CRF230F vs CRF250F

If you were going to throw down on a new 2019, which would you go with?  For those who have ridden both, does the extra cc's of the 250 make up for the extra 15 lbs?  My dealer has both in stock and the price difference is only $200.  Been looking for a year or so now for a used 230 but none have turned up, so it looks like brandy spankin' new is the way I'm gonna go.

• Like 1

Pretty sure that the 4 guys that have owned both have already commented.  Not sure there is much new info out there at the moment.  Best of luck with your decision.  I have the 230 and love it.  I'd be up for the 250 if I was in the market.  I'd probably go 250 if it was only a $200 difference.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mammut said:

I'm not fat, or a girl.  Should I be looking at a different bike?

Depends, maybe? What are you looking to do and what experience and riding are you going to do. 

The 230’s have a lot of torque and are easy and fun bikes to ride. They are somewhat limited until they get modified. Lots of parts are known for modifications to the 230. 

The 250 is very new and I think it will make a suitable similar fun bike. It is now limited because it is so new and desperately needs a fuel injection tuner. They likely run too lean stock like many FI bikes. After a FI tuner is made mods will follow on the 250. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ramz said:

Love your blog!

Let me know how you like the Maxxis Trial Maxx tire. I bought the front tire version but haven't tried it yet - waiting on OKO carb parts.

There's a great buy on these now if you buy four - save $20. Mix/match two fronts and two rears.

https://www.2wheel.com/maxxis-m7319-trial-maxx-front-tires.html

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

Depends, maybe? What are you looking to do and what experience and riding are you going to do. 

The 230’s have a lot of torque and are easy and fun bikes to ride. They are somewhat limited until they get modified. Lots of parts are known for modifications to the 230. 

The 250 is very new and I think it will make a suitable similar fun bike. It is now limited because it is so new and desperately needs a fuel injection tuner. They likely run too lean stock like many FI bikes. After a FI tuner is made mods will follow on the 250. 

Just want a trailbike.  My racing days are over.

15 minutes ago, ramz said:

Which do you like better?

4/6/2019 - Ark Hills

After refueling, an oil change, EJK settings adjustment, and a day off, I'm back on the road again. This time, a bit more aggressive on the throttle, with excellent results. The jetting is much more reasonable with hardly any rich feel anywhere. The 250F is really showing up well; I may not ride the 230F for a few months! This bike is FUN. Can't wait for the Renazco seat and Bruce's damper rod mods. Still waiting on backordered damper rods from Honda.

4/8/2019 - Ark Hills

Warm sunny day. I have the new widened footpegs on, and the bent shifter positioned better (see mods page). Very comfy for my feet. With the roads drying out, I can ride a bit faster and really feel the wind in my face. I tweaked the EJK settings.

Later, when I got into some rolling dips and rises, I practiced low speed climbouts. Go over a rise and roll off the throttle. At the bottom, don't down shift, but let the bike dig deep and torque up hill. Not bad. Not a 230F, but not bad at all. Tweaking the EJK settings made the pullouts smooth, with no richness lag.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

The TST is not open yet, so the 250F gets the nod for now.
In another month, I'll take the 250F to the high country and see how she does.

For now, the 230F (both of 'em) sits neglected in the garage while I put on more break-in miles on the 250F.
Whoot.

CRF250F188Pano.jpg.269784d025f65d59f38d7922ef1e61cc.jpg

:ride:

Edited by ramz
tyo
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, ramz said:

4/6/2019 - Ark Hills

After refueling, an oil change, EJK settings adjustment, and a day off, I'm back on the road again. This time, a bit more aggressive on the throttle, with excellent results. The jetting is much more reasonable with hardly any rich feel anywhere. The 250F is really showing up well; I may not ride the 230F for a few months! This bike is FUN. Can't wait for the Renazco seat and Bruce's damper rod mods. Still waiting on backordered damper rods from Honda.

4/8/2019 - Ark Hills

Warm sunny day. I have the new widened footpegs on, and the bent shifter positioned better (see mods page). Very comfy for my feet. With the roads drying out, I can ride a bit faster and really feel the wind in my face. I tweaked the EJK settings.

Later, when I got into some rolling dips and rises, I practiced low speed climbouts. Go over a rise and roll off the throttle. At the bottom, don't down shift, but let the bike dig deep and torque up hill. Not bad. Not a 230F, but not bad at all. Tweaking the EJK settings made the pullouts smooth, with no richness lag.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

The TST is not open yet, so the 250F gets the nod for now.
In another month, I'll take the 250F to the high country and see how she does.

For now, the 230F (both of 'em) sits neglected in the garage while I put on more break-in miles on the 250F.
Whoot.

:ride:

Thanks.  Say you didn't have a tuner though, and just ran the FI stock?  Is it pretty bad?

Edited by Mammut

IF I were laying down cash for a BRAND NEW FOO FOO BIKE...

I would maybe consider the 250f over the 230....

But my paradigm is that I modify everything... So I look for a great deal on an older bike and have plenty of budget to modify the machine to my liking...

Personally I would HATE and be BORED OUT OF MY MIND...

With either one of the bikes the way they come off the showroom floor..

But that all comes from personal preference....

I have never looked at a bike as "just a trail bike"...

So it's not possible to know what anyone asking which bike is better with out knowing:

"for what??"

Just to buy and putt around trails on.... 250f seems fine

• Like 1