450L FI Tuners: what works?

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:45 PM, CRF450L Ohio said:

Many thanks.  Boosterplug was not on my radar:  much more economical than Vortex.  Hoping for JD Jetting feedback too as that is also way less $ than Vortex.  Baffle mod is what exactly?

Did IMS tank, +2 teeth Dirt Tricks rear sprocket, hand guards and real tires.  Getting ready for a week in Colorado as have zero riding areas in northeast OH.

does the +2 teeth give you more top end? sorry new to all this.

+2 teeth on rear sprocket gears it down, on my bike it is ~4% or just noticeable change:  gets to speed quicker, more torque, slightly higher rpm at 70 mph. Subtract teeth on rear = lower rpm at 70 mph.  -1 tooth on counter shaft front sprocket is like adding several teeth to rear sprocket, higher rpm at 70 mph. +1 tooth on c/s is like taking away several teeth on rear sprocket.  The lower rpm at 70 has engine working less rpm, less buzzing which I like.  More important to me is to be able to ride slow in woods around trees and navigate through the rocks.  Change a tooth on front or a couple on the back, I can often can use same chain.  Do not want to pair a new sprocket with worn chain - faster wear. 

Aluminum rear sprocket reduces unsprung weight, a good thing but AL wears more rapidly.  Dirt Tricks with finite element analysis and CNC use minimal steel or Supersprox steel over AL give long life and usually save weight over traditional heavy, long wearing steel sprockets.  Yeah, I'm an older engineer on dirt bike #18.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Resqman said:

For the guys running the JD, would you mind posting your settings. I’m picking mine up this weekend and hoping maybe someone here could give a little advice on where to start.

What mods have you done?

Sickboy357's post is good, comes with the JD kit.  3/4 is 3.5 seen by #3 and #4 LEDs lit.  SR Moto suggested a bit richer for their stock test bike:  Grn 4, Yel 4.5, Red 4.5, G/B 6, Y/B 4.5, R/B 4.5.  I will be pushing Green up to 6 as suggested by others to hopefully further improve low rpm control, reduce throttle chop.

I tucked the JD cable in under the arched cross member ahead of battery and used the provided cable ties on inside of top left frame rail.

• 2 weeks later...

Mines & Meadows ride on Saturday, muddy mess, ungroomed, 3' deep bogs, severely rutted out:  with JD Jetting still do not have adequate low speed control, grabby clutch is no help to go slow without excess wheel spin.  DRZ400 just plodded along.  Clutch does not want to slip, engagement area is narrow.  45 years experience riding dirt:  worst of 12 bikes out of the box, most were Hondas.  Idle program at 6 did not help much.  Street riding is better, acceptable with traction present.  (Dunlops D606 rear, Trakmaster front).  

Edited by CRF450L Ohio
  • Like 1

I am right there with you brother, I thought the jd tuner fixed the low speed chop, I was excited to have it better then it was. It was all good until I pulled the 500exc out of storage and took it for a pinch, butter smooth throttle control, but man the 500exc has some serious vibes, 450l is a much better bike and almost no vibes.

The 450l is the first bike I ever bought brand new, low speed throttle control is un-acceptable for any serious single track riding, it just wears me out. Throttle wrist gets sore every time I ride after about 30 minutes. Trying to keep the throttle smooth takes away from my concentration of picking lines. The more worn out I get the worse the twitch is.

I think its all coming from the stock ecu cutting fuel every time the rider chops the throttle, and the jd tuner cant compensate fast enough.

My last hope is the vortex ecu if they ever ship

I was dead set on a 19 wr450f and just slap a fake plate on it to get from trail to trail, would have saved about $2000 over the crf450l. At the last minute I went with the 450l due to the plate and key. I was bummed to pay for all the emissions and then pay to remove it and it still aint "correct"

I love the 450l but it will be my last factory street legal bike

It does seem better at 600 miles then when new, but un-sure if its the bike breaking in or me just compensating for the jerk. I noticed I use the clutch constantly in the woods to help smooth it out, but a rider shouldn't have to do that

Edited by WRfinatic

1 hour ago, WRfinatic said:

I am right there with you brother, I thought the jd tuner fixed the low speed chop, I was excited to have it better then it was. It was all good until I pulled the 500exc out of storage and took it for a pinch, butter smooth throttle control, but man the 500exc has some serious vibes, 450l is a much better bike and almost no vibes.

