Jump to content
1gr8bldr

What not to do

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, Looking to learn a little more about what not to do.... Sure, there is much to be said on how to diet, exercise, etc. However, I may ask those things in time. I have never read a label, counted calories, etc. I just ate anything in front of me. A diet to me would be a diet soft drink, or reduce  fast food lunches. My activity level has kept  from demanding that I learn better habits. I have worked all my life like the speed of  someone doing  aerobics, very physically demanding, lifting and climbing.   However,  I'm 53 now and no longer have my crew to set the pace for, and has evolved  into sub hiring out that which I used to do.  And... I have not exercised in about 13 weeks now, and it's starting to show. First 4 weeks I was sick, then I hurt my ribs, then I had elbow surgery. Doc says 12 weeks before I can get back to normal, but I expect about 1 more week before I can start cardio, maybe 3 weeks before light weights.  I really need to learn better habits. I am  most interested in "bad foods". Of course, all that you have to say will be super interesting but specifically point out the no, no foods. LOL, I suppose I should give up my snickers bars. That kind of thing. My wife has recently given up soft drinks, but I can't tell that she feels any better? But, now that I am not working as hard as I used to, I expect that I will have to change my eating habits. And, I just realized this, since I am not working as hard, that I will need to up my workout. Good news is though that I should have more energy for a better workout.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

Pretty much, bad foods are anything processed or manufactured. Snickers would be a great example... 

Things like, my wife says white bread is not good for you. That sort of thing.

Processed foods.... Is it that they are not healthy due to chemicals?  Or content? Sounds like a dumb reply on my part, however, I am trying to figure out where I could trade one thing for another, healthier choice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And, on the road lunches... I know that fast food lunches are bad. For one, the food, and 2nd, I don't need that much volume either. Yet, skipping lunches for me causes a terrible crash that used to result in me skipping my evening workout. So, is there a healthier fast food choice?. I don't see me packing a lunch as realistic. My day starts out most days with me not knowing my timing of the day, if I will be home briefly or finish early, or work later, so, fast food is convenient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2019 at 11:57 AM, 1gr8bldr said:

And, on the road lunches... I know that fast food lunches are bad. 

Like this article says, what worked for this person isn't going to work for everyone, but it might start giving you ideas for what to eat on the road..... it's all about choices....

https://www.metaboliceffect.com/health-fitness-its-all-about-me-meaning-you/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2019 at 8:57 AM, 1gr8bldr said:

And, on the road lunches... I know that fast food lunches are bad. For one, the food, and 2nd, I don't need that much volume either. Yet, skipping lunches for me causes a terrible crash that used to result in me skipping my evening workout. So, is there a healthier fast food choice?. I don't see me packing a lunch as realistic. My day starts out most days with me not knowing my timing of the day, if I will be home briefly or finish early, or work later, so, fast food is convenient.

Eat a better breakfast and you won't need to eat crappy lunches. 3-4 eggs cooked in virgin olive oil (hard-boiled are great cause you can take them with you), a bulletproof coffee and you shouldn't need to eat those crap foods

If your job layout is inconsistent, you need to look at meal prep as a serious option. Make 4-5 chicken breasts, buy bulk nuts, bananas, apples, pre-made salads, etc... It's extremely easy to prep a week's worth of meals in a couple short hours. 

Sounds like you really don't want to change if you aren't willing to make the effort... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like my situation. Convenience. There's a few ways to tackle this. Just think though, small changes. Instead of that snickers bar, grab a protein bar. They're more expensive, but much more nutritional. If theres a grocery store near where you get your fast food lunch, go there instead. Most large grocers have ready made lunches to go. Whole cooked chickens,variety of salads that sort of thing. This you can also do on grocery shopping time. Pick out lunches for the week/day. 

Another way to tackle this is when you have dinner, make a little extra with having it for lunch the next day. This can get old fast though, as you'll be eating the same thing again the next day.

So what should you be eating? Fresh is best. Fruits vegetables and lean meats. Chicken, turkey and pork. Beef is good as well just not everyday. Nuts are good for snacks. Look at dried fruits and trail mixes as well. Try and keep away from anything salted and sugar coated. 

Fish is really good for you. Not the fishsticks, but fillets. Try and work it in to your diet 1 or 2 times a week. Tuna is good, and come premade in cans. Great for lunches. 

Try to eat whole grains. Bread/rice that are white have less nutrition than their whole grain conterparts. 

It sounds like you're eating alot of sugar/carbohydrates and that's probably why you have a crash at the end of the day. Try and cut as much sugar from your diet as you can and you won't experience this crash.

I would suggest if you want to know more on nutrition, check out some body building sites. Half of what they do is eating and the other half working out. You can find a lot of good info there.

