why am I seeing more 4 strokes for sale over 2 strokes?

Posted (edited)

Just bored at work cruising through CL for KTMs and noticed for every 2 strokes out there, there is 6x as many 4 strokes. Wondering if people are favoring 4 strokes over 2 strokes now and days and why.  The more I ride my buddies 2 stroke, the more I want one by the day ha ha. It is not like KTM stopped making 2 strokes, so what is causing people to go for 4 strokes more than 2; at least in my eyes.

Edited by RideWithWill

You see a lot more 4s for sale cause the last 10+ years alot more 4s where sold then 2s.

And we all know the 2s diehards will not part with theirs.

That's my take.

I sold my last 2s and never looked back!

• Like 2

Yup. 10X as many 4S bikes have been bought over the last 20 years, so you'd expect to see 10X as many for sale. After about 15 years, many bike are simple parted out or otherwise disposed of due to neglect or cost to repair out weighs value. So while the 1970's and 1980's were filled with 2S bikes, those have gone to the crusher.

How many Chrysler LeBarons (other than Jon Voights) do you see for sale? compared to Kia Souls?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ah makes sense. Some reason thought 2s would be more popular due to its cost. Thought I was missing something here, although I own 4s the more I ride my buddies 2t the more I want one. Just too much fun and tbh they feel better on the trails for me

• Like 2

2Ts have grown hugely in popularity the past couple years.  Try to find a deal on a used one nowadays, its almost impossible.  18 year old YZs or CRs for $3500.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

2Ts have grown hugely in popularity the past couple years.  Try to find a deal on a used one nowadays, its almost impossible.  18 year old YZs or CRs for $3500.

well thats good to hear! I thought they were losing popularity. I dont have a 2T....yet but its nice to see other 2T riders around. its just music to my ears when I am on the trails

2 minutes ago, RideWithWill said:

well thats good to hear! I thought they were losing popularity. I dont have a 2T....yet but its nice to see other 2T riders around. its just music to my ears when I am on the trails

Get a weed whacker, its cheaper. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RideWithWill said:

Just bored at work cruising through CL for KTMs and noticed for every 2 strokes out there, there is 6x as many 4 strokes. Wondering if people are favoring 4 strokes over 2 strokes now and days and why.  The more I ride my buddies 2 stroke, the more I want one by the day ha ha. It is not like KTM stopped making 2 strokes, so what is causing people to go for 4 strokes more than 2; at least in my eyes.

Bikes for sale are bikes people don't want. 

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

1 minute ago, CDNSXV said:

Bikes for sale are bikes people don't want. 

Not necessarily.  With 2T prices through the roof there are lots of guys looking for a deal so they can refurbish the bike and make a huge profit.  There are several guys on this forum that do just that.

3 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Not necessarily.  With 2T prices through the roof there are lots of guys looking for a deal so they can refurbish the bike and make a huge profit.  There are several guys on this forum that do just that.

This kind of activity will always be a minority of the bikes being sold.  If loads of a certain type of bike are being sold, its gonna be because that sort of bike has fallen out of favour.

i always get nervous looking on CL. too many times I see people just selling the bike stating its in good condition and they secretly know something is up with it. 

36 minutes ago, RideWithWill said:

i always get nervous looking on CL. too many times I see people just selling the bike stating its in good condition and they secretly know something is up with it. 

The CL I've had best luck with is Western Slope.  Seems the best deals I've found end up in Grand Junction.  Don't know why, but that's the way it has worked out for me.

If the market demand was there for 2S, the manufacturers would meet that demand. It is not there. The dealers with stock, it is old and dusty. Most dealers will not stock for that reason. So if you want a new one, the dealer has to order it and you will usually pay a premium for it.

Around me a good 2 stroke will sell within a day.  A 4 stroke will sell within a week.  You may be missing the 2 strokes if your area is like mine .

2 hours ago, RideWithWill said:

"Adult owned and ridden"  and "fresh top end" is the first phrase in 80% of the listings I see haha.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, flyfisher117 said:

Around me a good 2 stroke will sell within a day.  A 4 stroke will sell within a week.  You may be missing the 2 strokes if your area is like mine .

ha ha not much 2 strokes, if there is, it is a pretty old one. little nervous dropping 2k on one finding out I have to do a top and bottom end and drop 2 grand more (if thats what a bottom and top end costs together). I mean im just looking on CL for fun not planning a purchase...pretty sure we all do that (i think :D)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, William1 said:

How many Chrysler LeBarons (other than Jon Voights) do you see for sale?

Yup sometimes I spell jerry with a “G” and an “I” ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, William1 said:

If the market demand was there for 2S, the manufacturers would meet that demand. It is not there. The dealers with stock, it is old and dusty. Most dealers will not stock for that reason. So if you want a new one, the dealer has to order it and you will usually pay a premium for it.

That depends on the local area terrain.  Maybe where you live its flat and open terrain so the yahoos can get away with riding clapped out CR250's.  Here, on the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains, we rarely see MX bikes in the woods and the staging areas are a sea of orange with 2-strokes outnumbering 4-strokes probably 4:1.   

9 hours ago, flyfisher117 said:

Sold the wife's 14 yo TTR230 in just over 24 hours last week.  Of course I spent 3 weeks going through it to fix everything she broke or wore out and we put all new OEM bodywork and graphics on it as well so it looked great.  It wasn't perfect but it was prob the best sorted TTR on the market at that time.  Selling a bike is all about presentation and info.