Boots with room for knee pads

I’ll make this quick. I didn’t wear my very nice Thor knee/shin pads during my most recent ride. Primarily because my Graeme SG10s don’t really accommodate then very well. Essentially so tight I can’t get them buckled.

Of course the inevitable happened and I went down when my front wheel slid out on some wet, slick, slippery Ga. red clay. End result, ER visit, stitches, etc. All could have been avoided had I been able to put my knee/shin guards on before setting out on the trails.

So my question: recommends and experiences with off-road boots that have enough room to allow for wearing knee/shin protectors. I don’t remember the model of my knee/shin guards but they are the hard-shell, hinged style that cover knee as well as have the shin guard which fits down inside the boot.

I wear sg10s with pod k8 knee braces and they fit perfectly. They to about 6 inches below my knee and into my boot.  Maybe look for a different set of knee guards?

• Like 3

I have Leatt dual axis knee guards that fit just fine in my SG10s.  Does the OP have particularly large calves?

• Like 3

I have Leatt dual axis knee guards that fit just fine in my SG10s.  Does the OP have particularly large calves?
That's what i wondered. I have chicken legs, there is room in my size 12 SG12s for a whole other leg.
  • Like 3

They're the Epic model.20190415_113219.jpeg.ca6d284682faa632995491ac57eb9f8d.jpeg

Thanks for the reply and details. I think I need to go try a pair and bring my guards with me for fitting.
  • Like 1

I think my boots have shrunk (hehe) over the years. I’ve worn the boots and knee/shin guards together in the past. I probably should re-evaluate the size of boot need more so than model.

I’ve put on a few pounds as the years go by. This is probably the primary issue... need to upsize.

I don’t know if they are available for your boots, but some brands/models have longer straps available for those with large calves.

• Like 2

This is a great topic for me. I'm currently searching for a pair for my son and he does have big calves at just under 22". Does anyone make mammoth size boots or can anyone measure their calve area in boot. 

I stopped in bike shop with no luck, sales guy said it's a pretty common problem now-a-days

• Like 1

I had to cut the lower strap off of my Leatt knee guards. That made all of the difference for me in my SG12s. 

• Like 1

I use the Leatt dual axis knee guards in my SG12's and they have room to spare. You should be able to adjust your Gaerne SG10 shin guard to make them able to accomodate a larger calf. 

• Like 1

I would call my calves average, but maybe they’re not. I adjusted my SG12’s wider and still had to cut the bottom buckle off of the leatt knee guards. There is no spare room.  Guess I’m just more super duper ripped than I thought!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Go to Home Depot & buy some good knee pads that have hard plastic knee cap plate.  You don’t really need the shin protection inside the boot.

• Like 1

Check your Gaerne boots. Mine have different mounting locations for the upper buckles. Also I’m sure you know you can adjust the actual straps in and out.

• Like 2