wbauto

BETA 500 rrs high speed stability

I finally broke in my beta enough torun it a little faster.  At 75-80 mph the front end wanders around pretty badly. Does anyone know what causes that and is there a fix? Its not head shake like the old honda crs. I have the stock tires and 20 psi air. 

Hmmm , First make sure to balance your wheels, otherwise they shake like crazy from around 50 mph on up.

I forgot to mention the wheels are balanced.  But its not that kind of shake. Its kinda like a fast left to right wandering. 

20 psi is a lot of air. Surprised it doesn’t have issues at lower speeds too. Try it around 14 or so If your worried about flats. 

Plus the stock front tire isn’t that great to begin with. 

• Like 1

Its kinda scary lol. I thpught maybe the suspension wasnt set right. 

It’s the air in tire. Mostly. I’m sure it does that at low speeds at that air pressure as well. 

• Like 1

when I ride mine over 60mph and there are wind gusts it's quite normal for the bike to get pushed around a bit..

Yeah i set the sag on the rear. I cant remember what measurement i used. What are most people setting tham at?     I figured for road riding thst 20psi would be ok. But that could explain the harsh feeling when the front end comes back down. 

Posted (edited)

My street pressure is up around 30-36psi.

Dirt pressure usually starts around 14 psi for the front, and 13 and below out back.

I like how my bike handles at around 90-95mm of race sag.

Forks at the first line.

Get it sprung for your weight, maybe even go one step heavier, if your over a couple hundred pounds.

IMG_0337.jpeg

Edited by surfer-dude

Is it just me, or does anyone here believe that any proper DS bike approaching 75/80 mph things get a little floaty? Granted I’ve seen it sometimes on other DS bikes and sh*t gets light and a little “loose” drifty feeling.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wbauto said:

Yeah i set the sag on the rear. I cant remember what measurement i used. What are most people setting tham at?     I figured for road riding thst 20psi would be ok. But that could explain the harsh feeling when the front end comes back down. 

100 mm sag, 20 PSI is too much air pressure,14 PSI is normal.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wbauto said:

I finally broke in my beta enough torun it a little faster.  At 75-80 mph the front end wanders around pretty badly. Does anyone know what causes that and is there a fix? Its not head shake like the old honda crs. I have the stock tires and 20 psi air. 

Throw away the stock tires. I gave mine away and still feel bad for the guy who got em free but he rode on the road so no big deal. 20 lbs in the dirt is way too much. Just systematically  drop pressure and test when you get good tires and go from there. It will be tons better with just that. Then beyond that like others say here can try steering damper etc if it’s still an issue.. and of course there’s suspension set up at whatever level you feel like trying later . Stiffer springs or whatever. I got up to the 70 80 mph range with the stock gearing. 15. 45??? On my 09 525 RS Beta when I first got it up some local dirt roads.  The suspension was very soft for my weight stock too but it was suprisingly stable. I did not have 20 lbs in my tires. It was more like 10 up front and 7 or 8 in back.  It was just a first ride and just went up the road to see how fast it would go just for the fun of it. It was surprisingly stable even with the stock super shitty tires.Later I got a 90/100-21 tractionator motoz up front and another motoz terrapactor? In back. Great tires that work good and last long. I’d look for whatever tires that work best for your local terrain and weather. But I believe anything is better than stock. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

The knobbies on the dirt tire are not meant to go 80mph. The wheel spin causes the tire to expand and dance on the middle knobs. 

3 hours ago, Rooster73 said:

The knobbies on the dirt tire are not meant to go 80mph. The wheel spin causes the tire to expand and dance on the middle knobs. 

Is it a 2WD😂

On what terrain? Are you talking about the street? My 500 is as stable as they come, but its still a dirtbike.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Chain adjustment the same on both sides? Forks even in the clamps and correct front wheel axle clamping? Bent rim or tire improperly mounted?

These bikes are inherently stable, something is wrong somewhere. 

• Like 1