Looked through too many posts and saw no mention of the cause of my confusion. My 2019 RR-S manual on pp 31 details the rebound adjuster and preload on the same fork leg and compression adjuster alone on the the other leg. The Beta video and the AMP Sachs ZF discussion detail the opposite comp.. and preload  on one leg and rebound alone on the other. Just wondering which is correct.

Comp and preload adjuster is Right fork.

Rebound is left leg   Should be stamped on your caps have a look.

There should of been a supplement to the manual explaining the new forks. Dealer should of went over it.

Posted (edited)

I didn't get a supplement, dealer didn't mention this either.  Nothing on the caps indicating which is which that I could find.  The adjusters just have an arrow on 2 of the 'arms' with + and - presumably indicating increase/decrease.  

I'm not much of a suspension tweaker, stock spec is 12 clicks out for both so at least I'm not setup 'weird'.

Presume this is the video?  Says it's for RR.. possible different for RR-S?

Edited by braindead0

On 4/16/2019 at 11:22 PM, Jall opy said:

Comp and preload adjuster is Right fork.

Rebound is left leg   Should be stamped on your caps have a look.

Thanks, finally saw the C-P and R in the dished out area on the cap. I was wondering if I could ask  questions about the compression MV modification you detailed on another forum. I thought I would go ahead and do the same thing since the compression is harsh even after I adjusted the correct legs and I had the fork apart to change the springs. The MV stack is different than yours in my 18/06/2018 fork and there is no float. So I'm thinking I should just make the float  adjustment and test ride. Thanks for any help you might have.

How is  you comp stack different from mine?  

You said you changed springs also, What do you have in there now? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for getting back to me. Stacks from piston up.

J, 20x.1, 20x.1, 13x.1, 17x.1, 15x.1, 13x.1, 11x.35, 13x.5, 13x.5

D, 20x.1, 20x.1, 17x.1, 15x.1, 11x.35, 13x.1, 13x.1, 13x.5, 13x.5, 13x.5,  last 3 are a bronze color and the final 13's seem to be spacers that don't affect damping but would adjust float.

Comparing the the stacks yours looks like it would open quickly then more as  pressure increased and is 3 stage. Mine looks like it was assembled after Friday lunch break or is just a2 stage.

I weigh 244lb. ready to go and went to .52 kg/mm. fork spring. Sag measurement basically useless due to stiction 

Unrelated problem the bottom aluminum nut/bolt seems to be stripped (made and used the 3 slot tool, not impact driver) but the nut is still in the fork leg and still hard to turn I'll investigate further.

Curious, are you still satisfied with the float adjustment you made?

Edited by balld
  • Like 1

How is  you comp stack different from mine?  
You said you changed springs also, What do you have in there now? 
Jalopy what Forum did you post the std stacks on ?

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/showthread.php?s=90ef2550966aa78e89178cefa7ad1713&t=126804 and thanks for the simpler way to remove the BETA rear shock

On 4/28/2019 at 3:47 AM, balld said:

Curious, are you still satisfied with the float adjustment you made?

Yes I am still using it. 

I have had 2 new upper fork tubes supplied under warrantee. Anodizing worn inside at 1500kms. 

Sent the ZF tubes to Japan to get Kashima coated. 

Now the ZF forks are back in the bike again and no complaints from me.

That float shim modification I made is simple and easily reversible if you dont like it.

Posted (edited)

Jall opy,

Another question, did you put a spring on the float action adjustment to the MV? I put in .09mm float (only shims I had). From 0 to about 2",  smoothed out nicely then back to a very stout compression. I didn't see mentioned anywhere about what the clicker controlled. For what its worth, the clicker controls flow from a hole in the bottom of the damper rod to the 2 holes in the hex the MV comp. piston builds off of, and never completely stops flow. A work in progress.

Edited by balld

On 4/30/2019 at 8:42 AM, Jall opy said:

Yes I am still using it. 

I have had 2 new upper fork tubes supplied under warrantee. Anodizing worn inside at 1500kms. 

Sent the ZF tubes to Japan to get Kashima coated. 

Now the ZF forks are back in the bike again and no complaints from me.

That float shim modification I made is simple and easily reversible if you dont like it.

Why do you hate Opy?

8 hours ago, balld said:

Jall opy,

Another question, did you put a spring on the float action adjustment to the MV? I put in .09mm float (only shims I had). From 0 to about 2",  smoothed out nicely then back to a very stout compression. I didn't see mentioned anywhere about what the clicker controlled. For what its worth, the clicker controls flow from a hole in the bottom of the damper rod to the 2 holes in the hex the MV comp. piston builds off of, and never completely stops flow. A work in progress.

No spring added.

I didnt like how it was harsh on trail trash so I was looking to find a way to soften it a little.

Im just curious of how many other variations of shim stacks there are on the 4T ZF Sachs forks. 

Yours are different from mine.

I changed my comp. MV stack to match yours. The only difference is .09 float. The only thing that made sense in my stack was the 3 13mm x.5 shims. With 2 shims the stack had a tight .02mm float so the stack needed the third shim to get Sachs desired lock down.