03 kx250 or yz250x??

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone its been a long time since ive even lurked through the forums here. since where i currently live there are few riders which means i cant get very many opinions. 

Im getting ready to move back to southern california and i am currently on the fence about selling my 2003 kx250 and getting a 2016+ yz250. 

I love my kx, its set up to my liking for the most part, oversized tank, pro taper bars, asv levers, pc pipe, v force 3 reeds, i just did a top and bottom end on it with a prox rod and weisco piston etc....but its still a mx bike and im more of a desert rider so its rough in some situations. The biggest issue is that all i have for it is a lost title form, and california is obviously strict about registration. Also there is a lot of wear on big parts like the swing arm and forks.

I am unsure on if i should sell it and throw the money on a yz250x, ive heard good things about it and i feel it would be good for what i like to ride. Im a green machine fan for sure, but kawasaki is focused on the moto scene more so than the off road rider and i havnt read about them bringing back a 250 smoker in the near future. 

Any opinions? Is there someone here who has ridden both and has some bike wisdom they can share?

Edited by ))___CRAYON___)) >

No comparison. My buddy sold his '03 KX250 this year for an '18 250X. While the KX was a beast in sand washes and fire roads it was not as good in the technical stuff. The X will lug really well and it comes with better suspension and geometry. The only negative on the X is the trans gearing is a little weird.

I raced 03 kx back in 03. Good bike but not even close to as good as yz.  The yz power is much better and more useable.  Forks are 10× better 

I guess all i needed to hear was good things from people who had experience with both for me to pull the trigger. Now i just need to find one.?

The YZ250X might be the closest thing to a modern KDX, which to me with a few upgrades is tough to beat; even though the KDX is more than a decade old.  I am waiting for a Yamaha demo tour to come to NorCal so I can give an X a try.  The price makes the bike enticing as well.  Probably the best suspension in the business too.  Either way, hate to see someone leave Team Green, but with a lack of off-road and 2-stroke presence, can't blame you.  Good luck!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VTMTcowboy said:

The YZ250X might be the closest thing to a modern KDX, which to me with a few upgrades is tough to beat; even though the KDX is more than a decade old.  I am waiting for a Yamaha demo tour to come to NorCal so I can give an X a try.  The price makes the bike enticing as well.  Probably the best suspension in the business too.  Either way, hate to see someone leave Team Green, but with a lack of off-road and 2-stroke presence, can't blame you.  Good luck!

I wouldnt be suprised if immediately after i get a 250x, kawi is going to come out with an off road 250 2 stroke....

20 hours ago, ))___CRAYON___)) > said:

I wouldnt be suprised if immediately after i get a 250x, kawi is going to come out with an off road 250 2 stroke....

Lol, yup same thing would happen to me.

• Haha 1

On 4/17/2019 at 10:43 PM, ))___CRAYON___)) > said:

Twelve years now and no new adult size two strokes from Kawasaki in the USA. I think they're done now.

21 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Twelve years now and no new adult size two strokes from Kawasaki in the USA. I think they're done now.

Sadly you are correct sir.  One can dream.

So i found a guy with an 03 frame with the title. Im starting to lean towards that, its a lot cheaper, and ill have money left over for a lectron carb. Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, ))___CRAYON___)) > said:

So i found a guy with an 03 frame with the title. Im starting to lean towards that, its a lot cheaper, and ill have money left over for a lectron carb. Any thoughts?

Do not waste your funds on snake oil carburetors from Lectron. Spend that money on suspension and tires/tubliss instead.

3 hours ago, ))___CRAYON___)) > said:

I'd say don't bother, 03 would get the red ohv sticker rather than the green for 2002 and earlier bikes. As for a Lectron, that's if everything else on a bike is good, and you really needed it for big elevation changes during 1 ride. Sell that KX before going to CA for as much as you can, and perhaps buy a nicely built 2006+ YZ, or a YZ250X. The few "mods" the latter has makes it much better for many trails. 1 of the few other options I might suggest would be some '01 or '02 that been's totally setup for "woods" or such. A green/yellow/red 2strokes is possibly unwise since they've been out of the game for 10 years or more.

16 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Do not waste your funds on snake oil carburetors from Lectron. Spend that money on suspension and tires/tubliss instead.

I dont jetting though haha

anyone here had a chance to ride the 250x in the dunes? Im not sure how the lower compression, or longer 3rd and up will be out there. I know the suspension would need to be compression ould have to be maxed out too.

Dunes are my favorite kind of riding, i dont want to replace my kx with a bike that wont perform as well out there

1 hour ago, ))___CRAYON___)) > said:

anyone here had a chance to ride the 250x in the dunes? Im not sure how the lower compression, or longer 3rd and up will be out there. I know the suspension would need to be compression ould have to be maxed out too.

Dunes are my favorite kind of riding, i dont want to replace my kx with a bike that wont perform as well out there

450F so much better than a 250 in the dunes. 

15 hours ago, TheSlayer said:

I'd say don't bother, 03 would get the red ohv sticker rather than the green for 2002 and earlier bikes. As for a Lectron, that's if everything else on a bike is good, and you really needed it for big elevation changes during 1 ride. Sell that KX before going to CA for as much as you can, and perhaps buy a nicely built 2006+ YZ, or a YZ250X. The few "mods" the latter has makes it much better for many trails. 1 of the few other options I might suggest would be some '01 or '02 that been's totally setup for "woods" or such. A green/yellow/red 2strokes is possibly unwise since they've been out of the game for 10 years or more.

I agree fully. If you are going to get an 03, might as well get an 02 then you can ride anywhere anytime.  It is the one draw back to my 04 KDX, but then again it forces me out to the Sierras instead of Carnegie so all is not lost.  The X is certainly intriguing because the price point is still "reasonable."  

Not sure about riding dunes, but it is still a 250 2-stroke, so more power than I'll ever be able to max out.  

• Like 1