Aftermarket shift cam stopper plate? (to avoid hitting neutral)

Does anyone know if someone makes an aftermarket shift cam stopper plate (that's what suzuki calls it) with a more narrow neutral divot so I it doesn't hit neutral by accident as often? Im talking about this piece:

1779798041_shiftcamstopperplate.png.dfce7ffb80f14a637a6a53a004ec14b6.png

I want it to shift like my cr250.

Honda calls that same part a "gearshift drum center."

5 hours ago, md30 said:

Does anyone know if someone makes an aftermarket shift cam stopper plate (that's what suzuki calls it) with a more narrow neutral divot so I it doesn't hit neutral by accident as often? Im talking about this piece:

be another reason why you're shifting into neutral. As long as the parts don't have any wear in them and you're shifting properly you should have be going into neutral. Maybe try adjusting your gear shift lever?. You can try adjusting it on the splines up or down a few notches. I never hit neutral . I guess if you really wanted to you could modify the slots yourself but I think by doing that you might be asking for trouble. Not sure what size boots you wear. But I bought a longer shifter lever to accommodate my size 13 boots it made shifting a lot nicer. And a cheap upgrade

11 hours ago, mmiguy2103 said:

be another reason why you're shifting into neutral. As long as the parts don't have any wear in them and you're shifting properly you should have be going into neutral. Maybe try adjusting your gear shift lever?. You can try adjusting it on the splines up or down a few notches. I never hit neutral . I guess if you really wanted to you could modify the slots yourself but I think by doing that you might be asking for trouble. Not sure what size boots you wear. But I bought a longer shifter lever to accommodate my size 13 boots it made shifting a lot nicer. And a cheap upgrade

It happens so frequently with me i thought and assumed it was a problem for everyone. The bike only has 4k miles so i don't think it's worn down. boot is an sg10 size 10. Im wondering if anyone else out there experiences this issue just with their drz...

True different motorcycles shift differently.  I have never hit neutral on the DRZ400.  In fact it is one of the best shifting motorcycles I have ridden.  And I have to rate Honda's in general as not as good.  So maybe technique or maybe something actually wrong with your specific motorcycle but it is not a general characteristic of the model.

Do you find neural up shifting or down shifting?

Neutral of course is the spot to the right of the roller shown in the picture and you are right. If you do not shift all the way thru to the next gear, the "stopper" is not going to complete the shift for you as it most likely will for other gears.

4 minutes ago, Noble said:

Do you find neural up shifting or down shifting?

Both! And both when I ride off road and street. I also have an xr250 in addition to my cr250, and i don't have an issue with that bike either. 

One nice thing about having that wide neutral is it's easy to find at a stop light. I don't have to be as precise with the pressure i apply to the shifter pedal as i do my xr250. But at the risk of missing a gear I'd rather it be tighter.

I wish I could help you with this because I have a somewhat similar problem that no one has been able to figure out yet.  Mine shifts from 3rd to neutral about half the time. Totally misses 2nd, neutral light comes on.  I would like to check out those parts in your photo at my next oil change.  How much do you have to take off to get to them?  Thanks!

Side cover and clutch.

I tend to hit neutral on several of my bikes going from first to second but only when I take off fairly hard , that's all due to me not fully shifting like normal, I`ll pull up too light or not enough trying to get going faster. Otherwise not an issue except an occasional 2nd to neutral when downshifting for a corner when rpms are rather high for 1st yet since installing the ACT gears.

Edited by jjktmrider

Just to follow up, i moved the shifter down one spline and it is SO much more comfortable to use now and shifts up a lot better, but I'm still hitting neutral on the downshift sometimes. with the shifter in this position it does make slight contact with the frame when shifting down, although not enough to notice when actually using it. only noticed when i was playing around with it afterwards with my hand. some light sanding to the shifter should resolve that. thanks for the ideas.

IMG_20190426_213143.jpg

Just to follow up, i moved the shifter down one spline and it is SO much more comfortable to use now and shifts up a lot better, but I'm still hitting neutral on the downshift sometimes. with the shifter in this position it does make slight contact with the frame when shifting down, although not enough to notice when actually using it. only noticed when i was playing around with it afterwards with my hand. some light sanding to the shifter should resolve that. thanks for the ideas.

IMG_20190426_213143.jpg.49e55f473d64ac515b7c66333e14d0b0.jpg

Edit, never mind, you wear SG's.

Is that an aftermarket market shifter?

I wear size 11's and don't have any issues with the stock or Hammerhead lever once I set them to my liking. If I am the way forward on the fuel tank I do have to make a conscience effort when I shift from 1st to 2nd or I might miss it. If I was to actually race I would probably drop it 1 more spline but for normal riding it is better where it is

1 hour ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Edit, never mind, you wear SG's.

Is that an aftermarket market shifter?

I wear size 11's and don't have any issues with the stock or Hammerhead lever once I set them to my liking. If I am the way forward on the fuel tank I do have to make a conscience effort when I shift from 1st to 2nd or I might miss it. If I was to actually race I would probably drop it 1 more spline but for normal riding it is better where it is

That's the stock shifter, but i put a rubber boot off ebay on it so it doesn't tear off my shoe laces when i ride street (works great), and im converting it to an SM only bike. 

On 4/15/2019 at 12:08 AM, md30 said:

What If I told you in a few weeks, there will be a Shift improvement kit available. 

• Like 1

To show you guys what I mean, just watch the first thirty seconds of this video: 

I have so much footage of me cussing on my DRZ from missing a gear. In the second incident I slowed down on a climb to not run into the back of my friend and tried to shift down to 1st from second, and hit neutral, lost momentum, and dropped the bike. never happens on my other bikes.