Jump to content

450L FI Tuners: what works?


Recommended Posts

Nobody has used an actual ECU yet (and told about it in these forums yet) as production issues seem to have affected suppliers. 

The available FI tuners are piggyback on the injector and some have had success. 

Boosterplug is the cheapest/simplest option. It connects to the Intake Air Temp sensor and adjusts fuel by convincing the ECU that the air temp is lower than actual, driving a richer air/fuel ratio. 

On US models, the airbox isn’t a source of restriction yet (unlike exhaust/cams/intake/exhaust ports) so you can do whatever you want to it but it will have no effect.  A gentleman did a dyno day a month or so ago and had zero gains from the airbox. 

EU/Aus models have a restricted intake boot and ECU that require replacement to get to full US power.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many thanks.  Boosterplug was not on my radar:  much more economical than Vortex.  Hoping for JD Jetting feedback too as that is also way less $ than Vortex.  Baffle mod is what exactly?

Did IMS tank, +2 teeth Dirt Tricks rear sprocket, hand guards and real tires.  Getting ready for a week in Colorado as have zero riding areas in northeast OH.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Smoke Eater said:

I installed the PC V and it’s excellent. The improved map included for the stock bike  is quite good. It’s far more rideable now. I also stripped the emissions junk. 

PC meaning Pro Circuit? I know they sell Vortex ECU's and I know that they make a pipe for the X but not sure if their Vortex ECU's are L specific

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question?? Most Fuel injection system seem to have an O2 sensor in the exhaust which is not the case with our bike- This being the case, does the ECU have a predetermined fuel curve according to gear, RPM, Throttle position and air temp. ??  There would seem that if the system is extremely to the lean side, then the margin for error would be very narrow-- That does not seem to be the Honda I used to know- Systems that have the ability to get that O2 sensor reading can adjust accordingly by richening or leaning out the fuel mixture. I like the idea of the booster plug as it fools the ECU to richen the mix across the entire RPM range. Does the booster plug richen the mix enough for an aftermarket exhaust ??? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For Richiesno:  from what read, ECU has a map based on RPM, gear 5 & 6 (speed limiter) and sensor inputs including throttle position.  Rich450L may be able to comment on Booster Plug being rich enough for aftermarket exhaust.

Vortex emailed their [pricy] unit cures the low speed throttle chop and compensates fine for altitude, includes multiple maps for stock and also for air box + exhaust mods.  No reply from JD Jetting on their unit.   Took suggestion above, researched then ordered PC V yesterday - Revzilla had available; not in stock at RM ATV, BBandit or Chaparral at that moment.  PC V has a richer map, works with stock exhaust & air box and monitors more sensors.  Was concerned about Booster Plug's ability to adjust for altitude as will go from 1000' to 13500' from Ohio to Rockys this year.  PC V supposed to have option to raise or omit speed limiter.  Limiter was claimed to be used to match bike to speed rating on tires.  I run Tubeliss on rear (+Slime) as includes a rim lock and no pinch flats.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, CRF450L Ohio said:

For Richiesno:  from what read, ECU has a map based on RPM, gear 5 & 6 (speed limiter) and sensor inputs including throttle position.  Rich450L may be able to comment on Booster Plug being rich enough for aftermarket exhaust.

Vortex emailed their [pricy] unit cures the low speed throttle chop and compensates fine for altitude, includes multiple maps for stock and also for air box + exhaust mods.  No reply from JD Jetting on their unit.   Took suggestion above, researched then ordered PC V yesterday - Revzilla had available; not in stock at RM ATV, BBandit or Chaparral at that moment.  PC V has a richer map, works with stock exhaust & air box and monitors more sensors.  Was concerned about Booster Plug's ability to adjust for altitude as will go from 1000' to 13500' from Ohio to Rockys this year.  PC V supposed to have option to raise or omit speed limiter.  Limiter was claimed to be used to match bike to speed rating on tires.  I run Tubeliss on rear (+Slime) as includes a rim lock and no pinch flats.  

There is 1 wire on the Gear Position Sensor that goes into the ECU to tell it "What gear are you in".  I wager that if you were to cut that wire, it'd free up your Gear 5 & 6 top speed.  It's not an issue for me, but I've suggested it on other threads, with pictures of the wiring diagrams from the factory service manual.  If anyone has tried it, they haven't said anything yet.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Richiesno said:

Question?? Most Fuel injection system seem to have an O2 sensor in the exhaust which is not the case with our bike- This being the case, does the ECU have a predetermined fuel curve according to gear, RPM, Throttle position and air temp. ??  There would seem that if the system is extremely to the lean side, then the margin for error would be very narrow-- That does not seem to be the Honda I used to know- Systems that have the ability to get that O2 sensor reading can adjust accordingly by richening or leaning out the fuel mixture. I like the idea of the booster plug as it fools the ECU to richen the mix across the entire RPM range. Does the booster plug richen the mix enough for an aftermarket exhaust ??? 

Most motorcycle fuel injection doesn't have an 02 sensor, because you can control the emissions close enough for government testing without it.  The O2 sensor can only control a limited range of fuel ratio...  There is quite a bit of good info on the BoosterPlug website explaining modern fuel injection on bikes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/17/2019 at 6:33 PM, Smoke Eater said:

I installed the PC V and it’s excellent. The improved map included for the stock bike  is quite good. It’s far more rideable now. I also stripped the emissions junk. 

Smoke Eater, thanks for the info, can you describe your throttle characteristics at low speed? Are you still sporting the stock exhaust system?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originator of thread:  yes as delivered was horrible on tight single track while fine for a drag race; throttle chop inducing a back tire skid on a wet off camber tight down hill road turn and multiple flame outs on muddy hills took joy out of first ride for me.  CRF450L has great potential and fully expect not to have to do $3k of top end motor work at 2300 miles as my KTM 530 required.  JD Jetting looked viable but I could not get much info (1 week and no response from JD).  My Dynojet Power Commander V arrives Monday.  How 'bout we both install, ride and repost?  I expect the JD Jetting box for 450L is a fine cure as my previous kits for DRZ and others proved outstanding improvements! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got the JD Jetting tuner installed, nice increase in power, most noticeable when cracking the throttle. Roll on wheelies in 2nd gear require alot less throttle input. I have stock pipe and airbox, emissions removed.  At $200 I think its a good value. However it did nothing for the jerky throttle between idle and the smallest amount of input possible. Crusing thru town at 25-30mph the on/off jerk is un-acceptable. My wr250r and 500exc never had any issues like this. I tried every idle setting/throttle cable tension setting possible.

I will bump up the fueling between idle and 1/8 throttle and try again, others on adv rider suggested the jerk will get better after 250 miles

Update: stock setting on the jd tuner for idle to 1/8 throttle is "3.5". I changed that setting to "6" and the jerk is completely gone! Some much fun to ride now!! I can definitely give this tuner the ?

Edited by WRfinatic
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

×
×
  • Create New...