Sahr Kastic

Alta Lovers Rejoice!

Surprise,  just about the time your Alta's battery goes dead Honda may have a new electric bike for you. 

electric_honda.JPG

• Like 8
  • Helpful 1

I'm not against the idea of eBikes, but I still feel like riding w/o hearing an exhaust, something is missing. Sure, a Tesla P100D is fast as hell, but I still get more excited about the sound that a Dodge Demon makes while it's losing a 1/4 mile race. I still roll the window down on the freeway when I hear a Ducati L Twin making its way up through traffic. I'd rather ride an eBike that not at all, but given the choice, I'll pick the gasser. But, if I had enough land to ride on that was still in earshot of neighbors, I'd love to add an eBike to exapand my riding opportunities. 

• Like 13

I love a good 2 stroke exhaust note as much as the next guy but personally I think eBikes are the future of the sport. Less noise and less emissions = more places to ride. Once they figure out battery life (and they will) this is going to be HUGE. I can't wait!

• Like 4

Looks pretty cool, my biggest thing is not hearing someone and getting into a crash with someone or something.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 3

37 minutes ago, Johnny919 said:

Looks pretty cool, my biggest thing is not hearing someone and getting into a crash with someone or something.

When two gasser riders are heading toward one another where they can't see one another, by the time you hear their bike, BAM! you've collided. I've seen it happen.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, 2strokenut said:

Keep dreaming @CRFJeff if anything electric bikes will get more riding areas shut down. Anti-access people don't care if it makes noise or not, they don't want motorized recreation.

I don't know about getting more places shut down but agreed it won't add places to ride.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vossman23 said:

I don't know about getting more places shut down but agreed it won't add places to ride.

All it takes is someone on existing trails to get run over by some electric dirt bike that they couldn't hear. Bam, all motorized travel banned.

Mtn bikers can't even get along with Ebikers. 

• Like 6

True.  With the lack of noise there could be a higher possibility for accidents but I think therer would have to be much more involved than just that. You make a good point though. 

I don't think Mtn Bikers get along with anyone. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, vossman23 said:

True.  With the lack of noise there could be a higher possibility for accidents but I think therer would have to be much more involved than just that. You make a good point though. 

An unfortunate truth.

• Like 2

I want the electric bike stand........................  wwrrrrrrrr..........

as far as the bike ..........I wait for the XR600WATT

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2strokenut said:

Keep dreaming @CRFJeff if anything electric bikes will get more riding areas shut down. Anti-access people don't care if it makes noise or not, they don't want motorized recreation.

I doubt they'll get more places shut down, collisions happen already. I think it's true that some NIMBY types will still be anti-access no matter what, but without noise or emissions to complain about they'll have less ground to stand on.

• Helpful 1

Alta's issue for me was the price tag vs. ride time.  At over $10k and only getting 35 minutes at best, I'll spend the money on a gas machine.  And you still can't top the energy density of gas. 

• Like 5
  • Helpful 2

2 hours ago, vossman23 said:

I'm a mtb'er and I love you guys...........

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I got a rich riding bud that will get that just for his pit bike.

2 hours ago, 2strokenut said:

Mtn bikers can't even get along with Ebikers. 

2 hours ago, vossman23 said:

23 minutes ago, G 9.5 said:

I'm a mtb'er and I love you guys...........

Everyone I moto with still rides MTB's too, However we always joke that the "real" mountain bikers are usually so pissed on the trail because mountain biking is way more expensive!

I posted on MTBR about "motorized trails" and ebikes, no one in northern AZ is willing to take a stand yet, the USFS or the main cycling club up here.  I heard today in Phx pedal assist is ok, stand alone throttle is not...

I agree that without the doppler effect in play more collisions with non- motorized users will likely occur with electric dirtbikes. Sad really because the idea of a relatively silent bike is intriguing.

Yeah, ebikes (bicycle) here have the green light for use on mtb trails. Kinda bs since I figure a motor is a motor is a motor. If you get an electric motorcycle and put pedal assist (very general term) on it I figure you can shred front range trails........

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, G 9.5 said:

....bs since I figure a motor is a motor is a motor.

As an avid mountain biker I couldn't agree more. They have opened a dangerous can of worms with this e-bike thing. A trail is either a pedal trail or a dual use trail, period. Most of Idaho has already figured this out and made trail designations 'no e-bike' but the rules dont seem to be followed by the e-bike community. 

Edited by macklikesbikes