Jump to content

Best 4 stroke trail bike, KTM 350 EXC-f?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

So I recently purchased a 2019 KTM exc-f. This may sound bold, but I think it is the best trail bike I have ever ridden. Even with the all street legal compliance parts. 

Anyone have different thoughts? 

Just curious on what other bikes people are pumped about.

Edited by Timothy Whitney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Depends what kind of terrain and how fast your normal pace is...but it’s definitely up there!

??

250 & 300 off-road two strokes are pretty amazing too if you haven’t ridden one. 

Edited by G.P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, G.P. said:

Depends what kind of terrain and how fast your normal pace is...but it’s definitely up there!

??

250 & 300 off-road two strokes are pretty amazing too if you haven’t ridden one. 

If i can ever rationalize a second bike I will get a 250 tpi! 

I have never been on one, but i bet they are awesome. My yz 250 was sweet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Son's 18 FX350 ( non street legal) Husky sure is a rocket on the trails and lighter than my '17 300 xc ...sheesh.

 

Joe

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slotracer577 said:

The 350 is an awesome bike. I found a rekluse made it even better. Got rid of the pesky flameouts.

Nice! Which rekluse did you go with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

Son's 18 FX350 ( non street legal) Husky sure is a rocket on the trails and lighter than my '17 300 xc ...sheesh.

 

Joe

Sheesh! i thought the 300 would be lighter, but i guess those mx bikes are feathers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Timothy Whitney said:

Sheesh! i thought the 300 would be lighter, but i guess those mx bikes are feathers!

221 pounds ! wow, for a 4 stroke.  Oh, and the FX is not the mx model as it is just the full on off road one.

Joe

Edited by trailmeisterjoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

221 pounds ! wow, for a 4 stroke.  Oh, and the FX is not the mx model as it is just the full on off road one.

Joe

Oh yeah, the FC is the mx bike. So many  Abbreviations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Nice! Which rekluse did you go with?


Core, but they have changed the names now. I would go with the one with plates, hub, pressure plate, and cover. When I got mine the extra plates offered by the core were needed as the plain exp used 2 less plates and slipped.
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put a Vortex ECU on it and it'll run like the engineers designed it to run.   It's not KTM's fault, the EPA makes them run crazy lean.  

My 350 would run the fan constantly in single track.  With the Vortex last weekend I rode about 3 hours in an enduro and the fan never came on.   It's more stall resistant too.

Doc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Put a Vortex ECU on it and it'll run like the engineers designed it to run.   It's not KTM's fault, the EPA makes them run crazy lean.  
My 350 would run the fan constantly in single track.  With the Vortex last weekend I rode about 3 hours in an enduro and the fan never came on.   It's more stall resistant too.
Doc
That sounds pretty cool. Any other pros and cons to the vortex on a ktm 350?

Thx b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Doc_d said:

Put a Vortex ECU on it and it'll run like the engineers designed it to run.   It's not KTM's fault, the EPA makes them run crazy lean.  

My 350 would run the fan constantly in single track.  With the Vortex last weekend I rode about 3 hours in an enduro and the fan never came on.   It's more stall resistant too.

Doc

Did you have to make any other modifications when you added the vortex ecu?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Gdtrfb said:

That sounds pretty cool. Any other pros and cons to the vortex on a ktm 350?

Thx b

The pros are you pick up some power and it just runs better everywhere.  The Vortex does have multiple maps and you can get a map switch, but to be honest I haven't messed around with that.  You can also get software to be able to tweak the maps yourself, but again, that's not something I'm interested in as it runs great on the stock maps. 

The only con is that I had a hard time with starting in very cold temps (30F - 10F) with a stone cold motor.  It starts fine in cold temps once it's run that day.  It would just crank and crank on the first start.  I talked to the guys at Vortex and they explained how their fueling strategy worked for starting and gave me some tips on how to start it in cold temps.  It's no big deal once you know.  When it's really cold you just give the starter a few quick taps before you hold it down.  Each quick tap injects a small squirt of fuel so in very cold temps that's kind of like giving it a little choke.  But I think that cold start issue might be particular to my year as the guys with the '17+ doesn't seem to have it.  But again it's absolutely zero issue once you know.

13 hours ago, Timothy Whitney said:

 

Did you have to make any other modifications when you added the vortex ecu?

My bike is a '16 XCF-W which is basically a factory desmogged EXC-F.  With an EXC-F you probably need to remove all the emissions crap and at least open up the muffler end cap (or throw a slip-on muffler on).  I think the '17s and newer also have some restrictive reeds in the intake that need to be removed.

I think I saw a video showing a dyno of a 350 EXC-F stock and then desmogged, open exhaust and Vortex.  I want to say stock the restricted EXC-F put out something like 39 HP and desmogged and running the vortex it put out 48 HP. 

My bike had a little more HP to start with since I didn't have all that emissions crap, so the difference I experienced was probably smaller than an EXC-F owner would experience, but it was still worth it.  The peak power isn't a big deal to me because 99.95% of my riding is single track and I'm rarely ever pinning it in the woods.  But just the fact it runs much better everywhere, runs much cooler and is more stall resistant is worth it.

Doc

Doc

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 9:09 PM, Timothy Whitney said:

So I recently purchased a 2019 KTM exc-f. This may sound bold, but I think it is the best trail bike I have ever ridden. Even with the all street legal compliance parts. 

Anyone have different thoughts? 

Just curious on what other bikes people are pumped about.

Humblebrag. 

Isnt this the what bike should I buy forum?  Did you have a question about what bike to buy since you already bought the best trail bike ever built?

Should we shut down this subforum since we conclude this is the one and only bike for everyone and no further need for discussion?

?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SilvFx said:

Humblebrag. 

Isnt this the what bike should I buy forum?  Did you have a question about what bike to buy since you already bought the best trail bike ever built?

Should we shut down this subforum since we conclude this is the one and only bike for everyone and no further need for discussion?

?

 

 

Edited by Timothy Whitney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StevetheSnake said:

The stock restricted exc ktms suck. The derestricted Vortex equipped ktms rock.

Ask me how I know.  

97B5E372-A8B2-49C5-AC71-D441A54ABE7A.jpeg

Is that the stock header?  Where'd you get the heat shield?  I burned two separate holes in a brand new pair of pants during an Enduro last weekend so I was looking for one.  I've found a few universals ones but they look like they don't cover much pipe and look kind of crappy.

Doc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

Is that the stock header?  Where'd you get the heat shield?  I burned two separate holes in a brand new pair of pants during an Enduro last weekend so I was looking for one.  I've found a few universals ones but they look like they don't cover much pipe and look kind of crappy.

Doc

https://www.ktm-parts.com/201096.html

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doc_d said:

Is that the stock header?  Where'd you get the heat shield?  I burned two separate holes in a brand new pair of pants during an Enduro last weekend so I was looking for one.  I've found a few universals ones but they look like they don't cover much pipe and look kind of crappy.

Doc

Yes it is a stock header P3 carbon fiber makes the pipe guards. 

https://p3carbon.com/

Jeff aka bolt can give you a deal on them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...