New bike for my dad...

So my dad is 69 and rides a crf250L. Which he likes the seat height but thats about it. He wishes it had some more power, usable power and far less weight. 

Every time he tucks the front end he gets really bruised and banged up from it smashing him.

So I've been looking around for him and have a couple in mind. A KTM 250 exc or maybe a xtrainer? 

On the xtrainer, how's top top speed? He likes to go on local rodes. Also, how is the power? Is it at all smooth and not "power bandy"?

He's no racer, just loves riding a little bit of everything and I'm not gonna let this 250l ruin the fun for him. 

Posted (edited)

Edit: KDX 200 would be a great budget choice, or perhaps certain years of a ktm 200 exc.
The Xtrainer can hit 70mph depending on gearing. It has more linear/mellow power band compared to other modern 2strokes. The XT is still a 2stroke with a "shorter" rpm range than that crf, and take some getting used to the power. It still has great torque thanks to being 300cc with a longer stroke than a 200rr or most 250's. However, the stock suspension (forks) is most suited to trails under 35mph and no big rocks or such. Going by who it's for, the forks won't be a detriment at all. The slightly lower seat height helps usually. The lower price of an Xtrainer can possibly go straight to adjusting suspension for rider weight or something.

As for 4strokes, perhaps a 250 xcF, or 350 would be good. If he needs a plated bike and 2strokes can't be plated where you are, that might limit your choice also. What year is his crf? I'm not totally sure, but many modern 4strokes like a xcwF/excF 350 would be 30+ lbs lighter than that crf and be great on power. A 350 is easy to ride with a 250-like power curve, just more hp/torque.

Someone else will likely add some other info.

Edited by TheSlayer
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

Kdx 200 or 220

Kdx  is fairly light and more of sit down and ride design. The ktm is a little hot for casual trail ride. If ktm then 250 four stroke set up for him

Including lowering if needed.

Edited by Wastate
  • Like 1

I have a 2005 ktm 200 exc great bike but sized wrong for me for how I ride.

I am 5ft 10 ,  seat hieght is 37inches a bit high for tight trails for me, I am a low intermediate rider. The main problem its cockpit is sized for someone  about 5ft 6inches and who leaps on up it to ride!! I put on handle bar risers and lower footpegs, that helped a lot but for me the bike is too low and narrow , hard to hang on while riding standing. 

Finding the right size bike the best u can very important. I recently got 

a 2008 ktm 300,  much much better. Larger cockpit same seat height as 2005 200. The newest ktm are going to 39 inches seat height,  too much for me.

Think about the size and weight of the bike. I got my wife a 1989 kdx 200. She can put her feet down, 36inche seat hieght, cockpit perfect sized for her, motor like a tractor but still explosive hit if wanted, super easy to start, its the perfect sit down and ride bike, except dated hardware and a bit heavy. She loves it.

• Like 1

KDX is a very versatile machine, is known to be a contender in the right hands. It also teaches you to move your body around to compensate for what the suspension doesn't offer.  It is very flickable, it is top heavy, which means (for me) it steers with the feet more than the arms. The KTM 200 2009, seem (to me) to be bottom heavy meaning you need to muscle them with your arms more. Also, the shorter wheel-base means you will win the chasing the rabbit game every time. 

• Like 1

Only gripe about a kdx is age. I know he won't want to go from a 2014 to a 90's bike.

I've found several 350 ktm's locally for good prices. A couple with Rekluse setups already too which is also a big benefit as his clutch hand got mangled several years ago and he lost a finger and doesn't like having to clutch much.

4 hours ago, Wastate said:

I have a 2005 ktm 200 exc great bike but sized wrong for me for how I ride.

I am 5ft 10 ,  seat hieght is 37inches a bit high for tight trails for me, I am a low intermediate rider. The main problem its cockpit is sized for someone  about 5ft 6inches and who leaps on up it to ride!! I put on handle bar risers and lower footpegs, that helped a lot but for me the bike is too low and narrow , hard to hang on while riding standing. 

Finding the right size bike the best u can very important. I recently got 

a 2008 ktm 300,  much much better. Larger cockpit same seat height as 2005 200. The newest ktm are going to 39 inches seat height,  too much for me.

