KTM753

Will AER 48 cartridges fit other WP fork tubes? Xplor ? 4CS? OC?

I just purchased a set of 2018 300 XC AER cartridges on the cheap. My intension was to have a 2nd set to tune and make comparisons to my current setup. 

But, I got to wondering, would these cartridges fit in other WP fork tubes? Xplor ? 4CS? My 2007 Open Chambers I also have?

The 2007 has much stiffer outer tubes ( upper ) so I would say not to use those ,the oc fork it's possible ? As Byran says the xplor and 4cs are shorter

I just purchased a set of 2018 300 XC AER cartridges on the cheap. My intension was to have a 2nd set to tune and make comparisons to my current setup. 

But, I got to wondering, would these cartridges fit in other WP fork tubes? Xplor ? 4CS? My 2007 Open Chambers I also have?

Tubes are the same length.

There are some variations in tube stiffness in outer tubes 2006-09,2010-16,17-19

But basically the axle clamps are the difference between xplor ,4cs, OC and

CC/AER.(Note CC and AER are interchangeable , however 48601469,48601506 adaptors are needed) obviously small and large axle versions differ also but not in tube compatibility!

Cartridges define fork assembly length!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Running AER cartridges in Xplor forks with AER bottom clamps. This is what you need to do for the AER's to work.

• Like 1

What's different on the xplor parts that make them work for aer?

On 3/16/2019 at 1:19 AM, mog said:

What's different on the xplor parts that make them work for aer?

AER has different bottoming cups, same lugs otherwise.

also CV forks have a different thread pitch for the cartridge than the AER. I tried to screw my AER into my CV tubes and they didn't screw in

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 3/15/2019 at 9:04 AM, weantright said:

Running AER cartridges in Xplor forks with AER bottom clamps. This is what you need to do for the AER's to work.

If the Xplor cartridges are shorter than AER, the travel would be reduced. I would think this is not desirable.  Why in your opinion is the Xplor upper and lower tubes better than AER? 

I think he means to get it work with a aer cart

31 minutes ago, KTM753 said:

If the Xplor cartridges are shorter than AER, the travel would be reduced. I would think this is not desirable.  Why in your opinion is the Xplor upper and lower tubes better than AER? 

Tubes don't define travel cartridges do. So a longer cartridges makes longer forks but not always longer travel. You would need to adjust fork in clamps to keep the rake correct. I didn't say Xplor tubes were any better just that we used Xplor forks for the conversion that most are seeking. WP uses the same tubes on 99% of the forks on today's bikes, CV's are the oddball. Axle clamps are one of the differences between models.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:12 AM, bowser said:

AER has different bottoming cups, same lugs otherwise.

also CV forks have a different thread pitch for the cartridge than the AER. I tried to screw my AER into my CV tubes and they didn't screw in

This is correct.

Thanks for the replies. I re-read the posts and it makes sense now. AER cartridges will fit in open chamber, closed chamber, 4CS and Xplor. Just need the AER bottoming cups and the correct axle clamps for the axle you plan to use. Does the front caliper swap between all the axle clamps? 

• Like 1