thumpinhard25

'17 350 SXF FI light flashing constantly but no code.

Edited:  video posted below. 

Hi guys new here and I sure could use some help. I have a 2017 350 SX with 92 hours. Bike starts right up and runs fine.  

( short version).  Bike was stopped in woods idling for short time and FI light started flashing with no pattern. 2x sec consistent and equal flash speed/pauses, and continuously , 20 or more flashes.  Took it to dealer and No flash, and no codes shown. Got it home and it started flashing again 60+ times, same speed.  It will go away while bike is idling then will come back all with bike idling. Usually 20-60 flashes. 

(detailed version)

Last weekend I was practicing at a cross country race and while I was stopped in the woods, the FI light starts flashing. The problem is its not flashing any pattern. It is a 2x a second flash, consistent flash speed and constantly. The first time I saw it I counted about 25 flashes and I tuned  the bike off and it went away. I started it up, took it back to the truck with no flashing. In the pits I started it again and it started flashing the same way so I parked it. I took it to the dealer, they hooked up and the light never came on, and no codes were shown. I got it home and started it up today, and after about 1 min of idling it started flashing again. I counted about 30 flashes at 2x a second. I killed it and let it cool, then started it up to try to film it. After about 1 min it started again, this time 63 flashes  at about 2x a second, then the flashing stopped while the bike was still ideling. I killed it again let it cool, started it up and again flashing however only about 20 flashes before it stopped for about 30 seconds, then started flashing again.   The bike doesn't have a battery tender, wasn't hooked up to any external power.  So anyone have ANY idea what it could be? Also, it is not near as fast of a flash as launch control and I am able to change maps while its flashing.  I appreciate any advice.  Thanks... The new guy from Texas.

Edited by thumpinhard25

2 minutes ago, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

This may help.

Hi, thanks I actually saw that one. That was the only thing I could find, and my next step to check. Wish that post would of been updated.  However my bike ran fine, I rode about 20+ miles hard for practice, and it had zero problems. The map buttons worked as well, and I can change between maps. ( I got the idea to check that from him.) but Ill be replacing the relay I guess. 

I have heard of that relay being a problem, but didn't think it was monitored by the e.c.u. with a code attached to it.

Not sure, but it would seem as though the e.c.u. would be defective since it's not flashing a code, just steadily flashing; very odd.

Sounds like a bad contact or earth ? The relay (fuel pump ) normally flattens the battery

So I’m going to keep this updated when I find the solution. (hopefully it helps the next guy)  I’m running out of time before the races so I’m prepping my 300 right now, however I picked up a fuel relay to do a quick test tonight and see if that fixes it the flash.   Here’s a link of the flashing though. 

My 18 450 SXF did that with the tip over sensor unplugged. Also try unplugging ECU for a few minutes before reconnecting. See if it reappears. Let us know what you find.

37 minutes ago, willbilly said:

My 18 450 SXF did that with the tip over sensor unplugged. Also try unplugging ECU for a few minutes before reconnecting. See if it reappears. Let us know what you find.

Man, I’ve never even heard of a tip over sensor.  Ok new to KTMs and quickly learning.  I’ll have to do some searching and find where it’s located.  I’ll also try the ECU. I’ll definitly keep this updated with what I find.  

Edited by thumpinhard25

32 minutes ago, thumpinhard25 said:

Man, I’ve never even heard of a tip over sensor.  Ok new to KTMs and quickly learning.  I’ll have to do some searching and find where it’s located.  I’ll also try the ECU. I’ll definitly keep this updated with what I find.  

Sits under the seat near the ECU... 

All FI bikes are required to have one. Shuts off ignition after bike is on it’s side after about 10 seconds. It sits in front of ECU and has “UP” embossed on top. It’s about 1 inch by 2.

2 hours ago, willbilly said:

All FI bikes are required to have one. Shuts off ignition after bike is on it’s side after about 10 seconds. It sits in front of ECU and has “UP” embossed on top. It’s about 1 inch by 2.

Ah, ok, I seen that today while removing engine for a top end job.

I get up and remount quickly, so I reckon it didn't have to report to the E.C.U. and shut it down.

3 hours ago, willbilly said:

I didn’t know that.  Thanks for the heads up and discription. 

UPDATE - SOLVED!

I didn’t Want to post this Friday and Jenix myself, but it appears I have solved the issue.  From what I read above I replaced the Fuel pump Relay ( their pretty cheap). The flashing went away. I practiced on it Saturday and bike felt great, so I took a chance and raced it today.  After 2 hrs of abuse not only did it fix it but I won on it. Bike had enough time to cool down to start the afternoon race and I ran one and half hours on it. Still no flashing. 2 hard races  under its belt and I’m calling the problem solved. Although it was not flashing a “ fuel pump relay code” the flashing has gone away.   If it comes back later, I’ll re update this post. 

Edited by thumpinhard25
  • Like 4

On 3/24/2019 at 9:48 PM, thumpinhard25 said:

UPDATE - SOLVED!

I didn’t Want to post this Friday and Jenix myself, but it appears I have solved the issue.  From what I read above I replaced the Fuel pump Relay ( their pretty cheap). The flashing went away. I practiced on it Saturday and bike felt great, so I took a chance and raced it today.  After 2 hrs of abuse not only did it fix it but I won on it. Bike had enough time to cool down to start the afternoon race and I ran one and half hours on it. Still no flashing. 2 hard races  under its belt and I’m calling the problem solved. Although it was not flashing a “ fuel pump relay code” the flashing has gone away.   If it comes back later, I’ll re update this post. 

Where is the fuel pump relay?

On 1/12/2020 at 12:47 PM, jethro450 said:

Where is the fuel pump relay?

Under the seat, usually pretty close to the main relay (one with the fuses in it).

22 hours ago, zibbit u2 said:

Under the seat, usually pretty close to the main relay (one with the fuses in it).

Thanks.  I saw the main relay.  Guess I’ll have to dig deeper the fuel pump relay.  

9 minutes ago, jethro450 said:

Thanks.  I saw the main relay.  Guess I’ll have to dig deeper the fuel pump relay.  

Is it this one?  See attached pic.  Because I did see that one. There’s the starter relay, the one with fuses.  Then there’s this one under it.  

D5102501-56A9-4068-8887-469AD56F835F.jpeg