Hi. I'm looking for a bike for an almost 15 yr old boy. He is 130lbs and about 5'5. He road a ttr90 until it obviously got way too small for him. I like the ttr becuase it is a 125. Also, he will rarely be riding it on a track and 90% of the time will be on trails. But I like the 85 because it is faster and it is a two stroke. What do you think? Thank You.

Edited by jack_dudan10

Thank you. Have you ever had a kx100. Haven’t heard much about them.

Yes. That link above is my son’s bike. We were debating YZ85 and CRF150RB and then after much, much research selected the Kx100. It was a smart move.

My son is 5’3” and 115 lbs. Your son is too big for the 85 and the TTR. The KX100 is possibly the best large kid / small adult bike of a serious nature. Unless you go for the future and get a YZ125 (and then mod it for woods) or a Beta 200 or KTM 150. If you want tamer then a TTR or CRF 230 but those will be heavy and lack good suspension. One or two years on the KX could be the perfect stepping stone. I am already eye balling the Beta 200 for my son in 2 years.
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

10 hours ago, Tahoe Gator said:

Yes. That link above is my son’s bike. We were debating YZ85 and CRF150RB and then after much, much research selected the Kx100. It was a smart move.

My son is 5’3” and 115 lbs. Your son is too big for the 85 and the TTR. The KX100 is possibly the best large kid / small adult bike of a serious nature. Unless you go for the future and get a YZ125 (and then mod it for woods) or a Beta 200 or KTM 150. If you want tamer then a TTR or CRF 230 but those will be heavy and lack good suspension. One or two years on the KX could be the perfect stepping stone. I am already eye balling the Beta 200 for my son in 2 years.

Thank You!!

I would also look into a ttr230. It might be slightly big but I think a ttr125 he would outgrow quickly.

Make sure you get a big wheel bike, The ttr125 and yz85 come with small or big wheel versions. The big wheel will be better on trails.

Edited by Cody Ludlum
  • Like 1

My son races a kx100. It’s a great bike and already is a big wheel. Power is more controllable since it has a power-valve unlike a yz85. And I’ve only seen 1 big wheel yz85 in my entire life. Needless to say they don’t come up often and you’re better off with a Kx 100. I would suggest the new models and they looks awesome but if you come across earlier ones they are all the same.

if your son is a beginner, which sounds like he almost is, then a four stroke might be a better bike to go with.  2 strokes are awesome, esp at around 8K rpms!, but they'll surprise a kid, might even throw him, and if he's not wearing all the protective gear it might not end well.  Just sayin.  The other thing for you as the dad with the $ is a 2 stroke requires more maintenance and they're not as reliable.

Edited by Tfrank59
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LasVegasMx said:

My son races a kx100. It’s a great bike and already is a big wheel. Power is more controllable since it has a power-valve unlike a yz85. And I’ve only seen 1 big wheel yz85 in my entire life. Needless to say they don’t come up often and you’re better off with a Kx 100. I would suggest the new models and they looks awesome but if you come across earlier ones they are all the same.

The thing is that he won’t be racing it, but I love the power of a two stroke

What’s your opionions on the ttr 230

The thing is that he won’t be racing it, but I love the power of a two stroke

Yeah, I know he won’t be racing I just think everyone needs to have a 2 smoker in their life [emoji23]. I know my nephew just started riding on a yz85 he just puts in 1-3. All he had to master was starting off. I would just give him a little push while he let out the clutch in the begging and then when he got confident I wouldn’t do anything a bam [emoji95] A new rider has been born [emoji23]

13 hours ago, Tahoe Gator said:

+1. My Son is same size as yours. The KX85 we bought has child size ergonomics. He wears a size 12 boot and couldn't stop smacking the shifter while riding. The bike is not sized for early teens, IMO. We sold it.

Only issue with the KX85 and KX100 is that the kicker is very high so it's hard for shorter folks to constantly re-start all day (as you would do typically during a trail ride unlike MX).

19 minutes ago, LasVegasMx said:

The 2019 YZ85 finally added a power valve.

3 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

+1. My Son is same size as yours. The KX85 we bought has child size ergonomics. He wears a size 12 boot and couldn't stop smacking the shifter while riding. The bike is not sized for early teens, IMO. We sold it.

Only issue with the KX85 and KX100 is that the kicker is very high so it's hard for shorter folks to constantly re-start all day (as you would do typically during a trail ride unlike MX).

So would you recommend a kx100 or something like a ttr230

Yeah, I definitely have that issue with my nephew he has a little trouble with starting especially after a stall. And I do understand the shifter issue. But at 5’5 his boy would be okay. My only concern is at 130 he’s already more 125 category suspension wise. I would definitely maybe go towards a ttr230 for this case. Seems like a more fitting bike the more I think about it. Electric start, decent power, old reliable air cooled motor, oil changes far apart, etc. I had picked one up for my it was a 2015 ttr230 I had it for about 4 months. Great trail bike and awesome on gas.

1 hour ago, jack_dudan10 said:

So would you recommend a kx100 or something like a ttr230

A 250+ pound bike for someone who weighs 130 pounds is too heavy IMO. Possibly shop a KLX140G. Must be a G; no other variants. However, this is an immediate solution that won't work once he's taller and faster.

An older Husky TE125 or WR125 would be great if lowered because you could use the bike to grow with him size wise. YZ125 2005+. Taller but light is better than shorter and heavy IMO. The other MX bikes CR KX RM seem to be too peaky for woods riding unless it's a 03-05 KX125 but finding a low hour one is hard and there's zero aftermarket for it anymore. The newer TE150 and 150XCW aren't much lighter than a 250 and may actually be heavier than a Beta 200RR.

Edited by shrubitup
  • Helpful 1

A Rekluse clutch solves the kick starting problem because you rarely if ever stall. It’s also a game-changer for tackling tougher trails. My sense is so long as you keep the suspension setup for his weight, the KX100 will be more fun to ride, lower on the frustration scale, and possibly also toast the TTR230 once he gets the hang of it. But you will be bike shopping again in 18 months.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tahoe Gator said:

A Rekluse clutch solves the kick starting problem because you rarely if ever stall. It’s also a game-changer for tackling tougher trails. My sense is so long as you keep the suspension setup for his weight, the KX100 will be more fun to ride, lower on the frustration scale, and possibly also toast the TTR230 once he gets the hang of it. But you will be bike shopping again in 18 months.

Can't beat the Rekluse for adding confidence to a mx bike ridden on trails! You could likely remove it and sell that alone when it comes time to sell the bike for a bigger one.

11 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Can't beat the Rekluse for adding confidence to a mx bike ridden on trails! You could likely remove it and sell that alone when it comes time to sell the bike for a bigger one.

So y’all think I should go for a kx100 or maybe a yz125 with a rekluse

If it were me I would just buy a nice reliable (used) four stroke and if there's a concern about him falling over get something low enough that his feet can touch the ground.  And get something with enough displacement that he can ride it for a couple of years before he outgrows it, maybe a TTR 230 would work. Lower it if you have to. This is for singletrack trail riding, not for the track not for racing just for having a good time on the trails right?

Just now, Tfrank59 said:

If it were me I would just buy a nice reliable (used) four stroke and if there's a concern about him falling over get something low enough that his feet can touch the ground.  And get something with enough displacement that he can ride it for a couple of years before he outgrows it, maybe a TTR 230 would work. Lower it if you have to. This is for singletrack trail riding, not for the track not for racing just for having a good time on the trails right?

Yes. I’m not too worried about him falling though, he’s pretty skilled. Nothing like a two stroke but I feel like he can definitely learn. I just want something that will last him for a while but nothing that’s too much.