Jump to content

Dual Sport Boot Recommendation

Recommended Posts

I ride with my riding pants outside my boot.   I am looking for comfortable riding boots.  My current typical MX style boots are just too stiff and uncomfortable for my dual sport riding (and off my bike).   I know its balance between protection, comfort and cost.

I am looking for riding boot recommendation that leans more to the comfort side (and being able to bend my ankle and walk easier) than the stiff MX style (full hard plastic) that I have now.

Thanks

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends what your dual sporting consists of.  If you're riding single track you probably really should be in a true dirt bike boot.   The trials boots are a little more flexible and have a treaded sole.  Those would probably be OK too.

If your dual sporting consists of gravel roads, two tracks, paved backroads, etc.  then I wear an Alpinestars Roam 2 WP (waterproof version) boot.  They go on and off much easier.  They are comfortable.  With a pant leg over the top of them, they really look kind of like a normal shoe/boot.  So I don't feel like the terminator going to a restaurant to eat in them.  I feel they provide adequate protection for mild riding situation but would never ride single track in them.  I'm sure other companies make similar category of boots.  

 

imagestream.aspx?I=2224577&W=1200&H=630&

 

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like my SIDI Discovery Rain's for street, including cross country, dirt, and dual sport. Walk-ability is good. 

Last winter after getting them re-soled and some stitching repaired.....

0131181603.jpg.55309471a9a0973f4f4ae3466211104c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forma Adventure boots...I have the low ones, which is plenty in my opinion, and I can add shin guards if needed. forma_adventure_boots_black.thumb.jpg.b70c036eb2aee83c138e9d3e065d9c44.jpg

  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What mx boots do you have now?  My mx boots are Alpinestars Tech 7's and they are very comfortable.  They have a hinge on both sides.  Only negative is the hinge squeaks when I walk.  I've tried on Gaerne SG12s and thought they were comfortable but a different fit.  Mx boots with hinges are more comfortable because they let your ankle bend although I wouldn't suggest the Tech 10s they are too stiff if you want comfort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forma Adventure Lows when riding my drz400s. For me, a good compromise between protection and off the bike comfort.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, GerGa said:

What mx boots do you have now?  My mx boots are Alpinestars Tech 7's and they are very comfortable.  They have a hinge on both sides.  Only negative is the hinge squeaks when I walk.  I've tried on Gaerne SG12s and thought they were comfortable but a different fit.  Mx boots with hinges are more comfortable because they let your ankle bend although I wouldn't suggest the Tech 10s they are too stiff if you want comfort.

Came here to say this. I ran the tech 7's when I had a dual sport as well. Other than the squeak when walking they were great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dirt Rider 12345 said:

Came here to say this. I ran the tech 7's when I had a dual sport as well. Other than the squeak when walking they were great. 

Right.  I wear mine on road rides for hours and they are always comfortable.

Edited by GerGa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bought alpinestars tech 7 enduro boot by far the best boot I've worn like everyone said they squeak and they do tried silicone spray seems to make it worse so I tried my maxima chain wax boom gone might have to re aply every once in a while but no more squeaking 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I been wearing a pair of Oxtar touring boots that I've had for several years. The TCX brand is similar. Looks like a lot of those type boots are side zipper entry these days. My old boots have the 2 buckle closures with velcro at the top.

When I rode the Blueridge Parkway several years ago, I stopped a few times to hike parts of the Appalachian Trail, as it crosses the Parkway several times. The boots were no hiking shoe, but they were no problem to hike in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forma's are very comfortable and offer good value in an Italian boot. Just pick your level of protection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it might be good early on to decide what kind of protection you need and what kind you dont

when I discovered my brand new fox comp X could be easily bent laterally in half and therefore had zero ankle protection I returned them and searched for something that did..

seems to me dual-sporting will have lots of situations where ankle protection will be an important thing to have. 

you can get a forma predator 2.0 with fantastic ankle protection (dual pivot on each side) as well as an enduro hiking style sole for under $300. its a top of the line $550 boot originally but they are on closeout everywhere..I got mine on ebay so I could still have a return policy if it didnt fit

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, guy_with_motorcycle said:

it might be good early on to decide what kind of protection you need and what kind you dont

when I discovered my brand new fox comp X could be easily bent laterally in half and therefore had zero ankle protection I returned them and searched for something that did..

seems to me dual-sporting will have lots of situations where ankle protection will be an important thing to have. 

you can get a forma predator 2.0 with fantastic ankle protection (dual pivot on each side) as well as an enduro hiking style sole for under $300. its a top of the line $550 boot originally but they are on closeout everywhere..I got mine on ebay so I could still have a return policy if it didnt fit

anyone looking for Forma Predator 2.0 on closeout should probably get on it sooner vs. later.  Last I looked colors/size choices are starting to get slim.  

Personally I think the Predator 2.0's are overkill for O.P.'s stated purpose.  I love my Forma Adventure boots, very comfortable for walking/hiking and provide reasonable protection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forma Adventure is my favorite 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...