dirtyharry30

701 Countershaft seal leaking from new.

1 hour ago, Dan Babcock said:

I'm on my 3rd trip back to the dealership and 2nd counter shaft seal replacement. KTM still doesn't know what's wrong with it. I told them if they can't fix it go ahead and keep it.

I can understand that.  If I were in the same position I'd be asking for a new bike rather than a refund though.  

In the past two days I've done a few rides on mine after having the C/S seal replaced and it is still leaking as much as before. Curious.  I know other people with 690s/701s that have not had any such leak, and I find it hard to imagine that both the original and replacement seal on mine could be bad, so I'll be curious to see what the dealer tries next.  If it's not the seal, it must be something more fundamental, like the surface of the countershaft itself is scored or slightly out of round where the seal sits, or the countershaft itself is not concentric in the bore of the seat for the seal, either of which would be substantially more involved to fix than replacing the seal...

48 minutes ago, RDA71 said:

In the past two days I've done a few rides on mine after having the C/S seal replaced and it is still leaking as much as before. Curious.  I know other people with 690s/701s that have not had any such leak, and I find it hard to imagine that both the original and replacement seal on mine could be bad, so I'll be curious to see what the dealer tries next.  If it's not the seal, it must be something more fundamental, like the surface of the countershaft itself is scored or slightly out of round where the seal sits, or the countershaft itself is not concentric in the bore of the seat for the seal, either of which would be substantially more involved to fix than replacing the seal...

I'm pointing to a crankcase ventilation problem since my bike leaked from the right side clutch cover and also pushing oil out past the oil filler cap and now on my 2nd counter shaft seal. The dealer told me when they replaced the countershaft seal the old seal looked perfect but they replaced it anyway. The bike is at the dealership now for the third time and they still have no clue.

35 minutes ago, Dan Babcock said:

I'm pointing to a crankcase ventilation problem since my bike leaked from the right side clutch cover and also pushing oil out past the oil filler cap...

Interesting. That does sound like possibly excess crankcase pressure.  Mine is only leaking from the C/S seal.  The vent hose on these bikes is quite large, but relatively soft/pliable.  Did you check to make sure yours was not kinked or pinched?

3 minutes ago, RDA71 said:

Interesting. That does sound like possibly excess crankcase pressure.  Mine is only leaking from the C/S seal.  The vent hose on these bikes is quite large, but relatively soft/pliable.  Did you check to make sure yours was not kinked or pinched?

You should check the machined oil passage channel on the clutch cover right in front of the oil fill cap right behind the water pump cover. There is a set screw inside of that channel and that is where my bike first started leaking. I looked over the microfiche for our motorcycles and seen a one-way connection valve connected to the vent hose wondering maybe if that's not working properly. I find it very strange that several people are having the same issues and the same exact leaks we are having including the Husky 701. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution.

Gotta wonder if someone else makes a "better fitting/more robust" CS seal for these bikes. 

Also, for mated surface leaks, we used to use "Kawasaki Bond" as it really did stop leaks. Dunno if it's still available though.