Wastate

Tip, don't buy a motorcross bike for trail riding!

For the newer tiders.

There is a reason mx bikes are on sale used cheaper, on average they 

don't make good trail bikes without a lot of mods.  Gearing made for mx, suspension

too stiff for trails, flywheel too light, engine not as smooth and less lower end grunt.

If you want to trail ride get a enduro or trail riding bike. It is possible to convert 

a mx bike for trails, but leave that for the guys who know what they are doing and go very

fast.  It  is doubtful one can save money converting a mx bike for trail riding.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Wastate said:

For the newer tiders.

don't make good trail bikes without a lot of mods.  Gearing made for mx, suspension

too stiff for trails, flywheel too light, engine not as smooth and less lower end grunt.

If you want to trail ride get a enduro or trail riding bike. It is possible to convert 

a mx bike for trails, but leave that for the guys who know what they are doing and go very

fast.  It  is doubtful one can save money converting a mx bike for trail riding.

Preaching to the choir.  this subforum is littered with thread after thread of people advising posters the same thing.  Some listen.  Some don't.  The money factor (lower price) drives most of this behavior.  And, for many years, there weren't that many options.  I rode an MX bike for decades out here in Colorado and still had lots of fun, but once I experienced an offroad designed bike I wondered what took me so long to switch.  It was mainly money and lack of knowledge (not knowing what i was missing) that kept me from doing it.

Something else to consider is where they are riding.  In the Rocky Mountain West  and PNW where you are located, many of the advantages of offroad/enduro bikes are more obvious on steeper, rockier terrain.  When you get to the midwest and other flatter places, you may not get as much benefit from these offroad traits.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 2

55 minutes ago, Wastate said:

It  is doubtful one can save money converting a mx bike for trail riding.

and the results still suck if you actually ride motorcycle trails (not quad or jeep "trails").

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I've owned 3 WR125's and at one time both a WR and CR125 (Husky's) at the same time.

They're not identical but share most components. I preferred the CR by a large margin in the woods and the general recommendation on the Husky forum was, buy a CR because everybody that buys a WR just ends up trying to convert it to a CR.

I've owned a handful of other woods bikes as well as a last model RM125 which was (IMO) awful in the woods. Some are better than others, but my personal preference for the woods is still a 125 MX bike. You just have to buy the right one.

Your mileage may vary.

Edited by Zomby woof
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

always does; nobody rides the exact same terrain. Everybody else's woods are harder than the next guy's. ?

Your woods don't count Bushwhacker!!! You ride stuff that mountain goats won't go near!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wastate said:

A YZ250 two stroke does pretty good in the woods.  

I agree about four stroke MX bikes though.

• Like 6

Couldn’t agree less with this article. 

Some folks can’t/won’t spend more than $3k for a bike. If that’s a race bike then oh well. You think a crf or yz can’t do well on trails? I guess you suck at throttle and clutch control. 

I just bought my first “trial” bike. 300rr race beta. Is it nice? It’s great! But I can wipe most trail bike owners on my old race bikes. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Very true. I don't think I've ever, as in not once, seen someone even attempt the tech mountain singletrack on a motorcross bike. Yes, if you're riding wide fairly flat trails where the hardest hill climb is 3rd gear, you're probably fine on a MX bike, but on the tech/Rocky/rooty singletrack where the trail is as wide as your tire, and around blind corners you have hard punchy 1st/2nd gear hillclimbs, it doesn't work. Heck I have a Enduro bike and sometimes I think if I ran over 6psi in my rear tire I would make it. But I'm still a very intermediate level rider, so maybe if you have significant off-road experience it might work, but for 99% of riders probably not.

• Like 2

Some folks can’t/won’t spend more than $3k for a bike. If that’s a race bike then oh well. You think a crf or yz can’t do well on trails? I guess you suck at throttle and clutch control. 
I just bought my first “trial” bike. 300rr race beta. Is it nice? It’s great! But I can wipe most trail bike owners on my old race bikes. 
It ALL depends on what trails you ride.
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Zomby woof said:

Apparently I ride bunny trails

Maybe not

A riding friend has a late CR125 with a Reckluse and he just scampers up thru mountain switchbacks and stair steps. :ride:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ew83 said:
40 minutes ago, Rooster73 said:

Read more  

It ALL depends on what trails you ride.

Anything you ride on. Again clutch skills are huge. This thread sounds like you can’t use a Eagle claw on this river. Has to be a sage. Lol!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very true. I don't think I've ever, as in not once, seen someone even attempt the tech mountain singletrack on a motorcross bike. Yes, if you're riding wide fairly flat trails where the hardest hill climb is 3rd gear, you're probably fine on a MX bike, but on the tech/Rocky/rooty singletrack where the trail is as wide as your tire, and around blind corners you have hard punchy 1st/2nd gear hillclimbs, it doesn't work. Heck I have a Enduro bike and sometimes I think if I ran over 6psi in my rear tire I would make it. But I'm still a very intermediate level rider, so maybe if you have significant off-road experience it might work, but for 99% of riders probably not.
Ive attempted it. The learning curve is stupid steep though. Can a really great rider make it work, yeah. Do lots of newbs fail to continue in the sport because they tried to ride an mx bike in tech? Yes. That's why the guys who regularly answer these threads do their best to steer newer riders into a machine they will have some success with. We want to see folks have fun, and most of us know that a noob on a YZ250 riding steep, slippery stuff is not going to have much fun.
  • Like 4
  • Helpful 2

Anything you ride on. Again clutch skills are huge. This thread sounds like you can’t use a Eagle claw on this river. Has to be a sage. Lol!!!!!!
I think you presume much. Maybe you're the exception, good for you. I hope you have a giant stack of trophies. Ive know a lot of guys who thought they were fast until they went racing.
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Ew83 said:

on the tech/Rocky/rooty singletrack where the trail is as wide as your tire, and around blind corners you have hard punchy 1st/2nd gear hillclimbs, it doesn't work. 

I rode 125s and still ride a 250 2T MX bike on that.  The '06 YZ250 does much better obviously.  It worked awesome when I was on my game but now that I'm fat and slow, a 300 XC is easier because it doesn't hit as hard.

But the 300 XC doesn't climb gnarly, rocky, rutted, root infested hills any better than the YZ does.  It just takes less effort on the 300 XC.  I don't get worn out as quickly.  

But I can easily put a few mods on the 300 XC that will make it a fire breathing dragon.  Then the ONLY difference between the two bikes will be e-start and a kick stand.

3 hours ago, Wastate said:

For the newer tiders.

#fakenews

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, HevyRotashunz said:

I hope you have a giant stack of trophies. Ive know a lot of guys who thought they were fast until they went racing.

That's why I don't race.  I'm even faster than I think I am, according to me.  And you can't prove otherwise!  :p

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, HevyRotashunz said:
1 hour ago, Rooster73 said:

Read more  

I think you presume much. Maybe you're the exception, good for you. I hope you have a giant stack of trophies. Ive know a lot of guys who thought they were fast until they went racing.

I may.  But dirt biking is something that takes time and money. Some folks just die with what they have. Never once did I complain when riding a mx bike on the nasty hills and 2mph stuff. I just made it work. 

Do I have trophies? No! I’ve just ridden for 40 years. I’ve seen fads also. 2t then 4t. This is better than that.

just having a bike to burn some stress off is key I believe. 

• Like 10