230 Sausage

Pros and cons of 200RR, 250RR, and 300RR...

34 minutes ago, 230 Sausage said:

Well, redhurricane and firffighter have been quite convincing for me, and with my age and build on top of that at 31 years, 5'6" - 160-165 lbs, and coming off of a crf 230f, it seems the 200 RR may be the winner thus far.

However, just to help other folks out there, we can keep up the thread and get multiple perspectives regarding the pros and cons of the various models. I suspect I'll be quite the pendulum until the 2020 models hit the market!

I have clothes older than you are. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have clothes older than you are. 
If that includes underwear you got issues, bruh.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Gave that nonsense up years ago. But do still have the bomber jacket issued to my grandfather, B-17 pilot trainer during WW2. 

• Like 2

If that includes underwear you got issues, bruh.
That's some funny stuff, I don't care who ya are.
On a serious note, I'm only a year or 2 behind you.
  • Like 1

That's some funny stuff, I don't care who ya are.
On a serious note, I'm only a year or 2 behind you.
Ah. So then you know the struggle..

I should be able to give you guys a report on them all next week I’m planning on doing the demo event this weekend

• Like 2

I should be able to give you guys a report on them all next week I’m planning on doing the demo event this weekend
Looking forward to it!

Really cool to see some younger blood on here! 

I was in my early 30's when I really got hard back into dirt biking. Now, barely holding on to the 40's, but still having a blast!  

No doubt the 200 will put a permanent smile on your face! And, really, that's what it's all about! 

• Like 3

Bunch of young kids in here, 30s 40s that is great. We also have some 20 something's and 30 something's on BETAs in several of our local series. This is one of my favorite 250 versus 300 pics. Having ridden them all, I love them all. I am 224 on the 250. Kevin from Fattys Cycle is on the 300 48. This is a Super Senior (50+) pic from 4 or 5 years ago. FB_IMG_1488468583482.jpeg

• Like 4

Bunch of young kids in here, 30s 40s that is great. We also have some 20 something's and 30 something's on BETAs in several of our local series. This is one of my favorite 250 versus 300 pics. Having ridden them all, I love them all. I am 224 on the 250. Kevin from Fattys Cycle is on the 300 48. This is a Super Senior (50+) pic from 4 or 5 years ago. FB_IMG_1488468583482.jpeg.d1e153bc0d4286ae4cfa5cdfa732760e.jpeg
Fatty's cycle in Indiana, correct?

Yes
Heard decent things about that dealer. My two buddies bought their 300s there.

Heard decent things about that dealer. My two buddies bought their 300s there.
I would have purchased there but have been doing business with Steve (motoxgiant, afterhourscycle) for several years. I am in Illinois just across the line from Indiana so race the Indiana Series'. But they have a solid reputation as does Afterhours and Knox Enduro.
  • Like 2

I would have purchased there but have been doing business with Steve (motoxgiant, afterhourscycle) for several years. I am in Illinois just across the line from Indiana so race the Indiana Series'. But they have a solid reputation as does Afterhours and Knox Enduro.
Good to know!

Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2019 at 11:03 PM, 230 Sausage said:

Alrighty, this one is simple. What are the ups and downs of each 2 stroke regarding ridability? What have people experienced between them? What say ye?

Lots of great hands on advice from experienced riders in this thread!  200/250/300 are like your kids...can you (or should you!) really have a favorite!?  I am fortunate to currently own a 19 Beta 200RR and a 19 TX300 and have only ridden them back to back a few times.  Hope to have some lap time comparisons as soon as the weather cooperates here in Ohio.

The Beta 250/300 discussion is an infinite game - both winners.  300 gives up a little rpm quickness for more linear power and torque which can be felt by riders of all experience levels.  The 250 has that livelier feel in both rpm response (easy to notice) and agility (more subtle difference).  Perhaps it can be said they are more similar than different in overall feel.

The Beta 200RR is quite different in feel from the Beta 250/300RR's.  While the 200RR is actually lighter, the crank inertia and location in the slightly smaller chassis make the bike "feel" much lighter and more agile in motion.  The power on the 200RR is well matched to the chassis and the bike feels plenty fast (4th gear wheelies are easy).

The Beta 250/300RR's are well known and great overall bikes.  The Beta 200RR is totally different combination of power/weight/handling and just might be the sleeper off road bike for 2019.

Nice that a small company back in Italy (Beta!) is working hard to give us so many choices!

