firsthere

How to get out of a hole

Posted (edited)

Lets say you have ridin down a box canyon that has no way out but back up to same route. It is steep, rocky, tight single track, 1st gear most of the way. Suddenly your bike seizes or won't start, a trail repair is impossible. You are forced to walk back out to civilization.

Now, how do you get your bike back?

Edited by firsthere
  • Like 1

I walk back in with the right tools and parts to fix it ASAP and take along a few friends in case we do have to do some pulling and dragging.

I may take off a wheel and pack it out with me to make sure that no one else will take it (short of picking it up with a helicopter) while I am getting the tools/parts together before returning.

I pushed/pulled a KX500 out in a situation described as above when I was young, dumb, and in great shape.  That's not happening now!

• Like 2

I smoked a clutch once and went back in the next day with replacement clutch pack and tools to do it. Tow strap most of the guys I ride with carry one, short of being able to fix, tow it out, if it is some kind of major engine failure would be to pull it apart and pack it out this really would suck I have thought about this exact thing when in Moab and thinking of some of the areas I have been out there.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RevyRoamer said:

Helicopter and long line works to.

Someone just posted a picture of them helicoptering a bike out in another thread but for the life of me I can't remember which one.   I think he said he dropped it off a ledge down into a canyon or something which would have made towing / pushing impossible.

I haven't broken down out on the trail yet knock on wood.  I think a buddy with a tow strap or walking out and returning with what you need to fix it would be the best options.

Waiting for all the "Kiss your [brand I don't like] good bye and go buy a [brand I do like]" comments ... in 3... 2... 1...

Doc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevyRoamer said:

Helicopter and long line works to.

They work well but a bit spendy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, irme42day said:

They work well but a bit spendy.

Comes down to cost-benefit I suppose.  

• Like 1

Last month I flew 4 sleds (snowmobiles) out of a ravine on the hook. Its actually not uncommon especially with atvs and sleds.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, firsthere said:

Lets say you have ridin down a box canyon that has no way out but back up to same route. It is steep, rocky, tight single track, 1st gear most of the way. Suddenly your bike seizes or won't start, a trail repair is impossible. You are forced to walk back out to civilization.

You don't

242.JPG.cf2ee966a582c7b717c3db9ecd8db029.JPG

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I was at our local spot once and broke down pretty far out there , but there is ranger help, you just have to send someone to get them. They sent two kids with hardly any experience in a side by side to tow me out. Long story short the road narrowed down to almost single track and things got ugly. We we ended up using the tow straps tthey brought for me to rescue them as there side by slide sluft off the side of the trail and almost down some serious shit. I got a ride out from a passerby and came the next day to retrieve my bike and them boys said ya it got uglier befor it got. Better but we retrieved the cart. But your bike is still back there. Want to try again?
  • Like 1

I was at our local spot once and broke down pretty far out there , but there is ranger help, you just have to send someone to get them. They sent two kids with hardly any experience in a side by side to tow me out. Long story short the road narrowed down to almost single track and things got ugly. We we ended up using the tow straps tthey brought for me to rescue them as there side by slide sluft off the side of the trail and almost down some serious shit. I got a ride out from a passerby and came the next day to retrieve my bike and them boys said ya it got uglier befor it got. Better but we retrieved the cart. But your bike is still back there. Want to try again?

Oh ya , turns out it was those stupid filter skins! It was a dusty ride that day and I took a mechanicaly experienced Freind with me who took one look at , took it off and said try it now. One kick and we were riding again.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

You don't

242.JPG.cf2ee966a582c7b717c3db9ecd8db029.JPG

*Moment of silence*................😞

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Sad 2

Howdy, I found a XR600 with a broken chain about 3/4 the way through 5MOH.  I started to feel bad for the poor bastard until I took a look at his sprockets.  They were worn to a point.  The front one even had the tops of a couple of teeth broken off.  So I'm thinking that anybody that's going to go out and ride the San Rafael Swell let alone 5MOH with a bike in that condition deserves it.  The condition of that scooter was so bad that I didn't think it was worth the time and gas to drive 90 miles to Moab to get a chain and back.  Figured it ended up like 242.JPG

It's no help to this conversation, but neither is this" You can ride further in an hour than you can walk in a day"

Good Luck

• Like 2

7 hours ago, firsthere said:

I have full coverage on my CRF450L.  Leave it, and call the INS company to fetch it. 

If it goes over a cliff, I am ready to let it go and walk back. I'm older and dont have the stamina to chase after it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, MVI said:

If it goes over a cliff, I am ready to let it go and walk back. 

I hate it when that happens!

• Haha 1

Ya I was mentioning something similar in the topic yesterday and helicopter, back in with parts to fix it and ride out cus at some point towing is impossible.

As mentioned and pretty common using helicopter's to get sleds out around where I live. As see it occasionally during the Dakar races.

e5507aa63a2400b216907875089d9c23.jpg

I few years ago a dude crashed about 15 min's from one of our local staging area's and compound fractured his lower leg and he had to get heli vac'd of the bush cus there was no other why to get him out :(

And good point about making sure the bike is as well maintained and protected as best as possible in the first place if you choose to ride in remote areas but sh&t happens hopefully know one dies.

• Like 2

It might have been my story. A buddy and I rode into an unexplored Canyon. Dropped off a nasty steep ridge line with thick 5-6’ sage on the hills. We rode down the canyon until we ran into two 30-45’ cliffs below us. After fighting for 3 hours, it was close to dark, we were outta water and after the struggle our bikes were almost out of fuel. We hiked 8 miles out in our moto boots, to get cell service, our buddy picked us up just after dark. I got home at about 1 am. We packed in fuel and attempted 2 rescue missions, one from above and one from below with no real success. At this point, all of the moisture in the hills was gone. After brainstorming it for endless hours, we both decided we could grab 3 OT shifts/piece and pay for the heli because we might end up spending 3 more days in the bush trying to extract them. Called the helicopter company, he flew us into the bikes, lifted them out separately to our trucks 10 miles below. Then came back and picked us up. The process took about 30 minutes start to finish. 3 days at work was a hell of a lot easier than 3 days on that god forsaken, rattlesnake infested mountain. IMG_8432.JPGIMG_8431.JPG

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

This is a pict of the helicopter coming in to extract a casualty after a remote broken bone injury. 

image.png.cf3ed54c6f223b1757796fb6f836b624.png

Unfortunately those government helicopters won't fetch your bike or quad. Between our search team and local off-road clubs we have rescued the odd vehicle for the unfortunate victim. I carry a rope just in case it happens to me or one of my troop. 

image.png.2d19c3083a3a2cf70b5ecbcc45b723bb.png

This article is pretty good at explaining the process: Towing a bike with a rope

Keeping the rope low on both bikes is key in rough terrain. I generally loop it around the front axle (right side, disk is on the left) alongside the wheel and then loop it around the handle bar and hold it with my thumb on the towed bike. On the tractor bike or quad I hook it to the left footpeg or left swingarm if there is a good attachment point. The tractor keeps to the right and the towed bike keeps to the left of the trail. 

I have done this several times and you can get through very severe terrain if the rope is kept low. A quad has better traction and does better pulling in uphill sections.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1