Jump to content

why am I seeing more 4 strokes for sale over 2 strokes?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Just bored at work cruising through CL for KTMs and noticed for every 2 strokes out there, there is 6x as many 4 strokes. Wondering if people are favoring 4 strokes over 2 strokes now and days and why.  The more I ride my buddies 2 stroke, the more I want one by the day ha ha. It is not like KTM stopped making 2 strokes, so what is causing people to go for 4 strokes more than 2; at least in my eyes.

Edited by RideWithWill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You see a lot more 4s for sale cause the last 10+ years alot more 4s where sold then 2s.

And we all know the 2s diehards will not part with theirs.

That's my take.

I sold my last 2s and never looked back!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup. 10X as many 4S bikes have been bought over the last 20 years, so you'd expect to see 10X as many for sale. After about 15 years, many bike are simple parted out or otherwise disposed of due to neglect or cost to repair out weighs value. So while the 1970's and 1980's were filled with 2S bikes, those have gone to the crusher.

How many Chrysler LeBarons (other than Jon Voights) do you see for sale? compared to Kia Souls?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ah makes sense. Some reason thought 2s would be more popular due to its cost. Thought I was missing something here, although I own 4s the more I ride my buddies 2t the more I want one. Just too much fun and tbh they feel better on the trails for me

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2Ts have grown hugely in popularity the past couple years.  Try to find a deal on a used one nowadays, its almost impossible.  18 year old YZs or CRs for $3500.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

2Ts have grown hugely in popularity the past couple years.  Try to find a deal on a used one nowadays, its almost impossible.  18 year old YZs or CRs for $3500.

well thats good to hear! I thought they were losing popularity. I dont have a 2T....yet but its nice to see other 2T riders around. its just music to my ears when I am on the trails

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RideWithWill said:

well thats good to hear! I thought they were losing popularity. I dont have a 2T....yet but its nice to see other 2T riders around. its just music to my ears when I am on the trails

Get a weed whacker, its cheaper. :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RideWithWill said:

Just bored at work cruising through CL for KTMs and noticed for every 2 strokes out there, there is 6x as many 4 strokes. Wondering if people are favoring 4 strokes over 2 strokes now and days and why.  The more I ride my buddies 2 stroke, the more I want one by the day ha ha. It is not like KTM stopped making 2 strokes, so what is causing people to go for 4 strokes more than 2; at least in my eyes.

Bikes for sale are bikes people don't want. 

  • Like 5
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CDNSXV said:

Bikes for sale are bikes people don't want. 

Not necessarily.  With 2T prices through the roof there are lots of guys looking for a deal so they can refurbish the bike and make a huge profit.  There are several guys on this forum that do just that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Not necessarily.  With 2T prices through the roof there are lots of guys looking for a deal so they can refurbish the bike and make a huge profit.  There are several guys on this forum that do just that.

This kind of activity will always be a minority of the bikes being sold.  If loads of a certain type of bike are being sold, its gonna be because that sort of bike has fallen out of favour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i always get nervous looking on CL. too many times I see people just selling the bike stating its in good condition and they secretly know something is up with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, RideWithWill said:

i always get nervous looking on CL. too many times I see people just selling the bike stating its in good condition and they secretly know something is up with it. 

The CL I've had best luck with is Western Slope.  Seems the best deals I've found end up in Grand Junction.  Don't know why, but that's the way it has worked out for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the market demand was there for 2S, the manufacturers would meet that demand. It is not there. The dealers with stock, it is old and dusty. Most dealers will not stock for that reason. So if you want a new one, the dealer has to order it and you will usually pay a premium for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Around me a good 2 stroke will sell within a day.  A 4 stroke will sell within a week.  You may be missing the 2 strokes if your area is like mine .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RideWithWill said:

i always get nervous looking on CL. too many times I see people just selling the bike stating its in good condition and they secretly know something is up with it. 

"Adult owned and ridden"  and "fresh top end" is the first phrase in 80% of the listings I see haha.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, flyfisher117 said:

Around me a good 2 stroke will sell within a day.  A 4 stroke will sell within a week.  You may be missing the 2 strokes if your area is like mine .

ha ha not much 2 strokes, if there is, it is a pretty old one. little nervous dropping 2k on one finding out I have to do a top and bottom end and drop 2 grand more (if thats what a bottom and top end costs together). I mean im just looking on CL for fun not planning a purchase...pretty sure we all do that (i think :D)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, William1 said:

How many Chrysler LeBarons (other than Jon Voights) do you see for sale?

Yup sometimes I spell jerry with a “G” and an “I” ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, William1 said:

If the market demand was there for 2S, the manufacturers would meet that demand. It is not there. The dealers with stock, it is old and dusty. Most dealers will not stock for that reason. So if you want a new one, the dealer has to order it and you will usually pay a premium for it.

That depends on the local area terrain.  Maybe where you live its flat and open terrain so the yahoos can get away with riding clapped out CR250's.  Here, on the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains, we rarely see MX bikes in the woods and the staging areas are a sea of orange with 2-strokes outnumbering 4-strokes probably 4:1.   

 

 

9 hours ago, flyfisher117 said:

Around me a good 2 stroke will sell within a day.  A 4 stroke will sell within a week.  You may be missing the 2 strokes if your area is like mine .

Sold the wife's 14 yo TTR230 in just over 24 hours last week.  Of course I spent 3 weeks going through it to fix everything she broke or wore out and we put all new OEM bodywork and graphics on it as well so it looked great.  It wasn't perfect but it was prob the best sorted TTR on the market at that time.  Selling a bike is all about presentation and info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...