Just got my first Drz 400 !!

IMG_0578.JPGIMG_0579.JPG so I’m going to get new tires and side panels for the bike it’s a great bike so far I will be updating the pictures soon but I have to say the bike needs a new exhaust and I’m a little Scared of RE jetting the carb it came with a slip on pipe already but it’s old and outdated in my book the bike is a 2004 with yes I know this is hard to say but it has 14.000 miles on it so what exhaust should I go worth that’s not crazy expensive and any tips on RE jetting this old dog ? Also... how do I keep it running good ?

• Like 1

Get a well known exhaust - complete system and then a JD jet kit.  There are instructions in the kit for setting the carb up with a series of modifications,  3x3 hole and a performance exhaust.  check your bike to see if the 3x3 has been done (basically a 3 inch by 3 inch hole in the top of the air box) if not them do it (it's almost free Horsepower) then apply the correct needle and jet for your exhaust and riding altitude. That's the easy way.  There is also a jetting spreadsheet that allows you to select from a standard range of jets.  It can be found in this forum thread:

Be sure to check your set against the bottom tabs and select the setup closest to yours

• Like 1

i am also very new to the DRZ world.  my bike already has a jet kit installed but I've had to remove the carb to figure out why the bike wouldn't run at all.  I watched a video on youtube of a JD jetting kit being installed on a Drz.  its not hard if you have mechanical ability and tools.  but the box comes with very detailed instructions with pictures and you can always watch youtube videos at the same time also.  good looking bike! 

21 hours ago, Danmustang96 said:

IMG_0578.JPGIMG_0579.JPG so I’m going to get new tires and side panels for the bike it’s a great bike so far I will be updating the pictures soon but I have to say the bike needs a new exhaust and I’m a little Scared of RE jetting the carb it came with a slip on pipe already but it’s old and outdated in my book the bike is a 2004 with yes I know this is hard to say but it has 14.000 miles on it so what exhaust should I go worth that’s not crazy expensive and any tips on RE jetting this old dog ? Also... how do I keep it running good ?

Honestly, I would go with the stock exhaust, but maybe with an aftermarket tip.  I uncorked a stock DRZ with jetting, intake opened up, and swapped out the pea shooter tip for  an opened up replacement tip (still has spark arrestor) and the bike is still very quiet.  I don't think there is a lot to be gained with loud exhausts on these bikes nor weight saved.  

When you do the carb watch out for the little spring, ask me how I know......

3x3 and stock exhaust here. 

Get a full exhaust when the budget allows, live with what you have til then.

If you keep your eye out in the classifieds you can score a used exhaust for a good price. I got mine from someone off here, full MRD SSW exhaust for $300. Then I got another MRD full system on here for $350 for my buddies DRZ. Mrd is the best bang for your buck. 

Honestly, I would go with the stock exhaust, but maybe with an aftermarket tip.  I uncorked a stock DRZ with jetting, intake opened up, and swapped out the pea shooter tip for  an opened up replacement tip (still has spark arrestor) and the bike is still very quiet.  I don't think there is a lot to be gained with loud exhausts on these bikes nor weight saved.  
Unfortunately a good free flowing uncorked exhaust is going to be loud,so you wear a helmet liner and ear plugs.The weight savings over stock is pretty substantial though. My full Yosh Trc system is about 7lbs lighter than the stock pipe.ymmv

Have you worked on bikes much before? A proactive approach is the best and most satisfying way to get a lot more miles out of it.