rear shock settings

06 450 exc so im attempting to set up my suspension myself. bike is used as a dual sport bought it used ive never touched suspension other than replacing the shock bearings and fork seals. anyways the manual says base line settings 35mm static sag 90-110mm rider sag, check and check. compression turn fully clockwise and back out 15 clicks, rebound fully clockwise back out 22 clicks. heres the problem...I only have 15 clicks of rebound adjustment from fully seated to fully backed out. has someone been in the rear shock and screwed up something or am i missing something? compression has 48 clicks of adjustment from fully seated to fully backed out. whats going on???

They often seize up at a certain point ,do not force it ,it will snap internally ,requires a strip down and rebuild of the clevis ,not a easy job

Turn the shock upside down, remove the small black plug under the clevis spray penetrating lube in the hole.

Let the shock set up side down for a day or two,  work the screw in and out as Mog said do not force.

It should have 32 to 34 clicks if it’s  working correctly.

It may have to go to a reputable suspension tuner, someone that understands this mechanism needs to come apart and be lubricated.

On a different subject, this 06 chassis likes a lot of SAG try 120 up to maybe 125 mm.

So I pulled the shock off removed the tiny rubber plug filled it with pb blaster left it sitting upside down for a few days worked the screw in and out a bunch of times still no go only 15 clicks of adjustment. Getting it disassembled and fixed properly isn't an option at the moment so in the meantime can anyone with the same rear shock tell me how many clicks out from fully seated in is the screw when flush with the nut as pictured? Trying to get an idea where I'm at thanks in advance!

20190425_100434.jpg

Posted (edited)

Good luck to you. Just be aware that the setting someone else has in a shock that is working properly may not work well for you. Your starting point may not be correct due to internal issues. Your "fully seated" may not be the same as theirs.

Edited by Piney Woods

So I pulled the shock off removed the tiny rubber plug filled it with pb blaster left it sitting upside down for a few days worked the screw in and out a bunch of times still no go only 15 clicks of adjustment. Getting it disassembled and fixed properly isn't an option at the moment so in the meantime can anyone with the same rear shock tell me how many clicks out from fully seated in is the screw when flush with the nut as pictured? Trying to get an idea where I'm at thanks in advance!

20190425_100434.thumb.jpg.2d8cd28b2107d500e0cf7fa679262b36.jpg

sounds like that damping adjuster is broken. It may not matter where you turn that screw, it may not have an effect. Go all in and all out...push down on your seat and watch the rate it comes back up...you may not see a difference.

If it does change...ride it and see where you like it the best.

15 out maybe ok to ride ,it's around the STD setting

If its broken you can see it looking through the hole.

I suspect your needle is stuck, if screw goes in and out then its stuck for sure.

I would ask your tuner if he has done this fix before.

To answer your question it should be in the 17/20 clicks out zone, and it has 32/34 clicks soooo take it in 15 and it should be close..     that is probably were it was when it got stuck.

P.S. its 14 years old has it been serviced???

Can't say for sure as I bought it used but probably not. that makes it litteraly the only part on the bike I haven't serviced, rebuilt or replaced. We have a reputable suspension guy who does all the local racers bikes but like I said not in the cards at the moment with 2 cars, motorcycle, house, wife and new baby it's always somthing lol. Thanks for the reply though