Just remember, small steps. I know this can get overwhelming and a little confusing. But learn what you like and don't like and keep going. Once you start eating healthy, you will notice a marked difference in how you feel, and in your workouts as well. 

Good Luck:thumbsup:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2019 at 6:21 PM, I'm trying said:

Sounds like my situation. Convenience. There's a few ways to tackle this. Just think though, small changes. Instead of that snickers bar, grab a protein bar. They're more expensive, but much more nutritional. If theres a grocery store near where you get your fast food lunch, go there instead. Most large grocers have ready made lunches to go. Whole cooked chickens,variety of salads that sort of thing. This you can also do on grocery shopping time. Pick out lunches for the week/day. 

Another way to tackle this is when you have dinner, make a little extra with having it for lunch the next day. This can get old fast though, as you'll be eating the same thing again the next day.

So what should you be eating? Fresh is best. Fruits vegetables and lean meats. Chicken, turkey and pork. Beef is good as well just not everyday. Nuts are good for snacks. Look at dried fruits and trail mixes as well. Try and keep away from anything salted and sugar coated. 

Fish is really good for you. Not the fishsticks, but fillets. Try and work it in to your diet 1 or 2 times a week. Tuna is good, and come premade in cans. Great for lunches. 

Try to eat whole grains. Bread/rice that are white have less nutrition than their whole grain conterparts. 

It sounds like you're eating alot of sugar/carbohydrates and that's probably why you have a crash at the end of the day. Try and cut as much sugar from your diet as you can and you won't experience this crash.

I would suggest if you want to know more on nutrition, check out some body building sites. Half of what they do is eating and the other half working out. You can find a lot of good info there.

Just remember, small steps. I know this can get overwhelming and a little confusing. But learn what you like and don't like and keep going. Once you start eating healthy, you will notice a marked difference in how you feel, and in your workouts as well. 

Good Luck:thumbsup:

 

 

 

 Thanks, I hope to have enough small steps over time to actually get better.  The body building sites are to extreme for me. Something I can't live up to. But better choices, I can do.  I bought several bags of dried fruit. LOL, my wife looked at the label and said it was full of sugar.  I may eventually start pre making lunches, mainly because my wife does so it should be easy. Recently I started trading Wendys burgers for Chili. LOL, probably not the type of choices that will get me anywhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2019 at 1:27 PM, Hans Schmid said:

Eat a better breakfast and you won't need to eat crappy lunches. 3-4 eggs cooked in virgin olive oil (hard-boiled are great cause you can take them with you), a bulletproof coffee and you shouldn't need to eat those crap foods

If your job layout is inconsistent, you need to look at meal prep as a serious option. Make 4-5 chicken breasts, buy bulk nuts, bananas, apples, pre-made salads, etc... It's extremely easy to prep a week's worth of meals in a couple short hours. 

Sounds like you really don't want to change if you aren't willing to make the effort... 

I recently started, 2 months ago, eating yogurt mixed with pnuts for breakfast.  It's getting old, so I think I will try the eggs. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago, subway advertised that sub sandwiches were better than burgers, is this true?  I honestly don't need much for lunch. A small, bowl sized, not plate sized  salad would be plenty. I like salads. Does any fast food sell these. Many times my boots are  to dirty to go in so looking for drive through. Mcdonalds used to have good salads, but way more than I want for lunch. Honestly, just to much trouble, because I don't leave a job site for lunch. I just snack through..... so it's settled, I have to start making premade salads for lunch. My day is usually, work through lunch, leave starving at 2;30, then go by a fast food joint on the way home.  I hate to say what I ate today. yogurt at 7am, honeybun at 9, honey bun at 11, snickers at 1pm, wendys single at 2;30. I can't keep doing this. 8 lb over weight is going to turn to 10, then to 12, then ?

Edited by 1gr8bldr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, 1gr8bldr said:

Years ago, subway advertised that sub sandwiches were better than burgers, is this true?  I honestly don't need much for lunch. A small, bowl sized, not plate sized  salad would be plenty. I like salads. Does any fast food sell these. Many times my boots are  to dirty to go in so looking for drive through. Mcdonalds used to have good salads, but way more than I want for lunch. Honestly, just to much trouble, because I don't leave a job site for lunch. I just snack through..... so it's settled, I have to start making premade salads for lunch. My day is usually, work through lunch, leave starving at 2;30, then go by a fast food joint on the way home.  I hate to say what I ate today. yogurt at 7am, honeybun at 9, honey bun at 11, snickers at 1pm, wendys single at 2;30. I can't keep doing this. 8 lb over weight is going to turn to 10, then to 12, then ?

