Pipe for a frankenbike

Was hoping someone could help me out. I have a 97 yz250 with an 02 motor. Previous owner had an sst pipe that he had to do some mods to in order to get it to fit. I'm looking to replace that pipe, any reason I couldn't run a pipe for a 97? Would it fit? Would it run fine? Thanks

48 minutes ago, nesta111 said:

Was hoping someone could help me out. I have a 97 yz250 with an 02 motor. Previous owner had an sst pipe that he had to do some mods to in order to get it to fit. I'm looking to replace that pipe, any reason I couldn't run a pipe for a 97? Would it fit? Would it run fine? Thanks

You gotta find out if the exhaust flange is the same dimension. I would order a 97 and an 02 and see which one would be easier to modify (if needed) and then return the one you don't use.

6 hours ago, nesta111 said:

The 1997 probably won't make the best power from that engine, but it's probably not going to be terrible. 
The big advantage with a 1997 pipe is that you get away with simply swapping the flange from your current pipe like Clutch44 mentioned.

The FMF SST isn't a good pipe to start with on the 1999 - 2019 YZ250 engine because the window of good jetting is so narrow with that pipe. 
It will be rich one day and detonate the next day on the same track, fuel and jetting.   Slight changes in temperature and altitude make a big difference with that pipe.

I currently have a FMF Factory Fatty (2005-2019 model) on my 250 and like the smooth linear power it makes with the 2002 porting.
For smooth mid/top power the DEP pipe is the best out there for the 1999 - 2019.   My preference of all pipes I've tried.
For an easier to ride more KTM like power curve try the Bills pipe for the 1999 - 2019.   Bills gives the YZ a bunch of torque in the mid-range and comes on really smooth.

Ok that's kind of what I was wondering. I bought a fatty for 02, I'll probably just mount as best I can. Thanks