450L FI Tuners: what works?

On 10/10/2019 at 3:21 AM, dp19 said:

The Vortex ECU is the only way to properly fix this issue.  The stock ECU shuts off fuel and spark completely on deceleration and turns it back on when you reach idle speed or when you re-apply the throttle.

That's interesting, I have the Vortex but haven't switched to an aftermarket exhaust yet. I've noticed with the Vortex set to the stock fuel map, that my fuel economy has dropped ~12% compared with the OEM ECU.

That would at least partially explain the difference I'm seeing. 

34 minutes ago, Mike S said:

That's interesting, I have the Vortex but haven't switched to an aftermarket exhaust yet. I've noticed with the Vortex set to the stock fuel map, that my fuel economy has dropped ~12% compared with the OEM ECU.

That would at least partially explain the difference I'm seeing. 

Sounds about right, I've seen a 14-16% drop in fuel economy with mine but it's well worth it. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2019 at 1:02 AM, WRfinatic said:

I am right there with you brother, I thought the jd tuner fixed the low speed chop, I was excited to have it better then it was. It was all good until I pulled the 500exc out of storage and took it for a pinch, butter smooth throttle control, but man the 500exc has some serious vibes, 450l is a much better bike and almost no vibes.

The 450l is the first bike I ever bought brand new, low speed throttle control is un-acceptable for any serious single track riding, it just wears me out. Throttle wrist gets sore every time I ride after about 30 minutes. Trying to keep the throttle smooth takes away from my concentration of picking lines. The more worn out I get the worse the twitch is.

I think its all coming from the stock ecu cutting fuel every time the rider chops the throttle, and the jd tuner cant compensate fast enough.

My last hope is the vortex ecu if they ever ship

I was dead set on a 19 wr450f and just slap a fake plate on it to get from trail to trail, would have saved about $2000 over the crf450l. At the last minute I went with the 450l due to the plate and key. I was bummed to pay for all the emissions and then pay to remove it and it still aint "correct"

I love the 450l but it will be my last factory street legal bike

It does seem better at 600 miles then when new, but un-sure if its the bike breaking in or me just compensating for the jerk. I noticed I use the clutch constantly in the woods to help smooth it out, but a rider shouldn't have to do that

Confused: So the Jd Jetting didn't resolve choppy/jerky throttle? as you mentioned in a previous post. :( I,m thinking more road use NOT OffRoad..

Update: stock setting on the jd tuner for idle to 1/8 throttle is "3.5". I changed that setting to "6" and the jerk is completely gone! Some much fun to ride now!! I can definitely give this tuner the ?

Edited by wysiwug

I sold the 450l 6 months ago. The jd tuner was better then stock, vortex was 10X better. I was never really "happy" with the bike. No matter what I changed it just wore me out, and was too much work to ride. Its a solid bike and was extremely reliable, just not the correct bike for me.

skip the jd and spend the $$ on the vortex

Edited by WRfinatic

On 11/25/2019 at 6:23 AM, WRfinatic said:

I sold the 450l 6 months ago. The jd tuner was better then stock, vortex was 10X better. I was never really "happy" with the bike. No matter what I changed it just wore me out, and was too much work to ride. Its a solid bike and was extremely reliable, just not the correct bike for me.

skip the jd and spend the $$ on the vortex

How many miles were on the bike when you got rid of it? And what do you currently ride? I have a 2015 wr250r and I'm considering the crf450l as my next bike.

I rode a wr250r for 7000 dirt miles and sold it to buy the 450l. I had about 1800 miles on the 450l when I sold it. Bought a 2015 husky Fe250 for 4k and couldnt be happier. 

For the price of the 450l I could have kept my wr250r, and still bought the fe250 and had the best of both worlds, and saved 3 grand

super reliable low maintenance wr250r for cruising, and the fe250 as a high stung woods weapon.

Some videos of all 3 bikes here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW-f7_xURrZ8fMQN7ehOKdw

Edited by WRfinatic

2 hours ago, WRfinatic said:

I rode a wr250r for 7000 dirt miles and sold it to buy the 450l. I had about 1800 miles on the 450l when I sold it. Bought a 2015 husky Fe250 for 4k and couldnt be happier. 

For the price of the 450l I could have kept my wr250r, and still bought the fe250 and had the best of both worlds, and saved 3 grand

super reliable low maintenance wr250r for cruising, and the fe250 as a high stung woods weapon.

Some videos of all 3 bikes here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW-f7_xURrZ8fMQN7ehOKdw

Ah yeah I just got done watching some of your vids, nice riding. I would have thought the crf450l would have been the best replacement for the wr250r as your do everything bike. 

• 9 months later...

Update: Traded up from the JD Jetting Power Surge 6x piggy back to stock ECU to: the expensive Vortex ECU replacement. Minor mods to airbox and spark arrestor has me on Map 1 and stock 5, 5, 5 settings. Results: JDJ helped take away about half of the abrupt (stock map's abrupt fuel cutoff was unsafe on wet off-camber road; extremely hard to finesse in low speed technical woods, rocks, fatiguing; and annoying in holding a slow cruise in the city)  with the transition between throttle on and off. On a car it is called throttle tip-in. Results so far: Vortex better than JDJ for usable low throttle inputs! JDJ seemed to give a bit more midrange power and was easy to start. Vortex still an easy start but a bit more cranking to catch. Anybody want a JDJ at half price?   Vortex kit went in easily. 

4 day ride in Michigan's extensive, mostly sandy trails packed up fork seals to weep, bled air from forks at least daily. Replaced with SKF aftermarket parts at 1500 miles. Sturdy aluminum Tail Tidy eBay item eliminated stock plate brackets, saved weight, tucked plate up high & reused stock LED plate light. IMS customer support was great: replaced 3 gallon tank no hassle when molded-in nut spun locking side panel to tank. Kickstand switch now removed.

Had my 450L almost 2 years now.  For me best mods have been JDJetting, Recluse Radius CX clutch, IMS 3 gallon, and seat concepts for when I have to ride a bunch of pavement.  Ride a lot of old mining roads, cow trails, washes, and OHV in AZ.  It’s all the street legal bike I need and definitely smarter than the rider.  I’d buy another although I still look at and respect other bikes as being darn good too.  Having Honda dealers thick as fleas makes it so easy to get stuff when you need it.  

Good to hear, having a place to ride within an hour of travel would be great. Radius CX seems a great product. Ran Radius X in my 530EXC, did great for Colorado 500 plus 1000 miles rough trails then got noisy. Swapped back to original plates rode a bit then sold it to buy 450L. 530 was a very high maintenance $! machine, also a beast that was tough on rear tires. Our 450Ls are claimed to be biased toward more riding time before teardown 🙂 .