slowbike

Service your trailer bearings... a video tutorial

Posted (edited)

I bought a cheap cargo trailer a few months ago.

I learned a lesson a few years ago to make servicing the bearings on any used trailer a top priority before using it much.

The bearings on this trailer were toast.

Edited by slowbike

I learned the same lesson when I bought a 5x10 landscaping trailer frame that had been sitting in someone's yard for years.  I stripped the rust, primed, painted, re-wired, and put new flooring and tires on it.  I stupidly never thought to check the bearings, and ended stranded in Georgia for a couple days when my wheel almost fell off on I75 driving back from Florida.

Dexter, which makes most of these hubs/axles, says to service every yr or 12,000miles I think.........that means disassemble, inspect, replace as needed, clean, regrease.

Many  are like me and haul into the backcountry, which often involves going thru creeks with trailer wheels mostly submerged..

The seals, even when new, do a mediocre job  keeping the water out.

Often I'll see a bit of rust starting inside the hub mere weeks after a creek crossing.

Being the paranoid type about leaving my KTM on trailer by side of highway, I even carry a spare trailer hub on long road trips.   Like $40 of insurance?

Edited by BlackBuzzard