DaveStar

First time at tahuya

Could use some trail advice. Me and 3 buddies are headed to tahuya on Friday and we have never been there. I would love some advice on what trails to hit. We love single track...thanks thumpers!

Howell Lake loop trail is pretty nice, and it's fairly remote which reduces the amount of traffic and turnout. We just did a decent loop the other day and besides a couple of reasonable log hops, it was fairly empty and in good condition.

The Overland trail isn't bad either, but pay attention to the trail markers when you get to the southwest corner, as the trails start to mix up and it's easy to get turned around.

We usually stage out of the Elfendahl staging area due to better facilities, as someone has to deal with too much coffee or greasy breakfast.

• Like 1

Only advice, bring GPS. Easy to get lost. Fri should be fine, but weekends get crowded.

• Like 3

I haven’t been there in well over a year, but the best single track stuff is not really marked- you have to find them.  The two-track (quad) trails are marked pretty well, but I don’t care much for those. One reason is head-on danger.

Go to the DNR site, print out the map and that should help.  

• Like 3

The above ^ advice is spot on from all three posters. Tahuya State forest is around 27,000 acres. Plan on at least 5-6 visits to begin to appreciate how much is out there. Print out a paper map ahead of time and also run either a GPS or AllTrails or similar on your phone. Tahuya is more confusing than most areas because the topography is mostly flat and there is no central mountain or major valley to visually reference from. Most guys get lost a few times for sure. A plated bike is a big plus because you can ride the roads back to staging if necessary ( low on fuel, rain, injury, bike problems, etc). Don’t get separated from your riding buddies. You can spend days looking for each other. I suggest that you learn the main 2 track trails first, completing loops and paying attention at every intersection. Make a mental note of the cool ST side trails but don’t assume that they are short, easy, or connect anywhere near your destination. This is all part of the charm of this place. All the little creeks, ponds, and water features are beautiful. Try to ride in early June when all the rhododendrons are in bloom. And yes, midweek is where it is at. The farther you get away from Elfendahl Pass staging the safer the riding. Don’t rip around blind corners. Lots of people get hurt here every year.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

I recommend getting maprika and downloading the tahuya state forest pdf. It's much better than Gaia in the orv state forest areas. I use Gaia, Alltrails, and Maprika depending on where I'm riding. They all have a little something to offer.

• Like 3

The week after I posted this I had a freak accident and tore my ACL... so I won’t be back out the for another month or two :(

I finally rode Tahuya this past weekend. Did most of the Tahuya River trail, but found some unmarked single track as well. I definitely only scratched the surface of what's out there, plus it was hot and dehydration is no joke.

Anyone want to ride Tahuya this coming weekend, 7/27 or 7/28? I'm just trying to figure out my weekend riding options.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Horgh said:

I finally rode Tahuya this past weekend. Did most of the Tahuya River trail, but found some unmarked single track as well. I definitely only scratched the surface of what's out there, plus it was hot and dehydration is no joke.Anyone want to ride Tahuya this coming weekend, 7/27 or 7/28? I'm just trying to figure out my weekend riding options.

Lots of folks happy to ride with you I'm sure. I would, but headed to St Helens. 

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

Love Tahuya !

Joe

Bring a swimsuit, stay a while...

On 3/26/2019 at 4:38 PM, Rider6000 said:

I recommend getting maprika and downloading the tahuya state forest pdf. It's much better than Gaia in the orv state forest areas. I use Gaia, Alltrails, and Maprika depending on where I'm riding. They all have a little something to offer.

I was using my Garmin GPS with the NW Trails loaded, and they were mostly accurate, but not entirely. I have Avenza, but couldn't find a accurate map of Tahuya before I left for the ride. Anyone know if there is one?

I've never used Maprika, but I see they do have a couple Tahuya maps. Is that a better option than Avenza?

29 minutes ago, Horgh said:

I was using my Garmin GPS with the NW Trails loaded, and they were mostly accurate, but not entirely. I have Avenza, but couldn't find a accurate map of Tahuya before I left for the ride. Anyone know if there is one?

I've never used Maprika, but I see they do have a couple Tahuya maps. Is that a better option than Avenza?

I have a GPX map of the entire area, I created it myself.  Have done so for most of the ride areas in this State. 

PM me your email address and I'll send you the file.  

16 hours ago, Horgh said:

I finally rode Tahuya this past weekend. Did most of the Tahuya River trail, but found some unmarked single track as well. I definitely only scratched the surface of what's out there, plus it was hot and dehydration is no joke.

Anyone want to ride Tahuya this coming weekend, 7/27 or 7/28? I'm just trying to figure out my weekend riding options.

I could probably ride Tahuya this weekend (Saturday would probably be best). I'm not sure what kind of riding you're looking to do or how intense you feel like riding but I might come along if you don't mind riding with a fairly novice rider. I've done the northern overland quad tracks and a decent portion of the single track around mission creek if I remember correctly. I still had no idea where I'm going out there though as the place is massive but I'm just up for riding. 

Edited by verman84

Sorry, I forgot to follow up here, didn't ride Tahuya that weekend after all, but did ride this past weekend. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread if anyone wants to ride there again. I'm available either Saturday or Sunday most weekends, intermediate rider who falls off a lot.