ToolmanJohn

Xtrainer -idling, stalls pointed downhill DRIVEWAY!!

So something funny strange. When I had the Xtrainer pointed slightly up-grade on my drvieway (it's about 5 degrees uphill from street to garage door) it is idling fine when warmed up.

But as soon as I roll it back and turn to face down the driveway, it stalls. Boink. Did it twice to verify. Drove onto street, turned back into driveway rode up to garage door, no prpblem idling. Roll backwards ad turn around. Boink, stalled. It also tried to stll when pointed uphill and leaning the bike onto the stand while the engine was running.

Ok I'm thinking float? Is there anything else it possibly could be? Elevation 400 feet-ish, temps near 70 degrees F.

Also I was noticing a high hanging idle after warmed up, and RPM's would only drop down if I let out the clutch a bit at standstill, but I didn't play with the air screw, I was thinking it odd as hell that it would stall like that.

pj-38

mj-160

needle N1EI clip position 2

These are the BEta chart settings.

This happened once to me. In my casei had just re jetted and accidentally used the jetting specs from the 250 RR column. I think I'd go back through the carb.... In my case it would stall at a steeper angle.

Before you jet any Beta, verify the float by measuring not the eyeball method. Otherwise you will be chasing your tail. Also many have used Suzuki needle with great results. Jetting specs are on TT for you to review.

• Like 2

Jetting shouldnt affect the angle, more a case that float height is incorrect, hanging idle is normally a lean condition, I think float height too low.  

Float height is too low, meaning not enough fuel in the carb bowl, and the float needle valve is killing fuel supply?

My driveway isn't crazy steep either. About 12 inches rise over 20 feet. So it was a surprise it did it a few times as I tried to figure out what the heck was going on.

Edited by ToolmanJohn

my 150xcw is better perfect as far as response and power now as well as the plug but when facing up hill or downhill the idle speed will change and after giving it a hard rev even standing still or ripping down a straight come to a stop the idle is up high for 5-10seconds then comes back to normal. so is that float too high? I have a clear fuel filter in line w the hose so I know the carb is always filled w fuel so figure its maybe too high

Remove your carb and check the float height and check your float needle seat to make sure you don't have any debris in the seat causing the float to stick. 

• Like 1