2005 rm 125 question

Hey I picked up a 2005 rm 125 for my kx 250f with a a warped head straight trade. The rm runs nice, but the owner says last rebuild was a year ago. He didn’t have a hour meter but he said he rode every other weekend maybe even less often only in the summer and spring ish time of the year. Bike starts first kick every time. Should I rebuild it or do you think I can get another 15 hours maybe about of it I mean it starts first kick and sounds clean and Itd suck if I rebuilt it if the top end only has 20-30 hours on it

Really a judgment call at this point. The top end could go in another hour of riding or another 30 hours of riding. It’s always a crapshoot when you buy a used bike, and I guess it partly depends on the type of riding you do and how much you’re asking of the revs.

But ultimately you’re saying it runs strong right now, so why not just continue to ride it like you stole it?

Meanwhile, you can at least visually gauge things by removing the cylinder head (top of piston) and cylinder, with the latter always being far more telling since you can inspect the skirt of the piston and cylinder bore for signs of damage/wear.

But once you remove the cylinder head and cylinder, you’ll want to replace the gaskets and O-rings of course. Never attempt to reuse.

And while you’re at it since you have it apart, you might as well get a piston, pin and ring kit and replace those too. Haha. Only partly joking, since that’s really the only way for you to know in advance of blowing things on the trail how many hours are on the motor since you will have rebuilt it yourself.

Really a judgment call at this point. The top end could go in another hour of riding or another 30 hours of riding. It’s always a crapshoot when you buy a used bike, and I guess it partly depends on the type of riding you do and how much you’re asking of the revs.

But ultimately you’re saying it runs strong right now, so why not just continue to ride it like you stole it?

Meanwhile, you can at least visually gauge things by removing the cylinder head (top of piston) and cylinder, with the latter always being far more telling since you can inspect the skirt of the piston and cylinder bore for signs of damage/wear.

But once you remove the cylinder head and cylinder, you’ll want to replace the gaskets and O-rings of course. Never attempt to reuse.

And while you’re at it since you have it apart, you might as well get a piston, pin and ring kit and replace those too. Haha. Only partly joking, since that’s really the only way for you to know in advance of blowing things on the trail how many hours are on the motor since you will have rebuilt it yourself.

Honestly I ride pretty hard I ride freestyle so I’ll probably slap a top end in after a ride or two
  • Like 1