I've recently gotten my 17yr old daughter into riding. She loves it and REALLY wants to race in a hare scramble. Problem is, she is entry level, and I just don't think her CRF150F is up to the task. The suspension is really not very good.  She has ridden my KTM 200 and loves it, but could not start it. She is not fast yet by any stretch but does love the hit of a 2 stroke and is begging for real suspension.  I was planning to get her a 125 and put a heavy flywheel on it, but I watched her sitting on my '05 200 and there is just no way she could manage a bike that tall. It's too tall for her to start in a bad spot.  She says she wants a 2 stroke, but size is more important than cycle at this point.  A KX100 is one good option. Might be a good choice, with some added flywheel weight.  Another choice is a KTM 125 SX with lowering links. I don't know anything about the CRF150R maybe that is also a good option also?

What do you think? 

Thanks

IMG_6103.jpg

Lower a 125 or 200 for her. Have it done right by adding spacers inside the forks and shock. You don’t loose much in performance, but the confidence of a shorter bike is huge. Another option might be a kdx200.

My wife has had a shortened kdx, 400exc, and now a 350 exc.

Posted (edited)

If you want a new bike lower that ktm 200, tame it down with flywheel wieght. Also more base gasket, lower the hit a little more, maybe throttle stop, or throttle cam etc.

It is tough to find a serious bike with lower seat height. Check out the kdx 200, the e series is a little shorter but needs upgrades.  If ur girl is brave lower the ktm 200, buy yourself a upgrade.

Oh yeah get her all the protection gear , head to toe.

Edited by Wastate

Beta XTrainer 250 / 300 if the budget is there.  

It's smaller than a full sized bike which would probably be perfect for her.   It probably has the same peak power as your 200 but it's more linear with a bit more off the bottom and less up top. The power can be brought up to the levels of the 250 RR / 300 RR if she ever needs it.

Doc

• Like 1

Teach her to kick that 200. There pretty mild. She may need to kick it while on the stand at first.

Ok cheater way, my bf cut a portion of the rear spring off to lower the 200. It worked. Or husky u can go the way of the lowering link too. A 200 is a perfect cc size. Some bikes u can shave the seats down more than others.

2 minutes ago, pussywagon said:

Teach her to kick that 200. There pretty mild. She may need to kick it while on the stand at first.

that looks like a 04/05 KTM 200. The top end hit on those is very aggressive - more so than the X-trainer 300 of yours. The KTM 200 motor kicker is up super high. I'm 6'2" and I didn't much care for its position.

• Like 1

that looks like a 04/05 KTM 200. The top end hit on those is very aggressive - more so than the X-trainer 300 of yours. The KTM 200 motor kicker is up super high. I'm 6'2" and I didn't much care for its position.
The one i was on was a 2009.

KX100 is a good choice. 125's are just as tall as 250 two strokes so like u said probably not an option. KDX is a little lower than the MXers but if ur bike isn't too tall for her just teach her how to start it. She'll just have to have her left foot on something high enough give her sufficient leverage to kick it... she can learn

• Like 2

Stay with something 200lbs, the ktm is light tho, i still feel like the xtrainer too freaking heavy some days.

KX100 is a good choice. 125's are just as tall as 250 two strokes so like unsaid probably not an option. KDX is a little lower than the MXers but if ur bike isn't too tall for her just teach her how to start it. She'll just have to have her left foot on something high enough give rhwr sufficient leverage to kick it... she can learn
Kdx can get low after u shave that 6 inch couch down.
  • Like 1

Kdx can get low after u shave that 6 inch couch down.

I've recently gotten my 17yr old daughter into riding. She loves it and REALLY wants to race in a hare scramble. Problem is, she is entry level, and I just don't think her CRF150F is up to the task. The suspension is really not very good.  She has ridden my KTM 200 and loves it, but could not start it. She is not fast yet by any stretch but does love the hit of a 2 stroke and is begging for real suspension.  I was planning to get her a 125 and put a heavy flywheel on it, but I watched her sitting on my '05 200 and there is just no way she could manage a bike that tall. It's too tall for her to start in a bad spot.  She says she wants a 2 stroke, but size is more important than cycle at this point.  A KX100 is one good option. Might be a good choice, with some added flywheel weight.  Another choice is a KTM 125 SX with lowering links. I don't know anything about the CRF150R maybe that is also a good option also?
What do you think? 
Thanks

IMG_6103.jpg.59bc0600f65be376e39fdd100f484cbd.jpg
I hear the r version is sweet tho.

Now if i could have any bike, that sherco 125 looks very tasty. There is something inherently more satisfying with small bore bikes.

If thicken up base gasket it will tame power and make more easy to start,

use compression checker and squish measurement.

• Like 1

great replies thanks everyone. I think I'll just have to drag her around with me to look at a bunch of different bikes.
Awesome... let us know what she's gonna roll with!