Subway is terrible. A&W offers lettuce wrap burgers, sweet potato fires and a water. Considerably less calories and a healthier alternative. 

Salad is good, but add MCT oil or protein to keep you full..

Everything you are eating is just oral pleasure, nothing more. 

Edited by Hans Schmid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, 1gr8bldr said:

Years ago, subway advertised that sub sandwiches were better than burgers, is this true?  I honestly don't need much for lunch. A small, bowl sized, not plate sized  salad would be plenty. I like salads. Does any fast food sell these. Many times my boots are  to dirty to go in so looking for drive through. Mcdonalds used to have good salads, but way more than I want for lunch. Honestly, just to much trouble, because I don't leave a job site for lunch. I just snack through..... so it's settled, I have to start making premade salads for lunch. My day is usually, work through lunch, leave starving at 2;30, then go by a fast food joint on the way home.  I hate to say what I ate today. yogurt at 7am, honeybun at 9, honey bun at 11, snickers at 1pm, wendys single at 2;30. I can't keep doing this. 8 lb over weight is going to turn to 10, then to 12, then ?

Wendy's has salads that are pretty good. Subway is a better choice. You can get better choice of bread whole wheat vs white. Say tuna or chicken without all the extra mayo and bacon. A lot the calories come from all the condiments and sauces. I remember years ago my Dad was trying to trim his belly and started eating salads more as an alternative. Only problem is he would pour about 1/2  a bottle of ranch dressing on it.😂 100 calorie salad turned into a 350 calorie high fat meal. 

I referred you to the bodybuilding sites bc you can learn what foods are good and why and with that info you can make better informed choices. I've learned plenty from them. Some will even get in depth enough as to what foods to eat at certain times of the day. It's mostly about optimization of your diet. But I only take a little here a little there. I'm not Arnold or aspire to be. So I have a lot of flexibility built in to my diet. But I've learned a lot about the food we eat and what they supply and interact with the body. 

Also coach Robb has a blog on here worth checking out. You can get a lot good info on diet and proformance there.

Hmm I'm going for a cheese burger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, I'm trying said:

Wendy's has salads that are pretty good. Subway is a better choice. You can get better choice of bread whole wheat vs white. Say tuna or chicken without all the extra mayo and bacon. A lot the calories come from all the condiments and sauces. I remember years ago my Dad was trying to trim his belly and started eating salads more as an alternative. Only problem is he would pour about 1/2  a bottle of ranch dressing on it.😂 100 calorie salad turned into a 350 calorie high fat meal. 

I referred you to the bodybuilding sites bc you can learn what foods are good and why and with that info you can make better informed choices. I've learned plenty from them. Some will even get in depth enough as to what foods to eat at certain times of the day. It's mostly about optimization of your diet. But I only take a little here a little there. I'm not Arnold or aspire to be. So I have a lot of flexibility built in to my diet. But I've learned a lot about the food we eat and what they supply and interact with the body. 

Also coach Robb has a blog on here worth checking out. You can get a lot good info on diet and proformance there.

Hmm I'm going for a cheese burger.

Todays whole bread is no better then white bread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, I'm trying said:

Wendy's has salads that are pretty good. Subway is a better choice. You can get better choice of bread whole wheat vs white. Say tuna or chicken without all the extra mayo and bacon. A lot the calories come from all the condiments and sauces. I remember years ago my Dad was trying to trim his belly and started eating salads more as an alternative. Only problem is he would pour about 1/2  a bottle of ranch dressing on it.😂 100 calorie salad turned into a 350 calorie high fat meal. 

I referred you to the bodybuilding sites bc you can learn what foods are good and why and with that info you can make better informed choices. I've learned plenty from them. Some will even get in depth enough as to what foods to eat at certain times of the day. It's mostly about optimization of your diet. But I only take a little here a little there. I'm not Arnold or aspire to be. So I have a lot of flexibility built in to my diet. But I've learned a lot about the food we eat and what they supply and interact with the body. 

Also coach Robb has a blog on here worth checking out. You can get a lot good info on diet and proformance there.

Hmm I'm going for a cheese burger.

Subways tuna is horrible for you by the way. Footlong 900+ calories, even the cold cut combo and steak and cheese are lower lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the feed back, no pun intended, it gets me to thinking. And motivates me to do better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

Subway is terrible. A&W offers lettuce wrap burgers, sweet potato fires and a water. Considerably less calories and a healthier alternative. 

Salad is good, but add MCT oil or protein to keep you full..

Everything you are eating is just oral pleasure, nothing more. 

That's a good phrase for me to remember, oral pleasure.  What is MCT oil?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

Todays whole bread is no better then white bread

Why would that be? I like the taste better though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×