FlockOfSalmon

CRF230F/L CRF230F: Suspension for a heavier rider

Just picked up a 2005 CRF230F and the suspension needs help. I've spent the last 10 hours of my life reading the shop manual and every post I can find on suspension. I've also spent about an hour on the phone with Bruce Triplett.

I originally wanted to go with the tried and true Bruce rods and Hagon shock, but I'm 210lbs in street clothes (probably 225_230 geared up)and from what I've read, the Hagon shock isn't going to allow me to have the proper sag.

I think I can make the forks work with some combination of bbr springs/spacers/Bruce mods. What do you guys recommend for an equally effective and simple solution for the shock? What should my target spring rate be?

I'm thinking about:

A Hagon shock with heavier spring. (Seems expensive for what it is and I haven't seen anyone try it yet. Unproven.)

A YSS of some sort, possibly with remote reservoir. (I like the price point, but haven't seen anyone compare it to the other available options.)

XR250R rebuilt and revalved. (Price of buying a used shock, rebuild, revalve, and re-spring, if there are even springs available, seems prohibitive.)

TL;DR

I'm 230 lbs all geared up. I'll be riding it hard in SE Idaho single track, chasing my buddies through the trees over rocky terrain. Looking for suspension advice.

1 hour ago, FlockOfSalmon said:

I've spent the last 10 hours of my life reading

You have definitely internalized what you read and come up with a good option list.

I would lean toward GavMac78's build for Dustin as your first year pattern to follow. I have ridden this build in moderately technical terrain and it is quite reasonable especially at the price point.

-Triplett with stiffer BBR spring or two
-YSS non-reservoir with whatever spring GavMac78 recommends... I find the YSS spring rates a bit odd

Based on this year's riding, you can move further ahead next winter with a different shock and/or even a fork swap. It is entirely possible you will have quite enough with the setup above, thus avoiding the cost and madness of advanced suspension mods.

BTW, I have kind of backed off my interest in the YSS reservoir. As BTR points out, it is just a crazy price point for anybody who is not doing racing, probably. 

Edited by RedMesa
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, FlockOfSalmon said:

Looking for suspension advice.

There is another angle in all this that I have become more aware of...

Riders have different sensitivities to suspension quality. 

I have been fortunate (crazy?) to get one of the last Fox Podiums and do a 400R fork swap.

But after riding stock and Triplett/emulsion shock upgrade after 5 and 3 years away from them... you know what?

The differences are not that dramatic, for me. Others would really notice.

Thus my advice to take it a season at a time and not go in whole hog and spend a lot of money at first. Main thing is, just ride.

Edited by RedMesa

I have had a Hagon shock and Bruce’s damper rods with #40 straight wound fork springs for almost ten years now on my 2005 273cc 230f I weigh the same amount as you (Exactly) I only ride single track trails and No Moto at all. YOU WILL BE FINE. No Doubt at all.

(Unless your going to ride Moto cross)

All my stuff was purchased at Bruce’s except I already had the Cannon springs.

I run 0-20 Amsoil 5” from the top of a compressed fork with no spring.

I run air bleeders in my fork caps and bleed all the air out while sitting on the front of the seat.

My bike is 50cc over stock and runs hard.

Again:

YOU WILL BE FINE.

Don’t worry about it.

Just get it done and ride it.

• Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

I appreciate both of your responses. You both touched on the exact thing I'm trying to avoid, which is going too far down the rabbit hole too fast and ending up making things more complicated than they have to be. 

That YSS sounds interesting if I can get the right spring rate. Sent @GavMac78 a PM. Hoping he'll point me in the right direction. 

If not, the Hagon doesn't seem like the lost cause I thought it was. 

Edited by FlockOfSalmon
Testing out the "tag username" feature.

Not sure where to even start!

Quickest answer - According to Klaus the USA YSS distrubutor the stock shocked YSS should be "sufficient" for a 230lb rider.  Stock is a 115 nmm or 656lb spring.  That said, I ended up with a 85nmm or 485lb spring.  After 6 hours of varied riding, Dustin says (his opinion) that the shock is still too stiff for trail riding.  However this could be skewed due to the free sag being set to high.  He wasn't around to help me set it.  So just set it at .75" and called it good.  I am going to back it off a bit more and see what he thinks at 1" or maybe even a tad more.  I feel like this might be about the right spring for Dustin and possibly still a little stiff for a lighter rider.  I admit, I have not spent a lot of time on his bike so I don't really have much input on how the YSS compares to the Hagon.  But I'm also 180# ride ready, so it's not an equal comparison.  His shock is definitely stiffer than the Hagon.  I should also point out that he had a couple rides on the stocker and didn't think it was all that bad.

Side note - I did put in Bruces Rods with both BBR springs.  He is really happy with the front end.  Definitely stiffer than my Bruce Rods and cut stock springs/spacers.

Like RedMesa said - JUST RIDE!!

• Helpful 1