Kickstarter grease

Hey guys

ive done some research but looking for definate answers. Have a leaking kickstarter shaft seal. Got replacemnet gonna install before this weekend.

Can i use lithium grease on the seal after i carefully use a screw to pull out the old one?

Additionally, can I use same lithium grease on shaft splines when putting kickstarter back on to avoid the hassle ive had when taking it off?

Was a biotch to take off took wd40 and a bunch of wiggleing- sometimes i can over do it so i dont wanna move it to hard and brake something. Will be using blue locktite on kickstart bolt (SUPER LOOSE when i took it off) have red but not interested in having to heat the bolt up to take off in future.

Is the bel ray lithium based? And would you suggest using it on the kickershaft splines for better removal/ reattachment or only in the seal?

By the way HRC27 ape reached out to me and said they recieve some 08 heads today. Dont know if your still looking or not. Sorry to change subjects again.

Serious answer.

Clean the kicker shaft. Assuming you can cleanly get the old seal off, engine oil is all you need on the shaft when reinstalling the seal. Do not grease the kicker splines. It will only attract dirt. Install it dry.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

When installing seals I wrap the splines with Scotch tape to protect the seal, and use some grease or oil.  The tape is strong and protects the seal from damage when sliding over the splines.

16 hours ago, KinGLizzErd said:

Is the bel ray lithiuo on then based? And would you suggest using it on the kickershaft splines for better removal/ reattachment or only in the seal?

Not that I know of and just the seal. Thanks for the Info on the head but mine Is new. 

It wont hurt anything to grease the seal.

Dont know what your fixation with lithium grease is, thats just the thickener.

Dont know what peoples fascination with belray waterproof grease is, it sucks ballz, its an aluminum complex grease, which is more water resistant than lithium grease.  There are much better examples of aluminum complex grease like schaffers 274.

Wont hurt anything to grease or use antisieze on the splines, you can put vasoline, spit, sylglide, slickoleum, assorted bodily fluids, teflon nobody would know, and it wont hurt anything.

I would probably use trans oil on the seal, or whatever grease, or slickoleum (my current favorite for seals)  and a tiny amount of antisieze on the splines.

I find that red loctight Rarely requires heat,

That bolt will loosen wether you use red or blue, a small drill and some tie wire perminently solves the issue.

On 4/22/2019 at 9:38 PM, EnglertRacing said:

It wont hurt anything to grease the seal.

Dont know what your fixation with lithium grease is, thats just the thickener.

Dont know what peoples fascination with belray waterproof grease is, it sucks ballz, its an aluminum complex grease, which is more water resistant than lithium grease.  There are much better examples of aluminum complex grease like schaffers 274.

Wont hurt anything to grease or use antisieze on the splines, you can put vasoline, spit, sylglide, slickoleum, assorted bodily fluids, teflon nobody would know, and it wont hurt anything.

I would probably use trans oil on the seal, or whatever grease, or slickoleum (my current favorite for seals)  and a tiny amount of antisieze on the splines.

I find that red loctight Rarely requires heat,

That bolt will loosen wether you use red or blue, a small drill and some tie wire perminently solves the issue.

Get the thread good and clean on both the bolt and nut/threaded hole. Ive seen red loctite spin the thread right off a new, ungalled screw when it was properly applied. But I argree with the safety wire comment. It rarely fails.

4 hours ago, Shawn_Mc said:

Get the thread good and clean on both the bolt and nut/threaded hole. Ive seen red loctite spin the thread right off a new, ungalled screw when it was properly applied. But I argree with the safety wire comment. It rarely fails.

Yes,

Some times it works too well,

Some times it doesnt work as well.

Probably cleanlieness, maybe old loctite doesnt work as well....

Dunno.