Tip, don't buy a motorcross bike for trail riding!

Harescramble starting lines across the U.S.A are literally packed with mx bikes. Not sure how many riders have experienced west virginia harescrambles but they are very similar to erzburg!.....on an amateur level of course[emoji1787]. Biggest seller is the yz250, i think people grab the 250x if there isnt any yz250s in stock...which is usually a back order. Love the ktms, but an mx bike does just fine with gearing and a 300 dollar tusk 18 inch rear wheel.

• Like 2

There’s a big difference between Harescramble racing and trail riding. 

Also, best extreme enduro riders in the world are on xc-w and other wide ratio counterparts. Not yz450’s

GNCC gets plenty gnarly but speed is the game still. 

• Like 1

There’s a big difference between Harescramble racing and trail riding. 

Also, best extreme enduro riders in the world are on xc-w and other wide ratio counterparts. Not yz450’s

GNCC gets plenty gnarly but speed is the game still. 

• Like 1

This is a great thread. I'm reading at work and made enough to buy a set of tires. Maybe I read as slow as I ride. I ride a four stroke Enduro or 2stroke mx bike in the woods. Just depends on my mood that day. But for the gnarly holy shit no tracking a two stroke trials bike can't be beat. Haha.

• Like 2

Tip: 2 stroke MX bikes make great trail bikes.

My last three trail bikes have been MX 250s, each better than the previous, all with stock suspension. My current bike is so good I've had no reason to get a new bike, enduro or MX.

Tip: There are thousands of hours of videos on YouTube showing people enjoying trails on their MX bikes.

Here's one of mine, enjoying the same trails as enduro bikes and other MX bikes.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BushPig said:

One of the guys in our riding group has ridden stateside and rode GNCC when he lived there for work.

He said it was slightly wider trails taken very, very fast. He's a quick rider.

JFYI. Dan Milner is a local here ?. Wouldn't say he's a part of our riding group. He does practice on a mates track though lol.
Our trail pace obviously wouldn't be the same as a GNCC, but it is the same as our sprint/XC race pace. Our trail riding is just race practice.

I got an email from Sutto's yesterday. Pretty much saying they're banning sports quads in Aus. Did you get it as well?

Copy and paste

#BEAT THE BAN

On the 11th October 2019 the Australian Government announced drastic changes to ATV/quad bike sales in Australia. Essentially the changes require that within 12 months ATV’s will be subject to passing a stability test, and within 24 months meet minimum stability requirements as well as be fitted with an operator protection device (OPD) or rollover protection system(ROPS). These changes are as a result of the number of injuries and deaths reported from ATV incidents (128 deaths since 2011).

Whilst every reasonable person would be happy to see a reduction in accidental deaths (whether it be the 77 people killed through horse accidents since 2008, or the 248 people killed on a motorcycle in 2016 alone), Polaris and the other ATV manufacturers who sell in Australia have come to the conclusion that these changes will NOT make riders safer, and could in fact cause further injury. This is because the safety claims of the OPDs are not supported by reliable science and the devices are not subject to a design standard.

Therefore after the 11th October 2021 new ATVs will no longer be sold in Australia as manufacturers do not support the move to fit OPD's as standard. As a retailer of these vehicles we are obviously unhappy with the recent developments, and our view of motorsport whether it be on the road, offroad or at the track is that calculated risks should be weighed up along with personal responsibility.

This outdoor lifestyle is our passion – and it is too often that we see access to these passions being impacted by those whom don’t share our passion. Therefore our new hashtag we will be using in all Polaris related posts on our socials is #BeatTheBan. We might not be able to change the law – but we sure can sell some ATVs before October 11 2021. And so we introduce our current #BeatTheBan ATV deals below!

Edited by Drop-Bear

4 hours ago, Windellmc said:

What makes a 2t so much better on trails than a 4t? The 250 2t is not known for having smooth easy to control power delivery. 

Older air cooled non power valved 2t's were pipey.

New generation 2t's are very linear in power delivery. 

• Like 1

Adjustable power valves completely change characteristics. And when the going is slow and lugging, 2t don’t stall like the mx 4t bikes that flame out. Every rotation of the crank is a fire on a 2t where it’s every other stroke on a 4t

• Like 2

Is that an MX bike?
Thats a 99 cr250. As he goes to the line there are only 2 xc or xcw type bikes. At the bigger races yz250s have dominated the line for years. Im not from there but raced there a few times and its a noticable thing. Nothing is flat, ever, and its silty dirt. Less weight is the game.

JFYI. Dan Milner is a local here :smirk:. Wouldn't say he's a part of our riding group. He does practice on a mates track though lol.
Our trail pace obviously wouldn't be the same as a GNCC, but it is the same as our sprint/XC race pace. Our trail riding is just race practice.
I got an email from Sutto's yesterday. Pretty much saying they're banning sports quads in Aus. Did you get it as well?
Copy and paste
#BEAT THE BAN

On the 11th October 2019 the Australian Government announced drastic changes to ATV/quad bike sales in Australia. Essentially the changes require that within 12 months ATV’s will be subject to passing a stability test, and within 24 months meet minimum stability requirements as well as be fitted with an operator protection device (OPD) or rollover protection system(ROPS). These changes are as a result of the number of injuries and deaths reported from ATV incidents (128 deaths since 2011).

Whilst every reasonable person would be happy to see a reduction in accidental deaths (whether it be the 77 people killed through horse accidents since 2008, or the 248 people killed on a motorcycle in 2016 alone), Polaris and the other ATV manufacturers who sell in Australia have come to the conclusion that these changes will NOT make riders safer, and could in fact cause further injury. This is because the safety claims of the OPDs are not supported by reliable science and the devices are not subject to a design standard.

Therefore after the 11th October 2021 new ATVs will no longer be sold in Australia as manufacturers do not support the move to fit OPD's as standard. As a retailer of these vehicles we are obviously unhappy with the recent developments, and our view of motorsport whether it be on the road, offroad or at the track is that calculated risks should be weighed up along with personal responsibility.

This outdoor lifestyle is our passion – and it is too often that we see access to these passions being impacted by those whom don’t share our passion. Therefore our new hashtag we will be using in all Polaris related posts on our socials is #BeatTheBan. We might not be able to change the law – but we sure can sell some ATVs before October 11 2021. And so we introduce our current #BeatTheBan ATV deals below!
That would make Americans turn arms against the government. The will of an imaginary government over the will of the people. Your working pays for a government that dictates things like this to have power over you? I love my country
  • Like 1