Total hour before rebuild or bow up on 14-18 bikes?

Hey guys,i want some fact about how many hour did you do before you rebuilding your yz250f 14-18 or you blow up,thanks

Modern 4-strokes don't just "blow up."  ?

Without any details of how you ride and what kind of riding you do, your question is entirely pointless.  You may as well have asked how often to change bodywork?

If you are a a rider that hits the rev limiter a ton, you need to get a new connecting rod if you have a 15 ASAP. Also fast riders should be doing top ends 20-40 hours. Weekend Warriors or C level riders I'd say top end 40-60 hours to be safe but I've seen these bikes go 70+ hours without even having the valves checked. I wouldn't recommend that. Just go by what the manual says and you will be fine.

• Like 1

I realize there is quite a difference in the motors but I have a WR250f motor that prob has couple of hundred hours on the original piston and no plans to change it anytime soon.  4- strokes don't just blow up for no reason.

• Like 1

Top ends and a timing chain are cheap. Why risk it?

• Like 1

I have a 2014 so i remplaced the rod and the top end at 60 hours and now i’m 100 hours.so i will do a top end now before the summer.and I don’t know when i will have to change the valve ?

• Like 1

I am a A ish rider and am hard on bikes. I usually put about a 150 per year and then sell the bike every year. I replace pistons at 20-25 hours. I have cracked the top of the piston between the valve cutouts a few times and the manuals say to replace around 12 hours. I have had the bike "blow up" a few times. Its a whole lot cheaper to replace more often then necessary then to have one "blow up." Also a whole lot faster. Anyone need cylinders or heads for 2018 yz250F's. I have a few oem ones that have been re-plated (cylinders) and new valve seats installed. Always do a cam chain when you do a top end.

• Like 2

I did 150 hours on my 14 250F, never rebuilt. Still ran perfect. 

150 hours on my 15 FX, will do top end a cam chain soonish. 

Fast B/slow A woods rider, not particularly hard on bikes. 

206hrs on a WR 2106my used for woods and cross country

Was burning a bit of oil but otherwise fine

Piston still measured in tol as did cylinder20181201_155242.jpg.48d4c072958e946ebdb50abbf3142074.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vintage Not Pimpage said:

I did 150 hours on my 14 250F, never rebuilt. Still ran perfect. 

150 hours on my 15 FX, will do top end a cam chain soonish. 

Fast B/slow A woods rider, not particularly hard on bikes. 

Thanks for this.  After reading previous posts I was stressing a bit.  I bought my bike from an A level rider and it has 40 hrs total on it.  The big bore kit apparently was put in at 10 hrs.  

I will be extraordinary easy on the engine because the riding we do is all slow, technical so I suspect the current piston will last a long time yet.

When you guys are saying "rebuilt the top end" what are you meaning exactly?   For reference I have a 2015 WR250F. 

thanks

bought a 2015 YZ250F that had blown up at 89 hours becuase the Conrod hadn't been changed. it went straight through the cylinder