The 450l is the first bike I ever bought brand new, low speed throttle control is un-acceptable for any serious single track riding, it just wears me out. Throttle wrist gets sore every time I ride after about 30 minutes. Trying to keep the throttle smooth takes away from my concentration of picking lines. The more worn out I get the worse the twitch is.

I think its all coming from the stock ecu cutting fuel every time the rider chops the throttle, and the jd tuner cant compensate fast enough.

My last hope is the vortex ecu if they ever ship

I was dead set on a 19 wr450f and just slap a fake plate on it to get from trail to trail, would have saved about $2000 over the crf450l. At the last minute I went with the 450l due to the plate and key. I was bummed to pay for all the emissions and then pay to remove it and it still aint "correct"

I love the 450l but it will be my last factory street legal bike

It does seem better at 600 miles then when new, but un-sure if its the bike breaking in or me just compensating for the jerk. I noticed I use the clutch constantly in the woods to help smooth it out, but a rider shouldn't have to do that

It's definitely the bike breaking in over time. I agree that it's unacceptable but we all understand why it is that way. Fortunately the Vortex and some quality exhaust transform the bike. Now if we can only get those stupid yellow boxes in before it's 105F outside lol.

• Like 1

I just installed my JD jetting tuner today along with the full Yoshimura 450X exhaust. I started out by matching my settings with the ones recommended on the chart for airbox and exhaust mods.  I don’t have and modifications done to the air box but it still runs so much better with the new setup.

• Like 2

Yeah, tiring & not fun.  I am going to try the https://soloracer.com/crf450lg2tamer.html throttle tamer with slower roll-on of throttle next.  Great bike but lousy execution for the low RPM fuel map.

Snatchy throttle, throttle chop or coarse tip-in:  by any name Honda blew it and I bought it.  Transition from lowest throttle on to throttle off caused back tire to skid on an off-camber tight decreasing radius road curve with a few wet leaves while front stayed stuck to the line in 2nd gear:  unsafe.  Hate to pay $700 for Vortex but most of my woods, mud and street riding requires a high mix of 0 - 1/3 throttle, including 1/32 throttle that does not exist.  Goes very well in a drag race but this bike has zero tight single track abilities and no trials-like control ability.  Right now I'd take back my KTM 530EXC even requiring a new top end every 2100 miles with oil changes at 250 miles - great bike, not cheap to maintain.

Anyone try aftermarket clutch parts to help clutch to execute a range of controlled slippage to go slow while the engine wants to rev too high for tip-in?  Stock clutch is very on/off which does not help low speed control on wet rocks, in mud or around close trees.

I installed the same throttle tamer about 300 miles ago, It helps some but to be honest its does not help $70 worth to me

$700 is hard to stomach on the vortex but for me its the only option left, my 500exc is up for sale but I may just keep it until I see what the vortex can do

Edited by WRfinatic

Are you guys experiencing deceleration popping with you JD jetting tunes and full aftermarket exhaust?  It mostly has a nice gurgle while decelerating but will sometimes have a mild pop.  My settings match the air box / exhaust mod recommendation from JD at 5, 6.5, 5, 4, 5, and 3.  I'm not exactly sure if this is an issue with the bike still running a bit lean or if that's just how the bike sounds with significantly different exhaust.

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 3:24 PM, Bul8k said:

I'll try those settings and see how it runs.  I'm sure it will be better.

Last couple pages of 450L old guys site on adv has some settings I've used,also when and what clicks do in diffrent ranges, I also have BP with dbk box,

So you could add a bit more fuel or click a 1/2  or 1 up on green 1,and orange 2

If I'm not mistaken.