1-2 times a week use. There is no way that happened under normal conditions... I used ratchets for the first two years and tended to over tighten with them.

Tough luck. I'd say it's the products fault if one spot was damaged, but that thing is mangled.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, CO MotoRider said:

I've got two of those exact braces. They both look like new after 4-5 years of 1-2 times a week use. There is no way that happened under normal conditions... I used ratchets for the first two years and tended to over tighten with them.

Tough luck. I'd say it's the products fault if one spot was damaged, but that thing is mangled.

That didn't happen all in one go.  It is from years of use.  I've never used a ratchet on these so the most I could ever achieve is hand pressure.

Posted (edited)

Sorry to hear about your experience with Moose Racing.

With that being said I don't understand these devices or the people who crank their forks down with amazing amounts of force.   I used motorcycle specific tie downs with carabiner's built in to both ends.  I can literally not compress the forks at all and the bike would not fall over and the straps won't come off.   I do compress the forks just the slightest amount (probably less than 1 inch) just to stabilize the bike so it doesn't rock at all.

I highly recommend straps like these.  Try them and resist the urge to crank the forks down.  You'll never go back.

*EDIT:  The brand is PowerTye in case anyone is looking for these specific ones.  Made in the USA too!

straps.jpg

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, CDNSXV said:

Pretty much every part of the brace is bent or warped.

Did you run that thing over with a big quad?

50 minutes ago, CDNSXV said:

But their reaction has convinced me not to consider any of their products again.  YMMV

Really happy with all my Moose Racing purchases. Had to contact customer service once, and I was super impressed with the courtesy and speed that they corrected the problem. Customer for life! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Why do people use fork savers? For air forks? There's no pressure increase when spring forks are compressed I don't understand how it supposedly saves your seals..

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, The Creature said:

Why do people use fork savers? For air forks? There's no pressure increase when spring forks are compressed I don't understand how it supposedly saves your seals..

There is pressure increase. Tie your bike down and open the bleeder screw. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Replace it with a good quality polycarbonate unit. I've had the same one for over a decade.

Exactly what I am gonna do.

1. Use a piece of PVC pipe. Stronger, cheaper, and absolutely will NOT slip.

This is from a lot of years of tying down 4 bikes side by side in a toyhauler.  Any side to side movement of the bars tends to created unwanted ventilation in the windows, especially when towing on rough roads and off-road.  "Snug" just won't cut it.

:smirk:

• Like 1

The reason I use them is so the forks aren’t compressed overnight when traveling and staying at hotels. I used to loosen the straps and hope to remember in the morning. And yes, snug doesn’t cut it. Have you seen the way I drive ?

Holy crap. easy there tiger. I never use ratchet style. Not necessary,. standard mc tiedowns good ancra snug up it up and good to go..

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

That looks like you ran it over, used it as a bike stand, or are way over tightening your bikes.  Just ditch it altogether, they aren't necessary.

Edited by mbrick
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Scott Clemens said:

The reason I use them is so the forks aren’t compressed overnight when traveling and staying at hotels. I used to loosen the straps and hope to remember in the morning. And yes, snug doesn’t cut it. Have you seen the way I drive ?

The compression is very similar to riding the bike, does that kill your seals and springs? There is no way you drive worse than I do! I used camlocks, snugged down pretty tight.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CDNSXV said:

Not impressed at all by the reaction I got from Moose Racing regarding my experience with their tie down brace.  

We've had this product a few seasons now and it has only ever been used to tie down my wife's TTR230 and only ever with normal cam lock tie downs.  Never used ratchet tie downs on them.  

The product is made of aluminum and has basically bent and distorted from what I'd consider normal use.  The wife rides maybe half as often as I do and her bike gets tied down same way as mine, however the one piece plastic tie down brace I use on my bike has been just fine.

These are the pics I sent to Moose Racing and they came back and basically blamed me for the damage, suggesting I used this thing in some weird way nobody would ever consider.  

Pretty much every part of the brace is bent or warped.  TBH I wasn't even after a replacement as it was such a POS product I don't want another one.  But their reaction has convinced me not to consider any of their products again.  YMMV

IMG_3835.JPG

IMG_3837.JPG

IMG_3836.JPG

IMG_3838.JPG

I assume you are using this with your trailer hitch  bike carrier?

I am just going to reiterate what has been stated above:  these things are a waste of time and money. 

• Like 10