New XR400 owner

I just picked up this project:

20190413_083126_zpsvnilv5uc.jpg

It's an 01 XR400, stock other than the FMF silencer and a dual sport/street legal kit.  Currently not running but hoping to resolve that soon!  The next big step is getting the buggered up and very stuck drain plug out of the frame.  The carb on this thing is unlike anything I've ever seen or worked on and I'm not so sure there aren't some jets missing and other little issues with the carb.

• Like 1

The original owner should be open hand slapped for letting that poor thing get in that condition. Do us proud and breathe life back into that big pig. A new bike sure is tempting until I pop mine off on the second kick and remember why I “adopted” my 02 XR4 from its neglectful owner.

• Like 3

All in all it's in decent shape, just needs some TLC.  The person I bought it from admitted he wasn't very mechanically minded at least.  One nice bonus I discovered yesterday is someone has already installed the Mikuni TM36 pumper carb (hence my confusion when I started looking at threads about the carb!) Hoping to sort out the dual sport kit wiring and use this as a commuter.

13 hours ago, Jack the Dogg said:

Nice bike! Kid looks excited.

That boy is such a motorhead it's ridiculous.  Anything and everything with tires or a motor he loves.  He got super excited when he saw me pull in the driveway with it, then got really upset because his mom told him I might fix it and sell it.  I think that means I'm basically obligated to keep it!

On 4/18/2019 at 8:59 AM, cowboyona426 said:

That boy is such a motorhead it's ridiculous.  Anything and everything with tires or a motor he loves.  He got super excited when he saw me pull in the driveway with it, then got really upset because his mom told him I might fix it and sell it.  I think that means I'm basically obligated to keep it!

Awesome!!! That's exactly the way a young boy's supposed to be! He'll have a blast helping you work on it,

I looked at my XR4 for a while in the shop., and all the stuff my buddies putting on his right now. Had to do some serious tool organizing before I can really tear into mine. I mad a nice little Bike only space to tear it apart!. Still waiting on a few parts.

Wish I had a mikuni carb. Good luck!

Well this thing has turned into quite the adventure... the street legal wiring is absolutely atrocious, there was a missing bolt to mount the pipe, missing bolts in the sidepanels, missing bolt in the airbox, missing bolt in the rocker cover, drain plug in the frame was SUPER stuck (finally got that with some help from a fellow TT'er), Clutch lever pivot bolt was nearly worn in half, swingarm bolt was in backwards with buggered up threads and the nut was barely on there (just thankful it wasn't stuck), air filter is incredibly over oiled... and it's still not running but at least I've picked away at the little things.  I think/hope the no start or run is carb related.

On 4/18/2019 at 7:59 AM, cowboyona426 said:

That boy is such a motorhead it's ridiculous.  Anything and everything with tires or a motor he loves.  

Count your good fortune, not every kid is inclined towards the grease and wheels.  

On 6/15/2019 at 7:45 PM, MicahD said:

Count your good fortune, not every kid is inclined towards the grease and wheels.  

Definitely not complaining.  His only problem right now is he's too young and his attention span is about 5 minutes long :D

31 minutes ago, cowboyona426 said:

His only problem right now is he's too young and his attention span is about 5 minutes long 

I know you didn't ask for advice, but as a dad of a 16 year old only just now showing a bit of interest in something to do with using his hands I can offer this:  Be present when his attention is on and don't hold it against him when it evaporates.  These are critical years where he'll either learn that working on a bike with Dad is fun and rewarding, or a stressful time full of demands.  Attention will improve, attitude is set early and rarely changes!

• Like 2