Easiest Place to tap 12v at the headlight cluster

I just installed my new JNS LED headlight.  Took all of 40 seconds to do.  For now I'm not using the extra LED strip in there because I don't know what to splice into to get switched 12v power.  I basically want it to where anytime the key is on, the LED strip gets power.  Which is how the low beams are anyways (flipping to high beams adds a bulb, the low beams stay on).

Can I just tap into the low beam light and have it power the LED strip as well?  Is there something better to tap into around the handlebar area?  I'm not great with bike wiring...

From looking at the wiring diagram it looks like the dark green wire that feeds the headlight would be the one to tap into...only thing I'm concerned about is whether or not pulling from the same wire as the low beams will make them more dim.  Again, not good with bike wiring.

Edited by chrisross

17 minutes ago, chrisross said:

I just installed my new JNS LED headlight.  Took all of 40 seconds to do.  For now I'm not using the extra LED strip in there because I don't know what to splice into to get switched 12v power.  I basically want it to where anytime the key is on, the LED strip gets power.  Which is how the low beams are anyways (flipping to high beams adds a bulb, the low beams stay on).

Can I just tap into the low beam light and have it power the LED strip as well?  Is there something better to tap into around the handlebar area?  I'm not great with bike wiring...

From looking at the wiring diagram it looks like the dark green wire that feeds the headlight would be the one to tap into...only thing I'm concerned about is whether or not pulling from the same wire as the low beams will make them more dim.  Again, not good with bike wiring.

You could always wire it to a second switch for "parking or work" light.

jns-led-hdlght-blk.jpg

This is Bryans drawing of the XRL

3 wires to the light..............

Wiring Diagram.png

Edited by EarthCruzn

24 minutes ago, EarthCruzn said:

How does the light do?

I see it for $120........... comes in black or chrome.

I don't do too much night riding.......... BUT if it does good.........better than adding lights.

I just installed it today.  I'll take it out tonight and see.  I went with the black.

I guess to fully clarify:  There's three different groups of bulbs in there: Hi Beam, low beams, and the light strip.  I want the latter 2 lights to behave identically (always on when the key is on).  Does that mean I should power them from the same factory wire running to the headlight, or should I grab another constant 12v from somewhere else on the bike?

1 minute ago, chrisross said:

I just installed it today.  I'll take it out tonight and see.  I went with the black.

I guess to fully clarify:  There's three different groups of bulbs in there: Hi Beam, low beams, and the light strip.  I want the latter 2 lights to behave identically (always on when the key is on).  Does that mean I should power them from the same factory wire running to the headlight, or should I grab another constant 12v from somewhere else on the bike?

Just go to the factory key fed low beam wire.

2 minutes ago, EarthCruzn said:

I guess its too late to take before and after pics.......

well at least after

Before and after pictures of what?  The headlight on the bike?  I took some...not sure how to get from my phone to here though.  Email them to myself I guess?

Really not much to look at though, just the bike with stock headlight, and bike with new headlight.  Not very exciting.

600LM lights were it in the day'...............  I mean shinning down the road at night.... post a pic of how they look shooting down a non-light dirt road.

127160475-S.jpg&key=34302ae11a663e390df4 Looking good on the bike is great,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, BUT you need to see

Edited by EarthCruzn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, chrisross said:

It seems as though you want the strip light to remain on no matter what beam position the headlight switch is in.  If so, then you don't want to wire it to the low beam wire as it will switch off when you choose high beam. 

If you want the strip light to always be on you'll want to get it's power from the blue/white wire.

Edited by Hollerhead
  • Like 1

The JNS has ample light on both low and high - similar to a standard auto. But not blazingly so as an auto with HID. Well worth the investment. A photo will only get you so much, as exposure times and viewing monitor will not be an accurate representation.