BBIMG_2667.JPG

IMG_6593.JPG

IMG_0163.jpeg

IMG_0165.jpg

Edited by mxengineer4
  • Like 6

Lots of great hands on advice from experienced riders in this thread!  200/250/300 are like your kids...can you (or should you!) really have a favorite!?  I am fortunate to currently own a 19 Beta 200RR and a 19 TX300 and have only ridden them back to back a few times.  Hope to have some lap time comparisons as soon as the weather cooperates here in Ohio.
The Beta 250/300 discussion is an infinite game - both winners.  300 gives up a little rpm quickness for more linear power and torque which can be felt by riders of all experience levels.  The 250 has that livelier feel in both rpm response (easy to notice) and agility (more subtle difference).  Perhaps it can be said they are more similar than different in overall feel.
The Beta 200RR is quite different in feel from the Beta 250/300RR's.  While the 200RR is actually lighter, the crank inertia and location in the slightly smaller chassis make the bike "feel" much lighter and more agile in motion.  The power on the 200RR is well matched to the chassis and the bike feels plenty fast (4th gear wheelies are easy).
The Beta 250/300RR's are well known and great overall bikes.  The Beta 200RR is totally different combination of power/weight/handling and just might be the sleeper off road bike for 2019.
Nice that a small company back in Italy (Beta!) is working hard to give us so many choices!

BBIMG_2667.JPG.2827aa5954d32261082a82df29d43e18.JPG
IMG_6593.JPG.405d2a981af532bfd942d1171df528cd.JPG
IMG_0163.thumb.jpeg.5c78984e18b4e038528043b54d3533ee.jpeg
IMG_0165.thumb.jpg.f0e366537609d8f94ad007a977546d58.jpg
I like this post. I'm really looking forward to an in depth comparison between your 2 bikes, for sure.

Your comment on the weight of the 200 makes sense, since I immediately "felt" the lightness just pulling it out of the lot before I even hit the trail. They're all light compared to the good ol' 230! Which is why I think the 200 might be the best treat of all. Kinda like taking off the ankle and wrist weights while running, perhaps.

Like I said before, the 250 seemed to ride a little better in the section I was in. But I've never truly brought any of the bikes to life and once I do, I suspect the 200 is going to make to most sense. Especially since I'm a bit new to 2 strokes, and just an intermediate trail rider overall.
  • Like 1

Welp after reading all of this and other threads I'm pretty much sold on a 250rr due to my larger size and predicted future weight gains 🤣 and the trails I ride.  Hopefully i can get another demo soon but my biggest dilemma is do i get the 2019 or if i can maintain a bit of self control wait for the 2020my haha 

Ive been so impressed with Beta and the local community here in Aus and you guys on the forums!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Rode a 19 250XC, s l o w IMO

I have read that the newer KTM 300's really need a head to wake them up as well. 

It's funny. KTM seems to be making their power delivery softer in recent years. Probably because Beta and its nice power delivery are eating up some of their sales. 

Then there's Beta who seems to be making their power delivery a bit more racey as the years go on. Probably because some say the power delivery might be a touch too soft (on the 300's anyway) compared to other brands.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Clasen_Motors_KTM said:

From 1953 till 2003 TWO strokes.  MX-HS-Enduros-Trials - ISDT-ISDE.   As reliable as your maintenance. Maintenace easy and just everybody can change a piston in 3 hours.

From 2003 til 2010 4 strokes (mostly as a KTM dealer I hat too).Sometimes enjoyable,sometimes not.Heavier,more maintenance,more costly( when they get older) Costly for people who can NOT change a Piston on a 4 stroke.

From 2010 to today back on 2 strokes and happy as a youngster again.

But its all depend on what you are doing with your bike,how often you ride it,how good a mechanix you are( or how stinking reach you are).

Pic.1   ISDT 1962       Pic.2   Corduroy 2018 ...

020.jpg

062.jpg

This is SUPER fricken cool BTW. I can only dream of a racing dirtbikes for that long. You are a very lucky man. 

• Like 2

Welp after reading all of this and other threads I'm pretty much sold on a 250rr due to my larger size and predicted future weight gains  and the trails I ride.  Hopefully i can get another demo soon but my biggest dilemma is do i get the 2019 or if i can maintain a bit of self control wait for the 2020my haha 

Ive been so impressed with Beta and the local community here in Aus and you guys on the forums!
Hope them gains are muscular!

I know I'm waiting until 2020 for my purchase. Who knows what new things will be added on those models!