If only Ando was in the mix

Webb seems to have the upper hand this year with racecraft and skill not to mention the desire to park anyone that's gets in his way.

Would he have parked Ando like Marvin

• Like 1

Ando is an interesting character in our sport. If he comes back and lays an egg in both MX/SX, he will go down (in my humble opinion) as a true "flash in the pan" champ. Yes, he won and deserves kudos, but he also was crazy lucky to get the championship and has been off the pace ever since.

• Like 1

Anderson and Webb would have undoubtedly had some (or at least one) battles this year that may have changed the outcome that we're seeing now. Anderson would be my choice over Webb any day!

3 hours ago, kimberley rider said:

Webb seems to have the upper hand this year with racecraft and skill not to mention the desire to park anyone that's gets in his way.

I think you forgot to mention how LUCKY he's been so far, the planets have aligned for him this season.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, TDW said:

I think you forgot to mention how LUCKY he's been so far, the planets have aligned for him this season.

Explain

• Like 1

Wait till next season to find out... I hope all the A-list is healthy for SX,,, need to get through MX first :)

19 minutes ago, ah665 said:

Explain

Explain what?

Safe to say Webb wasnt really considered a threat to win the championship coming into SX this year. His improvement in results is unbelievably huge, compared to the results he had last season. And then he hasnt been injured or missed any rounds. He has so far beat the odds big time with the results hes had. Its hard believe that he has had a better season than Marv not to mention the other competition.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, KableXL said:

Wait till next season to find out... I hope all the A-list is healthy for SX,,, need to get through MX first :)

Yeah MX should be good!

1 minute ago, ah665 said:

Explain

Not my fight but I can throw out few examples of how he has been lucky. We can start with the fact that MM, ET and JA all came into the season injured and coop was healthy. Then we have Ken and Eli, who are IMO, the most talented two riders in the US, have ridden worse than they ever have since entering the class. Or how about when Coop was taken out by Allessi, the race was rad flagged and restarted...or how about not getting penalized when he cut the track and gained an advantage by jumping in front of the rider in front of him...or not getting penalized when he was off the track in the opposite lane and rode in the wrong direction and even jumped a jump in the wrong direction to get back to the right lane. Oh, let not forget that the guy in second place in the points is on a piece of shit that has mechanical issues quite regularly. I'm sure I'm missing a few. 

Coops he's done a good job at staying consistent and turned his career around but it's not like he done anything spectacular. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TDW said:

Explain what?

Safe to say Webb wasnt really considered a threat to win the championship coming into SX this year. His improvement in results is unbelievably huge, compared to the results he had last season. And then he hasnt been injured or missed any rounds. He has so far beat the odds big time with the results hes had. Its hard believe that he has had a better season than Marv not to mention the other competition.

None of that sounds like luck or the planets aligning though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, indy rider said:

Not my fight but I can throw out few examples of how he has been lucky. We can start with the fact that MM, ET and JA all came into the season injured and coop was healthy. Then we have Ken and Eli, who are IMO, the most talented two riders in the US, have ridden worse than they ever have since entering the class. Or how about when Coop was taken out by Allessi, the race was rad flagged and restarted...or how about not getting penalized when he cut the track and gained an advantage by jumping in front of the rider in front of him...or not getting penalized when he was off the track in the opposite lane and rode in the wrong direction and even jumped a jump in the wrong direction to get back to the right lane. Oh, let not forget that the guy in second place in the points is on a piece of shit that has mechanical issues quite regularly. I'm sure I'm missing a few. 

Coops he's done a good job at staying consistent and turned his career around but it's not like he done anything spectacular. 

Webb is banged up right now too. Not an excuse. He has put himself in position to win and limited his mistakes. Even his bad nights, he does what he needs to. That is ho you win a title. Sure sometimes you get a break here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. He has played his hand perfectly, while having many nights were no one had anything for him. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ah665 said:

None of that sounds like luck or the planets aligning though.

We wont agree on that at all!

• Confused 1

Ok so lets go over the list

Anderson: Looked bad in the opening rounds and crashed himself out

MM: Plenty of self inflicted mistakes and many times beat by Webb straight up, in speed.

Tomac: Total headcase, can not manage his bad days. Can't get a start on 50% of his gates and many times looks disinterested (MM pass at the finish line, for example)

KR: Fast usually but Webb reeled him in on 1 of his best nights and had an unfortunate crash on his best night. Other nights he was a total non factor and didn't even sniff the front.

Everyone else has had their ups and down and not enough of a factor to really be in contention. Webb on the other hand gets a good start almost every gate. He has reeled in the top guys on a consistent basis, made limited mistakes and salvaged points on nights were someone else had his number. That ain't luck boys, that racing to win a Championship. So yeah we don't have to agree on that but I'm pretty convinced that the evidence speaks for itself.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ah665 said:

Webb is banged up right now too. Not an excuse. He has put himself in position to win and limited his mistakes. Even his bad nights, he does what he needs to. That is ho you win a title. Sure sometimes you get a break here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. He has played his hand perfectly, while having many nights were no one had anything for him. 

Again for someone who was a rookie and struggling last year, to "played his hand perfectly" the next year, with a new team, its a huge jump and you dont think that takes more than just good riding? Yeah OK heres a write up from less than a year ago that doesnt have many promising things to say about him.

https://racerxonline.com/2018/08/23/insight-wondering-about-webb

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, TDW said:

Again for someone who was a rookie and struggling last year, to "played his hand perfectly" the next year, with a new team, its a huge jump and you dont think that takes more than just good riding? Yeah OK heres a write up from less than a year ago that doesnt have many promising things to say about him.

https://racerxonline.com/2018/08/23/insight-wondering-about-webb

This means nothing. We already know that he struggled on Yamaha and looks back to his old self on the new team (with the new bike). Doesn't take away the fact that he has rode a near perfect season so far and his competition has made their own bed, in 1 way or another.

• Like 2

Oh please..

27 minutes ago, TDW said:

Explain what?

Not true but they haven't been bad enough to keep him off the bike.  ?

24 minutes ago, indy rider said:

There is no doubt there has been some luck involved but that same thing can be said for several of the past SX champions.  There is no way to race the whole series and win the championship without some luck coming into play throughout the season.

As far as being penalized for jumping onto the tough block...if you watched the jump before he cross rutted and IMO did a great job of not taking out Tomac and himself.  No reason to be penalized.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, yzernie said:

As far as being penalized for jumping onto the tough block...if you watched the jump before he cross rutted and IMO did a great job of not taking out Tomac and himself.  No reason to be penalized.  

I agree that it wasn't on purpose and that he did great job at saving it. But I don't think the rules only apply if you meant to break them. He went off track while behind Eli, he re entered the track by jumping in front of Eli, and gained an advantage/position by doing so. He should have yielded the position back to Eli and passed him straight up a few turns later since he was obviously faster than Eli that day. Right?

• Like 1

Did he luck his way into winning 6 sx so far ? Don't be so silly

• Like 2