It's been said that you can fix anything if you have some duct tape and WD-40. That said, let's do what rider's seem to do best and complicate the hell out of something simple! What duct tape is the best? Which should you spend your money on???

Here's a great video Project Farm that we wanted to share. Do you agree with his findings? If not, what's been your experience?

duct_tape.png

• Like 1

Gorilla tape is going to be hard to beat that stuff is tough 💪

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Gorilla tape is going to be hard to beat that stuff is tough 💪

I second that it's hard to beat gorilla tape :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

26 minutes ago, jcriswell said:

I second that it's hard to beat gorilla tape :thumbsup:

Don't think I want to beat a gorilla with tape. (BOO, HISS)

• Haha 4

This is a false choice because different strength of duct tape is wanted for different purposes. I prefer Nashua for lighter to medium duty with a low profile where i want to get a little stretch on it, and Gorilla for heavy duty, and hand the Frost King to anyone who asks me for duct tape so that the damage they can inflict is limited. As a maintenance pro, I've thought about and abused all kinds of tape way out of proportion to its necessity. My favorite is galvanized Strapping tape, affixed with sharp point or drill point lath screws in the appropriate length for the substrate. Im also a fan of the new line of stainless zip ties, those are awesome and strangely can be trimmed with tinsnips. You wouldn't think you could cut stainless with cast snips, but you can.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, HevyRotashunz said:

This is a false choice because different strength of duct tape is wanted for different purposes. I prefer Nashua for lighter to medium duty with a low profile where i want to get a little stretch on it, and Gorilla for heavy duty, and hand the Frost King to anyone who asks me for duct tape so that the damage they can inflict is limited. As a maintenance pro, I've thought about and abused all kinds of tape way out of proportion to its necessity. My favorite is galvanized Strapping tape, affixed with sharp point or drill point lath screws in the appropriate length for the substrate. Im also a fan of the new line of stainless zip ties, those are awesome and strangely can be trimmed with tinsnips. You wouldn't think you could cut stainless with cast snips, but you can.

Stainless zip ties? Haven't seen those but sound nice. Are they in color or normal stainless?

1 minute ago, HevyRotashunz said:
20 minutes ago, Motox367 said:
Stainless zip ties? Haven't seen those but sound nice. Are they in color or normal stainless?

Ive only seen/bought regular shiny ones. They're pretty rad.

Ya sounds it 👍👍

Posted (edited)

I used some of the cheapest duct tape I had to make the air cover on this ktm.  I felt it's all it deserved.

2019_Mint-400_bike_race_saturday-vk_06.j

It worked perfectly for a couple hundred miles. 

Edited by crypto666
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

I liked his zip tie review as well, Wish he had included the prices per roll on this one.

• Like 1

Duct tape is not meant to be 'strong' it is meant to be sticky and cover, well ducts (gaps). I'd of liked to seen strapping tape compared in this review. A wrap of kevlar strapping tape covered with a layer of duct tape.

• Like 1

Or zip tape that we use on zip systems roofing and wall sheathing.  That stuff is amazing.  I used it for a old xr600 seat cover was still on there after couple years probably still is lol 

Screenshot_20190315-090417_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, William1 said:

Duct tape is not meant to be 'strong' it is meant to be sticky and cover, well ducts (gaps). I'd of liked to seen strapping tape compared in this review. A wrap of kevlar strapping tape covered with a layer of duct tape.

The review is b/c duct tape is widely owned, used and called upon for all sorts of stuff it is and isn't meant to be used for. That's why he talks about MacGuyver being part of the inspiration for the test. I keep a couple of feet in my riding bag for those unknowns. One time I had buddy who's clutch perch bolt pull out (single bolt clamp) and we used zip ties and duct tape to get him home. We didn't need the stickiness as much as we needed strength and it worked. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

The review is b/c duct tape is widely owned, used and called upon for all sorts of stuff it is and isn't meant to be used for. That's why he talks about MacGuyver being part of the inspiration for the test. I keep a couple of feet in my riding bag for those unknowns. One time I had buddy who's clutch perch bolt pull out (single bolt clamp) and we used zip ties and duct tape to get him home. We didn't need the stickiness as much as we needed strength and it worked. 

I fully understand.

My first real exposure to it was to repair fiberglass race car bodies. 200 MPH tape. Though we used a lot and there was not much stress, mostly wind that could peel it off. I have used it to 'repair' seat covers so the foam does not get trashed. Hold together split grips. 'Fix' broken boots. TopSiders. I currently have a few pieces covering holes in the roof of my fabric Quonset hut where my Kubota lives. I have probably a dozen rolls, in all different colors as to make 'MacGyver' jobs look less obvious......

The strength of this tape lay in the  quality of being able to 'cut' it without tools, a easy tear. So to make use of its strength, your 'pull' has to be square to the direction the threads are. If he stress is crooked, the tape tears easily. You'll notice in the testing, it always started in the same spot. I bet if the tape was applied with it in the direction of load being square to the threads, the results would of been even higher.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, William1 said:

And that is why I hate it and rarely use it.  Leave that shit out in the sun and you have a gluey mess on whatever it is you used it on.  Totally cracks me up when people use it on seats in their vehicles and end up with it all over their pants.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Expensive but self vulcanizing tape is amazing anywhere you need to “wrap” tape

I used it to waterproof a couple times and it even did that no problem

IMG_7890.JPG

• Like 4

13 hours ago, HevyRotashunz said:
13 hours ago, Motox367 said:

Ive only seen/bought regular shiny ones. They're pretty rad.

Market opportunity for the blingy bench racer there! Orange would outsell all others 4:1. :D

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, William1 said:

Duct tape is awesome for stabilizing broken ribs (taped over the shirt)

Or removing chest hair

• Like 3
  • Haha 9