Boy am I frustrated about bleeding the front brake. My son & I have spent quite some time bleeding the front brake to no avail. It is still quite mushy. At this point I'm thinking of reverse filling the line from the caliper towards the master. Can anyone explain a beginner's guide to properly doing this?

Roger

Posted (edited)

Have you tried removing the master cylinder and lever from the handlebars, hanging it up high, then use your foot to press on the front brake caliper to push them all the way in. Then using small strokes, pump the brake pressure back up and repeat. Do this a few times, with letting it hang in between for an hour or so to allow any bubbles rise.

Be sure beforehand that your res isn't overfilled.

Edited by Trailryder42

And if that doesnt work take the caliper off the bottom and stick an old brake pad or a piece of flat bar where the rotor would be and try to bleed the system with the caliper up at handle bars height.

The Brembo front can be a bleeder to bleed. The calliper seems to trap an air pocket which is why the guys have posted up their solutions. Couple of things we do -  always bleed from master down and once you get a lever of sorts, split the calliper and bracket and push the pistons fully in which helps get rid of the air. We also remove the nylon filter from inside the master and the lever - we use a small drift to push the master piston in as you get a far longer stroke. 

The easiest way to bleed your front brake is to get a large syringe and a hose then fill the system from the bleed screw up to the master.
Works every time - no air.

5 hours ago, The Mass said:

The easiest way to bleed your front brake is to get a large syringe and a hose then fill the system from the bleed screw up to the master.

This.  I don't even waste my time on dirt bike brakes or clutches doing it any other way.  Syringe, hose, couple of zip ties for hose clamps.

We've never tried it from the bottom up as we've never needed to. Last one we did my wife helped and we got a good lever right away. There's obviously different ways to do it to get the same result. 

9 hours ago, The Mass said:

But if I do this approach, do I need to keep the lever pulled in?. Do I also need to empty the system first?. 

No need to pull the lever in, as it flows into the master cylinder through the relief valve as per normal operation when you release the brake lever.

While you don't have to empty the line, but you will need to suck out the old fluid as it fills the master cylinder, but it is best to empty it especially if you are using a different new fluid.

You will see the bubbles coming up in the master as you fill.

Once you have done it this way, you'll never muck around with the front brakes again.

Hope this helps.

The Mass

Does anyone have a link to a syringe and hose that fits? I've been looking everywhere. Ideally the "cheap" medical supply version and not the expensive Moto specific ones.

Gravity bleed is so much easier and less messy than the reverse bleed.  If the system is empty then I'll reverse bleed to fill it, but once filled I'll gravity bleed from that day forward.  As long as you dont let the fluid level drop too low there's no chance of introducing air into the system.   

2 hours ago, Ew83 said:

Does anyone have a link to a syringe and hose that fits? I've been looking everywhere. Ideally the "cheap" medical supply version and not the expensive Moto specific ones.

Amazon, Walmart has oral suspension syringes, any Home Health Care store.

Then just push the right size tubing onto the end.

Posted (edited)

No syringe needed if you pump the master cylinder and crack open the brake line at the master cylinder. To bleed out the air from the master cylinder may need to repeat until all your getting is fluid coming out. I forgot to mention you need to crack it open then close it after a couple seconds before pumping again. 

This also works on the caliper usually once you bleed the air out of the master cylinder you don't have to do the caliper. 

You should get pressure and then just do a regular gravity bleeding. 

Edited by SmokinJoe