Sign in to follow this  

Ocotilio Wells

A while back some of you might remember someone off this group broke his neck out at Ocotilio Well. I have his shock here and didn't take it apart till this morning.........

it was done at a big name place that most of all of you have bought or have parts from.

Hard anodized inside out, gold valve.....the works!

Bottom line there were no threads in the nut! No, it wasn't the pressure of a crash that ripped the threeds out......it never had threads! it caught the side of the nut a little and you can see where the rod cought the valve. What a bummer to think that this crash was caused my a bad nut!

:cry::lol::cry::lol: Alright, this is PURE negligence! :lol: :lol: :lol::cry: :cry: :cry:

I know he wqas selling or sold the bike and maybe he doesn't whach his PM's anymore?

He posted a response to my recent Octotillo - Halloween thread, saying he DID sell his bikes but will be there on a new quad, so he's still hanging out on TT... maybe he's just busy recently? When did you pm him?

Yeah, Ol' Ti-Diddy is still here. He just posted on the SouthWest forum. I would definitely PM him and I will talk to him tonight to let him know to contact you!

T-Did & I have had numerous conversations about how his shock could have come apart like that and this answer makes a heck of a lot more sense. :cry:

Man, the thought of Alan going through this major life-changing event because of negligence makes me sick. At least before he could chalk it up to taking a digger (like all of us have) and the luck of the draw. Now he has to live with the fact that somebody's f**k up caused all this. That's a tough pill to swallow.

Most of the breaks are just below the nut.....on his the nut came off and the rod came out of the shock and some time during the crash the end of the rod that the nut goes on broke off.....so, when you are looking at the shock in one hand and the rod in the other you would think it broke like it usualy does but, once I got the bumper cap out and the valve there is just a nut (no threaded part of the rod in the nut; like the other shockes that broke) and the nut has just the faint showing of where the machine tried to make threads. I sould have been caught if the guy putting on the nut torqued the nut insted of going by 'feel'. They could argue that the rod pulled all the threads out??? But, the nut is stronger then the post. Or at least it always has been in the past. I took apart a shock from a guy that flipped his BRP on the beach at (he said) 100mph and when I pulled it all part there was the nut, with the end of the post in it. Maybe T-daddy has the top of the rod? I'll take a picture of the inside of the nut and post it here. Untitled3.jpgUntitled1.jpg