Jump to content

Beta 125RR vs YZ125

Recommended Posts

This is not a what bike should I buy question. I am wondering how these two bikes compare.

I'm short and prefer a smaller/shorter bike.

The YZ has an almost 2" shorter wheelbase than a standard full size bike and the ones I rode seemed to handle the way I would expect a woods bike to handle. I did not like them on the MX track. The motor is fine and the suspension is a well known quantity that is easily made to work for what anybody needs.

I know little of the Beta except that the people that own them love them. The motor is supposed to be significantly better than the YZ, similar low end, better top end.  The suspension is supposed to be good out of the box but the Sachs forks do not have the best reputation. It also has a full size wheelbase.

Has anybody ridden both? How are they similar and how do they differ?

Edited by Zomby woof

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take magazine articles with a grain of salt. Everything is always the newest and the bestest. The YZ motor is very user friendly. I am sure the Beta possibly makes more power but I doubt the rideability is that much greater. For example the KTM 125 makes much more power but you have to be in race mode all the time and never fall off the pipe

The low seat height is a myth. My YZ125 is one of the tallest bikes I have ever had. Might have to do with the fact it is so light that with the spring needed for my fat ass it has almost no static sag. But even stock it was at least as tall as my current YZ 450s.

Haven't ridden the Beta but my experience with Sachs suspension has not been good. Maybe they have improved. The YZ has THE best suspension coupled with light weight it is magic. For off road it is a easy shim shuffle for whatever you need. The SSS is very versatile.

The Beta is nice with the off road goodies already there. Looks like a nice bike. Beta seems to have a pretty solid rep the last few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This forum is BRUTAL. I guess the mods don't actually read the threads.

I specifically posted this as the first line so it WOULD NOT GET MOVED :smashpc:

This is not a what bike should I buy question. I am wondering how these two bikes compare.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Zomby woof said:

This forum is BRUTAL. I guess the mods don't actually read the threads.

I specifically posted this as the first line so it WOULD NOT GET MOVED :smashpc:

This is not a what bike should I buy question. I am wondering how these two bikes compare.

 

FYI, you do not own a thread. TT does. Your question IS very much about 'what bike'. General is about tires. Bars. Helmets Spoke skins.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks mod for killing another thread on me. You really need to dial back the moderation a bit.

Because I've heard these bikes compared to each other by people who have actually ridden them I was really trying to find out why.  I have no intention of buying a 125RR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 7:35 AM, Zomby woof said:

This is not a what bike should I buy question. I am wondering how these two bikes compare.

I'm short and prefer a smaller/shorter bike.

The YZ has an almost 2" shorter wheelbase than a standard full size bike and the ones I rode seemed to handle the way I would expect a woods bike to handle. I did not like them on the MX track. The motor is fine and the suspension is a well known quantity that is easily made to work for what anybody needs.

I know little of the Beta except that the people that own them love them. The motor is supposed to be significantly better than the YZ, similar low end, better top end.  The suspension is supposed to be good out of the box but the Sachs forks do not have the best reputation. It also has a full size wheelbase.

Has anybody ridden both? How are they similar and how do they differ?

I've ridden both, and I don't know anyone who would say the YZ was anything less then excellent. If you didn't like a YZ 125 on the track (you are probably the only person to say that), you sure as heck won't like the Beta 125 on the track as it's not even designed for that application. Not sure what relevance that really plays in the whole discussion either? The YZ can adapt easily to any offroad application.  Simply add a IMS ZipTy spec tank on the YZ and you're golden. 

The Beta doesn't have more torque, nor does it rev any farther either. And it's far far from being significantly better too. Only two real advantages the Beta has is e-start (which you have to add on) and lighting capabilities. 

Overall these are still small bore motorcycles, there is not alot of room to make big improvements. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just gonna chime in and say ktm 150xcw is &%$#@!ing incredible. its way faster tan any 125 ive owned or borrowed. not even close. that said I think if I went beta 200rr id been perfectly happy. might want to go that route, your more likely to say "I love it but I wish I had a little more" than you would ever think "I love it but I wish I had a little less"

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 10:22 AM, Zomby woof said:

This forum is BRUTAL. I guess the mods don't actually read the threads.

I specifically posted this as the first line so it WOULD NOT GET MOVED :smashpc:

This is not a what bike should I buy question. I am wondering how these two bikes compare.

 

I’m confused. You’ve ridden the yz125 but not the beta 125rr - yet you say that you won’t buy the beta 125rr. What’s the point of this comparison? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, shrubitup said:

 What’s the point of this comparison? 

That was essentially what I was asking as well, though in editing the question I didn't do a very good job of it. I have seen the two bikes compared to each other a number of times. I'm familiar with one but not the other. I wondered what were the similarities that prompted that comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Zomby woof said:

That was essentially what I was asking as well, though in editing the question I didn't do a very good job of it. I have seen the two bikes compared to each other a number of times. I'm familiar with one but not the other. I wondered what were the similarities that prompted that comparison.

@Cullins has ridden the beta 125RR quite a bit; hopefully he can add info. 

Reason these are compared is because so few 125s are still sold. 

Edited by shrubitup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

@Cullins has ridden the beta 125RR quite a bit; hopefully he can add info. 

Reason these are compared is because so few 125s are still sold. 

Can’t add too much to what HANS said, pretty much agree. YZ 125’s are excellent bikes. Easy to ride (for a 125) and handle great. 

The Beta’s power is pretty comparable. Which is saying a lot for the Beta because the YZ is so good. Hard to say exactly the small differences since it was like a year between riding the YZ and Beta. 

Beta is definitely a lot shorter and already setup with the off-road goodies so that’s nice  

If I where racing the 125 class I would be happy with either. If I was looking for a small bore 2t it would be the 200 Beta all day.  Same chassis as the 125 yet way wider power band. 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cullins said:

Can’t add too much to what HANS said, pretty much agree. YZ 125’s are excellent bikes. Easy to ride (for a 125) and handle great. 

The Beta’s power is pretty comparable. Which is saying a lot for the Beta because the YZ is so good. Hard to say exactly the small differences since it was like a year between riding the YZ and Beta. 

Beta is definitely a lot shorter and already setup with the off-road goodies so that’s nice  

If I where racing the 125 class I would be happy with either. If I was looking for a small bore 2t it would be the 200 Beta all day.  Same chassis as the 125 yet way wider power band. 

Thanks for the info.

FYI, the YZ is actually the shorter of the two bikes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zomby woof said:

Thanks for the info.

FYI, the YZ is actually the shorter of the two bikes

Not sure where you’ve seen that info, but the YZ is definitely taller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mistake.

We're talking about different dimensions. I mentioned wheelbase earlier, I thought that's what you meant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...