250 xc aer forks psi by weight vs compression

Hi , i have a 2018,  250 xc i put 35 hours in it and still can figure out my suspencion settings. I'm at 163 pounds with no gear. I don't do any mx. Just  cross country and trail rides. My biggest question or concern since I'm an amateur rider is  how to figure out if when i fell the forks to soft i need more compression or more psi on the fork?? Or if i need to soft them up less psi or less compression... in the manual says 136 to start 17 clicks 13 and 9 from comfort to sport. Any advise??

Posted (edited)

If the fork dives in the corner, too soft, if it pushes, too stiff.  Deflecting off roots, too stiff, etc. Try to keep the front and rear as balanced as possible.

Start with the comfort settings in the manual, and 125 psi in the fork, adjust from there.  Only a few psi at a time.   I landed at about 130psi, I weigh 165 without gear, and am close to the standard settings for the clickers. 

Edited by 74one
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 74one said:

If the fork dives in the corner, too soft, if it pushes, too stiff.  Deflecting off roots, too stiff, etc. Try to keep the front and rear as balanced as possible.

Start with the comfort settings in the manual, and 125 psi in the fork, adjust from there.  Only a few psi at a time.   I landed at about 130psi, I weigh 165 without gear, and am close to the standard settings for the clickers. 

Thanks man!! I will try that psi. When you mean to standard its around 12, 13 clicks? 

For reference, I'm ~190 and I have mine set at 150psi and 10 clicks on compression. Really you need to get out and mess with settings. Try decreasing and increasing pressure. Set the clickers to the comfort then race settings and see how it feels.

Air pressure and clicker adjustments do two very different things, though they do cross over... 

In simplest terms, air pressure for weight, clicker adjustments for your speed...

• Like 1

IMO - 74one and Hans nailed it.

I'm very close to the same weight (160), have the same bike and ride a large variety of terrain from rooty/rocky notrack stuff to fast open trail.

For what it's worth, I run 135-140 PSI depending on the terrain, and my clickers are Compression: 17 (ish) | Rebound: 15 (ish). I never really touch the clickers anymore and just adjust the fork pressure depending on where we're riding.

Pick an air pressure and stick with it until you get a feel for the clickers. If you keep changing your air pressure and clickers, you're chasing you're tail.

Also, check out the RaceTech Spring Rate Calculator. It's a good starting point.

1 minute ago, NVarra said:

IMO - 74one and Hans nailed it.

I'm very close to the same weight (160), have the same bike and ride a large variety of terrain from rooty/rocky notrack stuff to fast open trail.

For what it's worth, I run 135-140 PSI depending on the terrain, and my clickers are Compression: 17 (ish) | Rebound: 15 (ish). I never really touch the clickers anymore and just adjust the fork pressure depending on where we're riding.

Pick an air pressure and stick with it until you get a feel for the clickers. If you keep changing your air pressure and clickers, you're chasing you're tail.

Also, check out the RaceTech Spring Rate Calculator. It's a good starting point.

Dully noted and i will stick to that!!! Thanks so much!

Posted (edited)

142 pounds without gear. 

PSI at 119.

Edited by shrub73

17 hours ago, 74one said:

^ DO THIS!!!