Interested to hear from anyone who has had their upper tubes coated in Black Kashima and how its going.

Interested to hear from anyone who has had their upper tubes coated in Black Kashima and how its going.

Looks as good as the day I installed them.. 50hrs only though but 12 months old

46 minutes ago, KBRPKENNY said:

Looks as good as the day I installed them.. 50hrs only though but 12 months old emoji1305.png

Cheers. Not so successful with a couple of sets i got done.

Not kashima but we have a black coat that is as good if not better.

On 4/15/2019 at 8:43 PM, Rotaholic said:

Who does the black kashima? 

Same factory in Japan that does the bronze.

1 minute ago, yamaha227 said:

Same factory in Japan that does the bronze.

So places like motokote just end up sending them to Japan on your behalf? Never looked into it TBH

1 hour ago, Rotaholic said:

So places like motokote just end up sending them to Japan on your behalf? Never looked into it TBH

Yep.

As I understand it, anyone used to be able to send directly to the Miyaki company to get Kashima coating if you met their minimum order requirements.  But apparently they got sick of dealing with thousands of individuals.

So they appointed a representative in each country.  Every suspension tuner that offers the service has to go through this representative.  The exception to this is guys like MotoKote and the OP that went through a suspension shop in Japan.  It doesn't speed up the process or change the price, but it can cause issues with warranty claims.

Apparently they are looking at starting a factory in the States under licence.  I am guessing this is mainly to service the Fox mtb suspension side of things, as they are a very big customer of theirs.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

57 minutes ago, dwb79 said:

Yep.

As I understand it, anyone used to be able to send directly to the Miyaki company to get Kashima coating if you met their minimum order requirements.  But apparently they got sick of dealing with thousands of individuals.

So they appointed a representative in each country.  Every suspension tuner that offers the service has to go through this representative.  The exception to this is guys like MotoKote and the OP that went through a suspension shop in Japan.  It doesn't speed up the process or change the price, but it can cause issues with warranty claims.

Apparently they are looking at starting a factory in the States under licence.  I am guessing this is mainly to service the Fox mtb suspension side of things, as they are a very big customer of theirs.

Thanks man, great post

On 4/17/2019 at 10:28 AM, dwb79 said:

The exception to this is guys like MotoKote and the OP that went through a suspension shop in Japan.  It doesn't speed up the process or change the price, but it can cause issues with warranty claims.

They are finally seeing the light and I'm having a win with the warranty.

Was just wondering if anyone else has experienced problems with the black.

On April 15, 2019 at 11:33 AM, n2dirt said:

Not kashima but we have a black coat that is as good if not better.

How so

12 hours ago, The Creature said:

How so 

Kashima is hard anodize impregnated with molybdenum disulfide. They dye it either gold/bronze or black (the dye color differences won't have any affect on the performance).

We have a coating, Kyokote (which n2dirt is referring to), that is hard anodize impregnated with Teflon. We worked with our supplier in developing a process to strip the old anodize such that the resulting surface is still smooth and after the new coating is applied the critical dimensions are negligibly different. 

Miyaki has approached our supplier looking to license Kashima to them, but they declined after testing Kashima against Kyokote and finding no performance advantage.

Here are a couple images, all the same coating, just either dyed black or clear:

luxon-kyokote-clear-black.jpg

luxon-kyokote-dlc-forks.jpg

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

I had a black teflon coat to my forks back in 94 ? Shock as well

6 hours ago, LuxonMX said:

Kashima is hard anodize impregnated with molybdenum disulfide. They dye it either gold/bronze or black (the dye color differences won't have any affect on the performance).

We have a coating, Kyokote (which n2dirt is referring to), that is hard anodize impregnated with Teflon. We worked with our supplier in developing a process to strip the old anodize such that the resulting surface is still smooth and after the new coating is applied the critical dimensions are negligibly different. 

Miyaki has approached our supplier looking to license Kashima to them, but they declined after testing Kashima against Kyokote and finding no performance advantage.

Here are a couple images, all the same coating, just either dyed black or clear:

luxon-kyokote-clear-black.jpg

luxon-kyokote-dlc-forks.jpg

Sounds good Luxon. How do they compare durability and pricing wise?

35 minutes ago, yamaha227 said:

Sounds good Luxon. How do they compare durability and pricing wise?

Durability should be essentially identical to Kashima since it's the same base coating (hard anodize). We've had this coating on bikes for over a year now and they hold up great. Pricing is a little cheaper since they don't have to go all the way to Japan, and we can do quantity breaks and dealer pricing (at quantity) as well.

• Like 2

One thing I can add about Kashima is the oil definitely seems to get dirty really fast.

One thing I can add about Kashima is the oil definitely seems to get dirty really fast.
Shouldn't it be less ?

7 minutes ago, n2dirt said:

I don't find that

On 4/23/2019 at 9:05 AM, bowser said:

I don't find that

I did, only because the black kashima was wearing off inside ?