Think about the size and weight of the bike. I got my wife a 1989 kdx 200. She can put her feet down, 36inche seat hieght, cockpit perfect sized for her, motor like a tractor but still explosive hit if wanted, super easy to start, its the perfect sit down and ride bike, except dated hardware and a bit heavy. She loves it.

35 minutes ago, slowngreen said:

Only gripe about a kdx is age. I know he won't want to go from a 2014 to a 90's bike.

I've found several 350 ktm's locally for good prices. A couple with Rekluse setups already too which is also a big benefit as his clutch hand got mangled several years ago and he lost a finger and doesn't like having to clutch much.

2000 era. Is he too proud? 

I could be wrong but from what you are saying I don't think he's going to like a 2-stroke.   You didn't say how tall he is but the KTM seats are really high.  That may or may not be a deal breaker.  You said he liked to ride on the road, so that implies it has to have a plate. 

The shortest, lightest, high performance street legal 4 stroke I can think of is going to be a Beta RR-S.  Pick your displacement, but I'm sure coming from a CRF250L that even the 350 or 390 are going to be a huge power upgrade.

Doc

• Like 1

He just asked me about a crf250x. He found an 07, one owner for $3500. 

They are listed as 226 lbs dry. Is the power on them a good usable difference over the 250l?

I found several lowering links too so that won't be an issue.  Are their carbs pretty good?

And no he's not too proud. But going back 14 years isn't too exciting and I don't blame him for not wanting that old of a bike if he can get a good newer option.

lol, see i think going back is exciting. But that is just me I guess. 

• Like 1

I've been riding KTM for years...my previous ride was a WR450F.

My adult son recently acquired a 2015 WR250F (the bike was totally upgraded in 2015), the pure off road version...plenty of power and great suspension....he is 6Ft / 190 pounds and is a fairly new intermediate rider.  He LOVES that bike!

The suspension is set as plush as possible for woods riding/single track and the occasional logging road between trails. I ride with him all the time...its a great bike!!

AND...you can easily get a lowering link..I put one on my 450.

Don't mean to muddy the waters...but these bikes are very solidly built, have good amounts of controllable power, have excellent suspension, are extremely reliable, have high re-sale value, parts are available everywhere and there is an extensive dealer network. Now they are a bit heavier than the KTMs...no question...but if you're not a speed demon or an "A" rider...I'm not sure that's as big a deal as some might want to believe.

If a plate is required..there is the "R" version which is street legal...but will have less power and weigh more.

I love my 350 XCF-W....best bike I have ever owned...but I am also very impressed with the 2015 and later WR250Fs.

• Like 1

2007 crf250x ,  I have not ride one yet, the reviews I seen are favorable, need some mods to get the power up. If need major mods for the power u want look elsewhere.

Most likely a good fun bike if in good condition.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slowngreen said:

I've found several 350 ktm's locally for good prices

Not sure that's far less weight than a CRF250L.

KTM 250 or 300 XCW.

crf250x will weigh every bit of 249# with fuel, and not feel much lighter than the 250L. 

beta xtrainer. 216# before fuel, broad power, 6 speeds, electric start, plated in most states, and a blast to ride. It's a chick bike in my house, only because it's what my wife rides. But it will climb anything, and is predictable. There are also many out there that show up for sale used with very low use. Facebook groups for the xtrainer have bikes for sale nearly every week. 35.8" seat height, and suspension can be worked out to perform VERY well. 

614918189_KARENMOAB.thumb.jpg.74635885e2c8475efe0514324543f898.jpg

Second bike in is the xtrainer. rest are 300RR

image.png.5a3b69a21de86dea6eb2588f8447b3bd.png

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

His 250l is 315lbs with a fender rack. 250lbs is a significant step in the right direction. 

Thanks for all the replies, glad there are good options out there. 

He sat on an Xtrainer a few weeks ago at our dealer and really liked how it felt. 

He used to have an xt350, hated the weight but liked the power.

Edited by slowngreen

14 hours ago, redrider144 said:

Not sure that's far less weight than a CRF250L.

KTM 250 or 300 XCW.

KTM 350 XC-F is lighter than both the KTM 250 XCW and 300 XCW.  221 pounds vs 222 pound.  The KTM 350 EXC-F is 237 pounds.   None of those are close to the CRF250L's weight of 322 pounds.

Doc