RMZ450 Won’t Spark

Hi,

I’ve been trawling through various forums and Facebook trying to find out what my problem could be. I was hoping some previous threads were going to give me a solution, but no fix yet. 

Brothers bike won’t start. It will spark every 5-10 kicks. If I kick slowly right on the top of compression It does go. But when kicking repeatedly it doesn’t work. (With and without 12V external supply)

We have a second bike at a neighbour which we tried components swapped over. All fine. 

Tried in the dealer power supply and LED FI and showed no faults - confirmed by trying off various sensors to force a fault. 

Loop tested each circuit at sensor. And then though wiring loom to ecu. Resistance and Continuity ok. 

Followed manual for min peak volts from ckp and rotation sense with a made up peak voltage sensor. Ok. Just. It’s charging 12v ok and capacitor ok. Confirmed in bike and bench tested charge and discharge time. 

Ecu swapped- no difference. TOS/Kill ok.

Wiring loom removed and checked over line by line and continuity checked.

Ill attach photos of inside of stator/rotor. I think that the CKP/Stator set up has something wrong with it. I think stator ok, but the rotation sense/CKP pick up not working.

Im not sure what the start permissives would be on the bike, but I think I’ve covered them all. I’m not sure how the ECU works either....does it look for rotation to start fuel injection for example or does it look for rotation and CKP before ignition.

I did notice some slight scoring on the inside of the casing. The stator went away for testing which goes against me think that it’s the CKP/Stator assembly. I thought perhaps rotor, but it’s a nice strong magnet.

Hoping to swap stator and see how we get on.

TIA for any thoughts on this.

33C42230-3EE0-4E67-B6DE-F5860E6CCE9D.jpeg

105242C3-B6DD-4E45-8396-52E1BB18CB36.jpeg

594AA1EA-F230-4A69-A6DB-9CFC6504701C.jpeg

2 things to try, the connector on the fuel pump to the wiring loom fail all the time, check and or replace that. 

I have heard of a strange fault where it ended up being the flywheel, swap that over if you have access to one

15 hours ago, Rotaholic said:

2 things to try, the connector on the fuel pump to the wiring loom fail all the time, check and or replace that. 

I have heard of a strange fault where it ended up being the flywheel, swap that over if you have access to one

Thanks, we tested the pump separately and also from the ecu port (power down) and can feel it run when kicking. 

I think where going to replace rotor and stator and see how we get on. 

On 4/13/2019 at 10:33 PM, Rotaholic said:

Hi. Rotor was to blame. It was ,emtioned on other forums, but it would be the last thing to change along with wiring loom. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James Cameron Fraser said:

Hi. Rotor was to blame. It was ,emtioned on other forums, but it would be the last thing to change along with wiring loom. 

Glad you got it sorted :ride: