MIxr650r

Flatlander from MI relocating to Castle Rock Colorado. Looking for riding friends.

Coming out 4/18 - 4/25 to look at neighborhoods and my old lady has a couple interviews.

Then coming back again for the last 2-3 weeks in July. I’ll have the bikes with me on this visit.

Probably will be living there by September depending on the kids and their school situations.

Any input from local riders and/or clubs would be greatly appreciated.

Looking to ride in the mountains, easy stuff to start like Jeep trails etc.

I travel to Colorado and Wyoming 3-4 times a year to snowmobile, and have been to a few spots but never here ridden my plated KTM out there.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MIxr650r said:

Coming out 4/18 - 4/25 to look at neighborhoods and my old lady has a couple interviews.

Then coming back again for the last 2-3 weeks in July. I’ll have the bikes with me on this visit.

Probably will be living there by September depending on the kids and their school situations.

I travel to Colorado and Wyoming 3-4 times a year to snowmobile, and have been to a few spots but never here ridden my plated KTM out there.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Aaron, shoot a pm to @Freemotion I'm sure he's be willing to point you in the right direction. Don't worry, not everyone in the Denver metro treats fellow riders like crap. I lived there a few years and met a nice bunch of quite welcoming riders. Sorry to have left, but life is full of decisions that take you places you didn't plan.

Good luck with your pending move!

• Like 2

As noted by automagp68's eloquent reply,  many CO 'natives', or anyone who has spent a significant amount of time here, are very much against anyone else moving into the State.  Reasons vary, but essentially higher prices, traffic, etc are chief among them.  I, however, am not one of those people and want to welcome you.  My lack of disdain is probably because I'm one of you;  having relocated from IA to CO almost 7 years ago.  Its a great State, plenty of riding opportunities on single track and Jeep trails.  I'm north of Denver in Frederick but would be happy to ride with you and show you around.  Rampart Range, Penrose, Eagle Rock, Saran Wrap are just a few of the riding areas/Jeep trails nearby to you.

You'll no doubt find housing to be expensive, but if you can make it work, this is the place to be.  Good luck with your plans.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2

49 minutes ago, automagp68 said:

really tired of this crap

Castle rock is getting destroyed 

NO Vacancy 

better get use to it...or move.

• Like 2

I respect both of your opinions and your right, it is bad form to treat potentially new riding buddies like crap but you have to look at it from our point of view. 

Colorado has one of the highest population growths in the country. Castle Rock SPECIFICALLY where i live is EXPLODING.

There are 5 major builders here buying every piece of what used to be grass and building massive apartment complexes and half million dollar 1800 sqft starter homes. 

My taxes are insane. My fees and taxes to register my car are thousands of dollars. Every type of insurance is sky high because they are milking people. People who move here cant even be bothered to get Colorado plates on their vehicles and run around on out of state plates illegally (after 60 days) without a care in the world because they cant even afford the Colorado fee's. Castle rock was a quite town with mountain views and now resembles down town San Francisco. Takes me 20 minutes to drive 2 miles to my buddies place. There used to be a horse pasture right by my house with a white capped mountain background. NOT ANYMORE. Houses and more houses and more apartments and more Starbucks and more bullshit. 

Everyone is so quick to be pissed that we dont want anymore people in Colorado but they never stop to think about why we are or how they might feel if it was happening in their backyard. Our roads are falling apart, the government couldn't care less. all they see is more tax revenue for big administrative bonuses. Yes Colorado is beautiful but for how long? Its going down hill fast. 

I hope you have deep deep pockets. Couples making 200k a year are poor here just an FYI. 

Welcome to what used to be beautiful Colorado i guess

• Like 1

@JFjeld just needs to give it a few more years and will be crowding onto the 'native' bandwagon.  My only hope is that you don't bring the same ideas/politics as has (in my opinion) ruined a bunch of other places and seems to be spreading here in CO as we get more outsiders.  I am guessing by your avatar that you are going to be like other old school Coloradans...which I would summarize as live and let live, stay the h*ll out of my business, and don't tell me what to do.

For the OP, I suggest you take a look at www.staythetrail.org and then go to the Trail Maps tab.  You will find that the Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) that are published by the National Forest Service are the golden source for where you can ride OHVs.  Also since you are plated, you will find that Colorado literally has thousands of forest service roads (FSRs) where you can ride.  In a lot of the more remote places in CO, you can ride any of these FSRs with just an OHV sticker.  In the more crowded areas, many of the cities/counties are requiring a plate to run on some of the forest service roads.

Doesnt sound like it is possible since your wife is interviewing for jobs in what sounds like Denver Metro, but if possible, you might look at some of the smaller cities/towns in the mountains or western slope.  Good luck.

• Helpful 1

Just now, Hammy-56 said:

better get use to it...or move.

Would you say better get used to it if some law maker said you couldn't ride your dirtbike anymore? No..... i thought not

You would be up in arms trying to prevent it from happening. well, there are those of us that feel the same way about Colorado population explosion. 

We wont "get used to it" we will do what we can (which may not be much) to try and protect our towns and our state from turning into California 

55 minutes ago, MIxr650r said:

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

*yawn*

I live in CR.  I'm a CO Native.  I ride dirt bikes. Hit me up I'll give you a tour AND a beer B)

:ride:

• Like 7
  • Helpful 2

Thank you for all of the replies.

We’re Going though a huge growth spurt here too in south west Oakland County (MI) where I live in horse country, so I get it.

But I’m glad to report I have thick skin. Lol. The cry babies are wasting their breath. One of the main reasons I ride is to escape all of the politics and BS. I like meeting fellow riders that are able to leave all that crap at the trailer and help each other out. Chances are I wouldn’t have enjoyed riding with those negative Nancy’s anyways, but I wish them the best of luck.

I have 3 young daughters I’m transitioning to 2 wheel riding this year and am super excited to do it in such a beautiful state.

Thank you everyone for all of the input. I’m following up on it now.

• Like 3

I suppose you could consider me negative on the current situation in Colorado. However, one thing i am not negative about is riding and meeting new riding folk. 

I am doing my best to separate my opinions and feelings on the Colorado growth explosion and the network of inbound riders. There sure is plenty of ridding to go around just maybe not housing haha. 

Obviously i dont always succeed at the separation. What you are after i think others have already demonstrated on this board. There are lots of good riding friends and nice people in the area to be had and although i may be cynical at times I'm also one of them. The only thing i have against you right now is that stupid orange bike. 😂

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone.

No worries on anything.

I too am guilty of hating the urban sprawl and the folks it sometimes brings, but I promise, we are one of the good guys.

I should have clarified, we’re not actually moving to CR, it’s a little too much city for us, but probably closer to Monument or Black Forest.

My old lady will be working in CS and we want to be south of the Palmer Divide.

We have friends that just made the move last month to the north CS area. He rides too and is a trauma surgeon. So he’s nice to have around when you overshoot that turn. Lol.

We will be arriving Wednesday night.

Staying until next Tuesday.

Let me know if anyone’s up for a brew or two

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Moved out here 12yrs ago from MI. Shoot me a PM with some questions and happy to get back with you.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MIxr650r said:

Thank you for all of the replies.

We’re Going though a huge growth spurt here too in south west Oakland County (MI) where I live in horse country, so I get it.

But I’m glad to report I have thick skin. Lol. The cry babies are wasting their breath. One of the main reasons I ride is to escape all of the politics and BS. I like meeting fellow riders that are able to leave all that crap at the trailer and help each other out. Chances are I wouldn’t have enjoyed riding with those negative Nancy’s anyways, but I wish them the best of luck.

I have 3 young daughters I’m transitioning to 2 wheel riding this year and am super excited to do it in such a beautiful state.

Thank you everyone for all of the input. I’m following up on it now.

I raised two riding daughters and the wife rides as well. When you get settled in, let's twist a grip. Your chosen location for housing puts you close to a lot of options. 

1638445301_familyofbetas.jpg.ae7918425dad2c93a547733b4a36334c.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, redhurricane said:

I raised two riding daughters and the wife rides as well. When you get settled in, let's twist a grip. Your chosen location for housing puts you close to a lot of options. 

Look at all those Beta's! Wonderful! My wife is on an xtrainer also

• Like 1

Just moved here myself from the Third World Shithole know as South Florida.  Came out to help my friend open a gunstore.  White flight is happening all over the country.  Places like Colorado, Texas, Wyoming, etc. are popular relocation areas.  It will never get better, only worse.  Only being here a little over a month.  I can see all of the development going on.  I can see where beautiful grasslands, valleys and mountain sides are being excavated for housing and commerical use.  That's what happened to South Florida.  In Broward County, where I lived.  You can't even see the ocean from Hwy A1A which is only a few hundred feet from the shoreline.  It's a shame.  But inevitable. 

That’s awesome!!

Thank you!

Colorado has LESS people than SE Michigan!

My taxes are Less than half of what you pay in Michigan!

Welcome beautiful Colorado

X2