Timmy_805

Did I blow my bike up?

I have a 2018 450SXF. It has 15 hours with the oil changed every 5 hours. I was riding earlier with my sons showing them how to do a turn track. I was riding around pretty slow in first gear for about 15-20 minutes. The bike felt warmer than it normally does. I stopped to watch my son ride for a minute and when I started the bike it started normally. I went to take off but I was in some soft stuff and I stalled it. Immediately it had steam coming off the engine and it seemed like water everywhere. It smelled like coolant. I tried starting and it started fine but I shut it off immediately. Did I do something terrible? Sorry for the newbie question but I’ve never had this happen before and I want to make sure I’m covering all my bases. Thanks guys.

It should be fine.  Just overheated it.  Worse case you may have warped the head but that is somewhat unlikely and a blown head gasket will be obvious.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Refill the coolant and monitor for coolant level dropping or visible leaks during and after the next ride,

keeping in mind you may loose a bit of coolant if you overfill the radiator but the level should stabilize and not drop any further after 2nd outing.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:55 PM, HevyRotashunz said:

No. It's fine, all ktm 4 strokes will overheat and puke a little coolant if you ride them slowly. You'll need a pipe and a vortex ecu to make it run right. And maybe a fan. Or just ride faster.

Not with an SX and yes a fan if you ride off track often.